Nova Scotia Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
15,796 Posts
So after lugging food all winter to deer, planting another food plot which I said I would not do, I had deer up until April then gone. Had trail cams out during the summer, nothing. The strange thing is even no bears to speak off. I have my best site baited now for 5 weeks which there is no deer, no bears, birds, etc. I find this very very odd with feeding them through the winter and all, putting in a food plot. I am hearing the same from many in my area. It seems to be weird. I have hunted close to 5 weeks now, dismal. Its been a banner year for wild apples. Too much food? What are people seeing?
It s the same here. Over 500 pounds of apples out at my buds stands, beet tops , chard you name it and not even a doe or a track anywhere
But five watch me every day in the garden as they did all summer. Those normally vanish by now but not this year
Also none at my honey crisp trees in the yard which are full of apples and normally they are here this time of year daily eating them
IMO too warm at least here and they are still in their summer ranges and food everywhere still so they don't have to go to food plots or bait piles
I checked my book and I put the straw last year on my garlic Oct 28th the day after the first snow :( for comparison
Cheers

·
Registered
15,796 Posts
The garden has done super well this year Joe, I was even still picking tomatoes up until this weather moved in. The potatoes not so well, but most other stuff really thrived. How did you get on? We never did make it your way again :(
Glad to hear on the garden you know where I am if you ever do :)
Beans and carrots sucked, garlic OK. Peppers by the wheel barrel and still over in the field growing
Potatoes best ever and the rest just OK cucumbers terrible other than the english cucumbers did well
Tomatoes first time I grew some outside in years and did me well for selling a ton of green tomatoes and still a lot in the field as you say
And my most exciting crop was sweet potatoes Yep I did manage to get about 40 pounds out of five different trial types and will share the story once mama gets a pic. They are curing now :)
Hope you are blessed with another deer this year
take care

·
Registered
15,796 Posts
Beautiful set up. But man get a better chair. Maybe it is just me but they kill my back
Cheers

·
Registered
15,796 Posts
Remember 3D was suppose to carry in my lazy boy but was a no show :)
Getting a bit worried about 3D I hope he is doing OK and just busy been a while since we have heard from him and normally he has a deer by now
Funny I have seen no deer here in my yard for months Gun season opens and yep last evening 5 at my apple trees one big body 8 point and this morning they were back . It is like they know when to stay out of the woods. Talked to two buds this morning. They have not even seen a doe so far at their bait piles and complaining :(
Cheers

·
Registered
15,796 Posts
Glad to hear for both of you. Bucks will come :) as you know in time with that many does around. Just a matter of finding the time to put in on the stand
Take care

·
Registered
15,796 Posts
So far since the start of muzzle season I am only home 3 hours each day. I don't think I can put much more time in unless I sleep in the blind. There is a very crafty deer following the does but will not show himself. He called a few away tonight but I stayed way beyond and no sign of him. Had 8 does come in tonight. I know the bugger is there, me thinking he has had a taste of hunting before and did not like it.
You will get him. I know you will. One of these nights he will screw up especially when he starts rutting
My bud has one like that but he shot him in the bottom of the front leg two years ago so this buck remembers the spot well :( He is not hard to pick out when he is seen. Old tri pod we call him now. Limps but sure has not slowed him down
Take care

·
Registered
15,796 Posts
Stumbling in the dark each morning to find the tree stand is a pain. Soon I will have to get up earlier:)
Why stumble. Don't you own a good head lamp for your head
Christ maybe it is me wearing a light in the pit for many years and so used to wearing one but I have a Black diamond I must have bought many years ago for setting up goose decoys and still wear it here many days in the yard and garden. No stumbling with that
They were expensive at one time but way down in price now
Cheers

·
Registered
15,796 Posts
With any luck this heavy frost today and cold will get some deer moving to your bait piles. Good Luck all

·
Registered
15,796 Posts
I think the buck is the only one not vaccinated thats why he is a loner :p -2, not a sound in the woods this am, odd, thought things would be moving. They may have gone for there boosters.
You may be right :)
Yes cold here today also with real heavy frost. One would have thought they would be moving for sure
My bud seen nothing at his bait so far today either and is getting tired :(
All the best with your hunt

·
Registered
15,796 Posts
The odd thing here is there also are no shots. I have been in the woods since end of September and can't recall a shot. Usually its like gun fight at the ok coral. Many are confused as to what is going on.
My god man open that good eye you have. Everyone knows you are unvaccinated so staying clear:D:D of you

·
Registered
15,796 Posts
Can we at least leave the " Vaxine Crap " for where it belongs in the other threadatleast , and read about what other gotta say about HUNTING for once !
Sorry wally watcher of the posts, My apologies
Would not say hello at micky d's the other morning could not even get eye contact and would have loved to have a quick chat and bought you guys breakfast
I was hurt :) NOT really but a simple hello would have been nice. I am not the asshole or monster you think and have nothing against you
My post was just a quick joke to my bud and not hurting anything IMO.
Carry on with your hunting stories
Event Extreme sport Dance Snow Entertainment

·
Registered
15,796 Posts
As for Mickey D 's did not even notice you , more into a covo with my son, When I'm i town I'm only focused at task at hand , and not who is around me .
No big deal there was seven in there at the time ( counting all of us ) and I was the only ugly 350 pounder.:) you walked by that said good morning
I am nosy and check the place out :) every where I go
Your son responded but yes you were yacking and so was I to buddy at the other table
They do a nice breakfast and my mrs favorite spot for such
maybe next time we can chat over coffee
take care

·
Registered
15,796 Posts
Here I supply apples and veggies to four stands for two friends, one stand has two does and the other three not a deer to be seen
Strange yes but also don't remember a November as warm as this in a long time
Apples trees are full in my yard ( which is real late ) and normally deer would be here every day seen them just twice in like 3 weeks and two does last night about 3.00 on the front drive
Still dam flys out there in the days
Hope it changes for all soon so you guys can tag out
My bud just cut 13 moose and less than 10 deer so far so not a banner year in the cape
Cheers

·
Registered
15,796 Posts
Nope , not me inside , Only thru the drive thru for us and we went thru at 4:30 am , thought you meant in the drive thru area or you sitting in parking lot , but I swear Not me inside .
As,I stated in my thread my day starts very early when trapping , still had a hour and1/2 drive b4 we even got to the first trail head on my first sets . So Ive gotta get out the door early as possible , drive thru is fastest and only option that time in the morning .
Makes sense since hard to miss me :D
Oh well I said good morning to an old fart with a beard and a young guy both in camo and rubber boots :p and wearing masks so faces were not seen 100%
Just came in and the old coyotes making quite a song tonight. Must have taken a deer by the sounds of it :(
We need more trappers like you. Keep up the good work and sharing your catches
take care

1 - 20 of 22 Posts