Nova Scotia Hunting Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So after lugging food all winter to deer, planting another food plot which I said I would not do, I had deer up until April then gone. Had trail cams out during the summer, nothing. The strange thing is even no bears to speak off. I have my best site baited now for 5 weeks which there is no deer, no bears, birds, etc. I find this very very odd with feeding them through the winter and all, putting in a food plot. I am hearing the same from many in my area. It seems to be weird. I have hunted close to 5 weeks now, dismal. Its been a banner year for wild apples. Too much food? What are people seeing?

·
Registered
4,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I helped with Baiting two Bear sites this year with a friend. All up in and around the South Mountain. No issues with Bears at either site. Both had Multiple Cubs as well. I am seeeing lots of Deer, there is tons of Apples this year, no shortage of food.They are in my Old Orchard every single day, no need to bait here. LOL Also saw my First Buck chasing a group of Does late last week. That season approaches soon.
Don't want to see the bears. They ruin things each year. Not missing them. Finding out some things about bait this year. Many farms now have sprays they put on the apples depending on the weather. Ones to make the apple grow slow, fast, red, sweet, hard, soft, you name it. Deer don't seem to like them unless you wash them before hand or rain washes your bait site. Hearing the same thing about carrots (but not as bad) its what they wash them with. Just returned from the bait site, looks like the food was hit, no bear puke, so here goes this evening.

·
Registered
4,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Two slinked into the pile Thursday night followed by one face back in the shadows, really dark, snuck out of the blind and came home. Had a four pt visit at 9:30 this am, lucky to be 100lbs. Ate two carrots, proceeded on. Hopefully a path will develope.

·
Registered
4,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Well the strange took a turn for the strange. Yesterday morning 5 does at the bait pile. Yesterday evening the same five does followed by a black doe with a party of seven. At one point last night 13 does ate off my bait pile, thats a lot of friggin legs. Standing room only. Not one horn on any head. Thats crazy.

·
Registered
4,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Glad to hear for both of you. Bucks will come :) as you know in time with that many does around. Just a matter of finding the time to put in on the stand
Take care
So far since the start of muzzle season I am only home 3 hours each day. I don't think I can put much more time in unless I sleep in the blind. There is a very crafty deer following the does but will not show himself. He called a few away tonight but I stayed way beyond and no sign of him. Had 8 does come in tonight. I know the bugger is there, me thinking he has had a taste of hunting before and did not like it.

·
Registered
4,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
You will get him. I know you will. One of these nights he will screw up especially when he starts rutting
My bud has one like that but he shot him in the bottom of the front leg two years ago so this buck remembers the spot well :( He is not hard to pick out when he is seen. Old tri pod we call him now. Limps but sure has not slowed him down
Take care
Stumbling in the dark each morning to find the tree stand is a pain. Soon I will have to get up earlier:)

·
Registered
4,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Why stumble. Don't you own a good head lamp for your head
Christ maybe it is me wearing a light in the pit for many years and so used to wearing one but I have a Black diamond I must have bought many years ago for setting up goose decoys and still wear it here many days in the yard and garden. No stumbling with that
They were expensive at one time but way down in price now
Cheers
Its the early morning drinking :p

·
Registered
4,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
They are vaccinated and cold doesn't bother them
Be thankful you came home with something :p for a change
I think the buck is the only one not vaccinated thats why he is a loner :p -2, not a sound in the woods this am, odd, thought things would be moving. They may have gone for there boosters.

·
Registered
4,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
Strange and sad. Yesterday at around 3:30 a partridge flew into the bait pile. After about 5 minutes the partridge is scared by something and I see black coming. Figuring its my porcupine friend I waited instead to see a very small baby bear. Late August there was a female with three really small cubs. This little fellow was on his own. After 15 minutes I decided to scare him off. Banged on the blind and hollered, off he ran. Two minutes later from the same path came 5 does. They ate for a few minutes then they got scared as a 4 point came into the site. Of they run. The four point weighed about 90lbs. He ate for 5 minutes then left the way he came. A few minutes later out come the baby bear again, stealing carrots and running back into the woods. A few minutes later he is scared back into the woods by a doe. The doe eats, and behind her is a two point. A few minutes later back comes the baby bear scaring both deer away again. I left with the little fellow curled up between two trees next to the bait pile. This could be problematic. Sad, but it looks like mom and siblings no longer exist. This little fellows faith is not looking good. I left him on the pile because he deserves a chance, no matter how slim it be. Might have to fill my blind with straw.

·
Registered
4,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
That is so sad, poor little thing. At least you have given that bear a meal or two, good for you. A bear at a deer bait site is not good, and in this case I would do the exact same thing, he or she needs a chance. On the deer front, not much has happened since the surprise doe we took a couple of weeks back. General season has been quiet the last couple of years but this year it is like the wild west around our neck of the woods. Shots and atv's everywhere.
The odd thing here is there also are no shots. I have been in the woods since end of September and can't recall a shot. Usually its like gun fight at the ok coral. Many are confused as to what is going on.

·
Registered
4,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
Well I have topped over 100 doe sightings in the past 5 weeks, two small bucks in a zone that's bucks only? Maybe its time DNR to at least have both sexes.

·
Registered
4,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
I’m finding just the opposite in zone 102. Lots of bucks … but not many does to speak of. Pics of 5 different bucks and only 2 does. I was getting lots of pics … then things went dry … now starting to pick up a bit. The two big ones have yet to show their faces in the daylight. I could have shot a 5 pointer, and a spike … but they get a pass this year and probably next year …
How about a trade off?

·
Registered
4,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #71 ·
All we can hope is that mother nature did it and not a hunter
Cheers
Yes it could be a car. I wondered this week when I only seen the one doe and fawn, there had been two does each with a fawn. I often thought of building a structure full of hay down in the woods that animals could take refuge in in bad weather but then of course so could coyotes. Its the sad part of hunting. Noticed the other day small bear prints on my blind wall, real tiny ones. I have a section at the top of the door thats a tarp, so small creatures could get in. Had a squirrel family use it one winter, they were not the best tenents they ate the center out of each chair cushion.

·
Registered
4,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #75 ·
So the little bear is still there but every so often a 300 lb one comes in and scares him off. The bigger bear looks like a female, runs in gathers up some carrots, leaves for 5 minutes then comes back. Its like she is taking them some wheres, suppose to cubs in a near by den? Only when it warms up like yesterday he/she shows up and heads into the woods the same place each time trying to carry more than one carrot. Usually any bear I have had comes to the bait pile to eat, and eat lots, laying there till full.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.