Nova Scotia Hunting Forum banner
41 - 60 of 75 Posts

·
GREYBEARD
2,966 Posts
Gear yourself up with some push pins with red and green reflective tape on the heads . straight ahead is one red and one green .if the trail goes port ( left ) two reds , if the trail goes starboard (right ) two green . these are pretty much invisible during daylight hours . but shine up good in a headlamp or flashlight beam .
That right there is some good planning, and great navigational use of port, starboard/red, green.
Impressive!!

·
Registered
4,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
They are vaccinated and cold doesn't bother them
Be thankful you came home with something :p for a change
I think the buck is the only one not vaccinated thats why he is a loner :p -2, not a sound in the woods this am, odd, thought things would be moving. They may have gone for there boosters.

·
Registered
14,910 Posts
I think the buck is the only one not vaccinated thats why he is a loner :p -2, not a sound in the woods this am, odd, thought things would be moving. They may have gone for there boosters.
You may be right :)
Yes cold here today also with real heavy frost. One would have thought they would be moving for sure
My bud seen nothing at his bait so far today either and is getting tired :(
All the best with your hunt

·
Registered
4,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
Strange and sad. Yesterday at around 3:30 a partridge flew into the bait pile. After about 5 minutes the partridge is scared by something and I see black coming. Figuring its my porcupine friend I waited instead to see a very small baby bear. Late August there was a female with three really small cubs. This little fellow was on his own. After 15 minutes I decided to scare him off. Banged on the blind and hollered, off he ran. Two minutes later from the same path came 5 does. They ate for a few minutes then they got scared as a 4 point came into the site. Of they run. The four point weighed about 90lbs. He ate for 5 minutes then left the way he came. A few minutes later out come the baby bear again, stealing carrots and running back into the woods. A few minutes later he is scared back into the woods by a doe. The doe eats, and behind her is a two point. A few minutes later back comes the baby bear scaring both deer away again. I left with the little fellow curled up between two trees next to the bait pile. This could be problematic. Sad, but it looks like mom and siblings no longer exist. This little fellows faith is not looking good. I left him on the pile because he deserves a chance, no matter how slim it be. Might have to fill my blind with straw.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Strange and sad. Yesterday at around 3:30 a partridge flew into the bait pile. After about 5 minutes the partridge is scared by something and I see black coming. Figuring its my porcupine friend I waited instead to see a very small baby bear. Late August there was a female with three really small cubs. This little fellow was on his own. After 15 minutes I decided to scare him off. Banged on the blind and hollered, off he ran. Two minutes later from the same path came 5 does. They ate for a few minutes then they got scared as a 4 point came into the site. Of they run. The four point weighed about 90lbs. He ate for 5 minutes then left the way he came. A few minutes later out come the baby bear again, stealing carrots and running back into the woods. A few minutes later he is scared back into the woods by a doe. The doe eats, and behind her is a two point. A few minutes later back comes the baby bear scaring both deer away again. I left with the little fellow curled up between two trees next to the bait pile. This could be problematic. Sad, but it looks like mom and siblings no longer exist. This little fellows faith is not looking good. I left him on the pile because he deserves a chance, no matter how slim it be. Might have to fill my blind with straw.
That is so sad, poor little thing. At least you have given that bear a meal or two, good for you. A bear at a deer bait site is not good, and in this case I would do the exact same thing, he or she needs a chance. On the deer front, not much has happened since the surprise doe we took a couple of weeks back. General season has been quiet the last couple of years but this year it is like the wild west around our neck of the woods. Shots and atv's everywhere.

·
Registered
4,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
That is so sad, poor little thing. At least you have given that bear a meal or two, good for you. A bear at a deer bait site is not good, and in this case I would do the exact same thing, he or she needs a chance. On the deer front, not much has happened since the surprise doe we took a couple of weeks back. General season has been quiet the last couple of years but this year it is like the wild west around our neck of the woods. Shots and atv's everywhere.
The odd thing here is there also are no shots. I have been in the woods since end of September and can't recall a shot. Usually its like gun fight at the ok coral. Many are confused as to what is going on.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Well I have topped over 100 doe sightings in the past 5 weeks, two small bucks in a zone that's bucks only? Maybe its time DNR to at least have both sexes.
I totally agree, it is funny you should mention it as hubby and I noted the other day that many folks are seeing loads of does and not many bucks here (Zone 103) We are also buck only. I think DNR need to change to both sexes. Lately our cams have shown all does, not one single buck. That is worrying.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
I’m finding just the opposite in zone 102. Lots of bucks … but not many does to speak of. Pics of 5 different bucks and only 2 does. I was getting lots of pics … then things went dry … now starting to pick up a bit. The two big ones have yet to show their faces in the daylight. I could have shot a 5 pointer, and a spike … but they get a pass this year and probably next year …

·
Registered
294 Posts
I’m finding just the opposite in zone 102. Lots of bucks … but not many does to speak of. Pics of 5 different bucks and only 2 does. I was getting lots of pics … then things went dry … now starting to pick up a bit. The two big ones have yet to show their faces in the daylight. I could have shot a 5 pointer, and a spike … but they get a pass this year and probably next year …
Maybe the 'OK Coral' bunch here around Chelsea have shot all the bucks!! It is doe crazy here.

·
Registered
14,910 Posts
Can we at least leave the " Vaxine Crap " for where it belongs in the other threadatleast , and read about what other gotta say about HUNTING for once !
Sorry wally watcher of the posts, My apologies
Would not say hello at micky d's the other morning could not even get eye contact and would have loved to have a quick chat and bought you guys breakfast
I was hurt :) NOT really but a simple hello would have been nice. I am not the asshole or monster you think and have nothing against you
My post was just a quick joke to my bud and not hurting anything IMO.
Carry on with your hunting stories
Event Extreme sport Dance Snow Entertainment

·
Registered
4,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
How about a trade off?

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
Sorry wally watcher of the posts, My apologies
Would not say hello at micky d's the other morning could not even get eye contact and would have loved to have a quick chat and bought you guys breakfast
I was hurt :) NOT really but a simple hello would have been nice. I am not the asshole or monster you think and have nothing against you
My post was just a quick joke to my bud and not hurting anything IMO.
Carry on with your hunting stories
View attachment 97081
As for Mickey D 's did not even notice you , more into a covo with my son, When I'm i town I'm only focused at task at hand , and not who is around me .

41 - 60 of 75 Posts