Nova Scotia Hunting Forum banner
21 - 40 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
14,910 Posts
Remember 3D was suppose to carry in my lazy boy but was a no show :)
Getting a bit worried about 3D I hope he is doing OK and just busy been a while since we have heard from him and normally he has a deer by now
Funny I have seen no deer here in my yard for months Gun season opens and yep last evening 5 at my apple trees one big body 8 point and this morning they were back . It is like they know when to stay out of the woods. Talked to two buds this morning. They have not even seen a doe so far at their bait piles and complaining :(
Cheers

·
Registered
296 Posts
Good to hear from you Bullet caster. I was scared you died from lead poisoning:p
I am far from a crack shot. My eyes in recent years are failing me and I shake like a cat passing razor blades!
I tested my gun before deer hunting with cast bullet reloads.
I am quite pleased with my groups and try to keep shots under 50 yards but am sure a good shooter would half the group size.
308 Win using a Parker-Hale Model 1200 Super
IVI Imperial brass
Almost a cloverleaf!

Handwriting Circle Sand dollar Drawing Gesture

Handwriting Font Material property Envelope Circle

·
Registered
4,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Well the strange took a turn for the strange. Yesterday morning 5 does at the bait pile. Yesterday evening the same five does followed by a black doe with a party of seven. At one point last night 13 does ate off my bait pile, thats a lot of friggin legs. Standing room only. Not one horn on any head. Thats crazy.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Well the strange took a turn for the strange. Yesterday morning 5 does at the bait pile. Yesterday evening the same five does followed by a black doe with a party of seven. At one point last night 13 does ate off my bait pile, thats a lot of friggin legs. Standing room only. Not one horn on any head. Thats crazy.
I think they have suddenly found the bait piles, we had 6 does at one site and 3 at another!! No bucks seen at all this year, seems to be a great deal of does here but no bucks.

·
Registered
4,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Glad to hear for both of you. Bucks will come :) as you know in time with that many does around. Just a matter of finding the time to put in on the stand
Take care
So far since the start of muzzle season I am only home 3 hours each day. I don't think I can put much more time in unless I sleep in the blind. There is a very crafty deer following the does but will not show himself. He called a few away tonight but I stayed way beyond and no sign of him. Had 8 does come in tonight. I know the bugger is there, me thinking he has had a taste of hunting before and did not like it.

·
Registered
14,910 Posts
So far since the start of muzzle season I am only home 3 hours each day. I don't think I can put much more time in unless I sleep in the blind. There is a very crafty deer following the does but will not show himself. He called a few away tonight but I stayed way beyond and no sign of him. Had 8 does come in tonight. I know the bugger is there, me thinking he has had a taste of hunting before and did not like it.
You will get him. I know you will. One of these nights he will screw up especially when he starts rutting
My bud has one like that but he shot him in the bottom of the front leg two years ago so this buck remembers the spot well :( He is not hard to pick out when he is seen. Old tri pod we call him now. Limps but sure has not slowed him down
Take care

·
Registered
4,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
You will get him. I know you will. One of these nights he will screw up especially when he starts rutting
My bud has one like that but he shot him in the bottom of the front leg two years ago so this buck remembers the spot well :( He is not hard to pick out when he is seen. Old tri pod we call him now. Limps but sure has not slowed him down
Take care
Stumbling in the dark each morning to find the tree stand is a pain. Soon I will have to get up earlier:)

·
Registered
294 Posts
The boys will show up, eventually! We filled our doe tag two weeks ago so we have time and patience. Good luck, I hope that crafty one screws up and shows himself.

·
Registered
14,910 Posts
Stumbling in the dark each morning to find the tree stand is a pain. Soon I will have to get up earlier:)
Why stumble. Don't you own a good head lamp for your head
Christ maybe it is me wearing a light in the pit for many years and so used to wearing one but I have a Black diamond I must have bought many years ago for setting up goose decoys and still wear it here many days in the yard and garden. No stumbling with that
They were expensive at one time but way down in price now
Cheers

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Gear yourself up with some push pins with red and green reflective tape on the heads . straight ahead is one red and one green .if the trail goes port ( left ) two reds , if the trail goes starboard (right ) two green . these are pretty much invisible during daylight hours . but shine up good in a headlamp or flashlight beam .

·
Registered
4,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Why stumble. Don't you own a good head lamp for your head
Christ maybe it is me wearing a light in the pit for many years and so used to wearing one but I have a Black diamond I must have bought many years ago for setting up goose decoys and still wear it here many days in the yard and garden. No stumbling with that
They were expensive at one time but way down in price now
Cheers
Its the early morning drinking :p

21 - 40 of 75 Posts