Nova Scotia Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
5,565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Noticed the ammo shelves almost empty today with a sign posted "all ammunitiom sales final". Anyone have any knowledge on the matter?

Reactions: Tyson10gauge

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
"all ammunitiom sales final".
I would take that to mean no exchange or refund as that seems to be standard at big box retailers now . cabelas/bp here in dartmouth has the same sign posted at the cash .

·
Registered
3,716 Posts
Spoke with one the Managers there , It has to do with the owner not placing orders as needed on just about everything instore , half pallets of ammo come in and gone quicker than it hits the shelf or just sits up in warehouse cause cannot get half them in there to do their jobs properly , place has gone down hill since new owner Ken took over 4 yrs ago , long time employees gone due to hiring practices .

As far as No exchange on ammo , it's always been final sale policy there , Assistant manager said no one but owner is allowed to do the ordering , customers trying get product go else where cause of his lack of understanding . CT over in North Sydney has lots of Ammo in stock , said same thing Sydney store just not bringing in enough to keep sales going , word has it Store is in works for new owner as Corporate is not happy with Sales at Sydney store and too many Complaints with it .

·
Registered
20 Posts
The gun shops I’ve been in over the last year or so look like old mother Hubbards cupboard, BARE! Saying that, most gun shops won’t take ammo back, no returns or exchanges and that’s been the case for years. Know what your buying. Taking ammo back would be a liability to the store. Supply is a major issue and owners who aren’t savvy to the firearms community are hurting not only their sales but customers as well.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Just speaking from experience as a former CT employee in the Firearms section, that sign is just referring to the fact that they don’t accept returns on ammo like the others have stated. However, I do believe that each store can choose to sell or not to sell firearms/ammo on their own terms, so it’s possible a store could stop carrying them.

·
Registered
5,565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Regardless of signage, the thing that really caught my eye was that almost all the ammo was gone. Even the crazy expensive stuff that never seems to move. It wasn't too long ago, I walked past the ammo display and it was full. I don't buy factory ammo other than rimfire so, it doesn't really effect me. Still though, not good for those who do buy it.

·
Registered
3,083 Posts
The guy at Bridgewater CT said their ammo shipments are almost non-existent. Just can’t get it. Some smaller shops around here still have a fair bit, but not like it used to be.

·
Registered
16,466 Posts
The guy at Bridgewater CT said their ammo shipments are almost non-existent. Just can’t get it. Some smaller shops around here still have a fair bit, but not like it used to be.
And he is right can order until one is blue in the face it will make no difference right now. Plus CT corporate wants out of firearms and ammo per their memo of 2018 and all corporate owned stores have stopped but most CT are private owned so still up to the owner to do as they please. New owner that sees the old memo and agrees no more ammo in store
That happened after the event in BC in late 2017 plus bill c-71 made it harder for owners to even sell ammo etc
Cheers

Thank you c-71

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
Dartmouth crossing has maybe 5 guns left in the display cases, I am guessing they are getting out of the business after a couple break ins and thefts. Ammo stock is pretty bare there too, some shotgun shells and .223 ammo, that's about it.

·
Registered
460 Posts
For what its worth, I was in the Halifax Army Navy store on Agricola St. today and they had a fair selection of ammo compared to some places I've seen around here. Looked like they had some of the older less common calibres.
Didn't have .303 British though.

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
For what its worth, I was in the Halifax Army Navy store on Agricola St. today and they had a fair selection of ammo compared to some places I've seen around here. Looked like they had some of the older less common calibres.
Didn't have .303 British though.
The older stuff has probably just always been there and never sold before or after these shortages we are seeing now.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Canadian tire in Ft Mac has a complete selection of just about any ammo you could want along with the full line of Hornady projectiles,Barnes bullets,Nosler bullets,Hornady and Nosler brass. The guy behind the counter says they have no trouble getting most stuff they order so if the Sydney store wants stock it can be ordered.

·
Registered
16,466 Posts
Interesting North American ammo shortage most deliveries backed up over a year and the boys on the alberta hunting form crying they cannot get what they need but buddy the CT counter guy says order Sydney and you will get what you want.( maybe in a year plus) I have shared your find however with a few friends on the alberta site so they can share this and clean out Ft Mac also since I know they are hurting like most for ammo etc
Cheers

they asked if it is the one on
1 Hospital Street ???

·
Registered
3,716 Posts
My Cousin who lives in Fort Mac tells me zero issues getting reloading supplies of any kind or factory ammo . He told me straight out give me anything you need for ammo and I'll have it with me next trip home .

As stated by Caperaway , the CT out there is fully stocked , lots of guys buy it to stock up at home when out working . He reads the online forums as well and laughs about shortages , He goes to Edmonton regularly and sees bare shelves but yet goes in Calgary and get what ever he wants on the spot from any of t he local dealers .

Sydney Store also recently had employees who refused to be trained in Sporting good cause they were " OFFENDED " by what is sold in that dept.
example " the misses ordered a gun case for our daughter for Xmas , showed instock, along with tools for our son , went in to pick up the order paid in full only to have the gun case cancelled cause the employee was " OFFENDED " by what the item was designed to carry and refused to pick it from the dept.

This is what you deal with in retail today Snowflakes !

·
Registered
875 Posts
The main store in Ft Mac doesn't sell ammo. They have a totally separate outdoor store that is like a mini Cabelas. Actually they stock more long guns than the Cabelas in Edmonton I was in last weekend and had more ammo and supplies. Picked up a couple hundred Hornady 6.5 140gn ELD-Ms a couple days ago at Can Tire.
I've been buying them there consistently for the last two years at regular prices while watching them sell at auction for double and triple. They have gone up to $65 from $49 in the last year.

·
Registered
16,466 Posts
The main store in Ft Mac doesn't sell ammo. They have a totally separate outdoor store that is like a mini Cabelas. Actually they stock more long guns than the Cabelas in Edmonton I was in last weekend and had more ammo and supplies. Picked up a couple hundred Hornady 6.5 140gn ELD-Ms a couple days ago at Can Tire.
I've been buying them there consistently for the last two years at regular prices while watching them sell at auction for double and triple. They have gone up to $65 from $49 in the last year.
Thanks for the reply. They sure did at one time for years before and during the outdoor store and covid plus they still have over 400 ammo related items not taken off their web page to be cleaned up
the outdoor store only opened in may of 2016 and not a typical CT in fact quite special so now I understand the full shelves there
Any how I know where you are talking about now and will share
This one I assume
Thanks again

·
Registered
875 Posts
Canadian tire has alot of buying power compared to mom and pop outfits so getting stock is easier for them. Many of the AB Canadian tires have large gun and ammo sections. Edmonton Common,Leduc,Ft Mac all have remarkable gun sections. I was in Leduc today and they have 12 display cabinets of guns,top and bottom along with 8 sections of ammo. Some calibers were thin on selection but they had all the common stuff for the most part. At least 20 different types of 12g shells.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Grand Prairie CT also has a Lot of firearms, there pro shop section is quite large as well. I was there over the weekend, lots of ammo but not like what they usually have. Peace River CT also has a ton of ammo but not a huge selection of firearms. There are a couple of shops like Bartons and Primetime that carry quite a bit of ammunition as well. The shortages are in pockets of Alberta, not throughout the entire province lol. Of course where I am… shortage….go figure. But I have no problem driving 3-5 hours for a long weekend getaway and pick up any ammunition I may need.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts