Nova Scotia Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
4,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So after lugging food all winter to deer, planting another food plot which I said I would not do, I had deer up until April then gone. Had trail cams out during the summer, nothing. The strange thing is even no bears to speak off. I have my best site baited now for 5 weeks which there is no deer, no bears, birds, etc. I find this very very odd with feeding them through the winter and all, putting in a food plot. I am hearing the same from many in my area. It seems to be weird. I have hunted close to 5 weeks now, dismal. Its been a banner year for wild apples. Too much food? What are people seeing?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Was mentioning the same to a buddy last week. Strange but slightly different than your observations. Have had 4 trail cams out since Sep 01 and had one sickly old doe come in a couple of times and that was it. I did however get pics of 4 different bears and 5 different coyotes (3 yearlings still hanging around together and 2 loners). It's been plenty warm and probably still lots to eat ?... I guess the cameras don't always tell the whole story but so far I'm concerned I may be eating Kraft Dinner instead of deer meat this winter... :)

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
I helped with Baiting two Bear sites this year with a friend. All up in and around the South Mountain. No issues with Bears at either site. Both had Multiple Cubs as well. I am seeeing lots of Deer, there is tons of Apples this year, no shortage of food.They are in my Old Orchard every single day, no need to bait here. LOL Also saw my First Buck chasing a group of Does late last week. That season approaches soon.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Haven't had any deer pics in the last month (4 cams), with only the odd doe pic since about April. Quite a few coyote pics though...hopefully bump into them on Friday morning.

·
Registered
566 Posts
I haven't had much luck in my spot either, Had pictures of a 4pt the first week I put out apples....Then the bears showed up. Bears, bears and more bears. One of them even decided he'd help himself to the foam padding on my chair. He was nice enough to open the window of my popup blind and remove the chair before eating it thankfully. Lot's of sign in the woods though. I'm on the south mountain as well.

·
Registered
4,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I helped with Baiting two Bear sites this year with a friend. All up in and around the South Mountain. No issues with Bears at either site. Both had Multiple Cubs as well. I am seeeing lots of Deer, there is tons of Apples this year, no shortage of food.They are in my Old Orchard every single day, no need to bait here. LOL Also saw my First Buck chasing a group of Does late last week. That season approaches soon.
Don't want to see the bears. They ruin things each year. Not missing them. Finding out some things about bait this year. Many farms now have sprays they put on the apples depending on the weather. Ones to make the apple grow slow, fast, red, sweet, hard, soft, you name it. Deer don't seem to like them unless you wash them before hand or rain washes your bait site. Hearing the same thing about carrots (but not as bad) its what they wash them with. Just returned from the bait site, looks like the food was hit, no bear puke, so here goes this evening.

·
Registered
14,910 Posts
So after lugging food all winter to deer, planting another food plot which I said I would not do, I had deer up until April then gone. Had trail cams out during the summer, nothing. The strange thing is even no bears to speak off. I have my best site baited now for 5 weeks which there is no deer, no bears, birds, etc. I find this very very odd with feeding them through the winter and all, putting in a food plot. I am hearing the same from many in my area. It seems to be weird. I have hunted close to 5 weeks now, dismal. Its been a banner year for wild apples. Too much food? What are people seeing?
It s the same here. Over 500 pounds of apples out at my buds stands, beet tops , chard you name it and not even a doe or a track anywhere
But five watch me every day in the garden as they did all summer. Those normally vanish by now but not this year
Also none at my honey crisp trees in the yard which are full of apples and normally they are here this time of year daily eating them
IMO too warm at least here and they are still in their summer ranges and food everywhere still so they don't have to go to food plots or bait piles
I checked my book and I put the straw last year on my garlic Oct 28th the day after the first snow :( for comparison
Cheers

·
Registered
294 Posts
Your not alone! Everyone we have spoken too has had the same, no sign hardly at all. Lots of food out there for them, it has been a bumper year for wild apples, nuts, mushrooms .................

·
Registered
294 Posts
It s the same here. Over 500 pounds of apples out at my buds stands, beet tops , chard you name it and not even a doe or a track anywhere
But five watch me every day in the garden as they did all summer. Those normally vanish by now but not this year
Also none at my honey crisp trees in the yard which are full of apples and normally they are here this time of year daily eating them
IMO too warm at least here and they are still in their summer ranges and food everywhere still so they don't have to go to food plots or bait piles
I checked my book and I put the straw last year on my garlic Oct 28th the day after the first snow :( for comparison
Cheers
It has been a bumper year for wild stuff for them, they don't need to visit bait piles, just yet. They will!!

·
Registered
99 Posts
I've had apples out at two sites in Goffs for the last three weeks and so far the deer haven't touched them. So, I spread some peanut butter on a couple trees to see if that would bring them in. That brought in a bear or two but the bears didn't even eat the apples! I'm using wild apples. Maybe they're not sweet enough. :)

·
Administrator
10,319 Posts
My BIL drives around a few farms in the eveings looking at the resident deer hiding behind the fences and NO HUNTING signs...seeing over 100 /125 deer most evenings. The past 2 weeks th numbers have dropped to 10 to 15 per night (( IF they're lucky ! I think it's cuz they're dressed for winter and it's still summer here !
annnnd, yessss...green forbs and feed everywhere and wild apples galore hitting the ground now !

·
GREYBEARD
2,966 Posts
I had been seeing deer all Summer, in the past few weeks nothing.
I figured that it was too warm for them as well, last couple days it has been cooler here and still no deer.

·
Registered
14,910 Posts
The garden has done super well this year Joe, I was even still picking tomatoes up until this weather moved in. The potatoes not so well, but most other stuff really thrived. How did you get on? We never did make it your way again :(
Glad to hear on the garden you know where I am if you ever do :)
Beans and carrots sucked, garlic OK. Peppers by the wheel barrel and still over in the field growing
Potatoes best ever and the rest just OK cucumbers terrible other than the english cucumbers did well
Tomatoes first time I grew some outside in years and did me well for selling a ton of green tomatoes and still a lot in the field as you say
And my most exciting crop was sweet potatoes Yep I did manage to get about 40 pounds out of five different trial types and will share the story once mama gets a pic. They are curing now :)
Hope you are blessed with another deer this year
take care

·
Registered
296 Posts
Deer doing just fine in my neck of the woods. I have a couple small plantations using Tillage Radish from Scotian Gold that they seem to like but prefer Forage Turnip from other years. Each has their own advantages.

I eat awhile then lay down until hungry again...
Deep forest bait site.
Plant Tree Natural landscape Beak Wood

I eat the Tillage Radish planted this year but I prefer Forage Turnip as planted last year.
Plant Tree Sky Fawn Terrestrial animal

·
Registered
4,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Two slinked into the pile Thursday night followed by one face back in the shadows, really dark, snuck out of the blind and came home. Had a four pt visit at 9:30 this am, lucky to be 100lbs. Ate two carrots, proceeded on. Hopefully a path will develope.

1 - 20 of 75 Posts