Nova Scotia Hunting Forum banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
16,432 Posts
Grand Prairie CT also has a Lot of firearms, there pro shop section is quite large as well. I was there over the weekend, lots of ammo but not like what they usually have. Peace River CT also has a ton of ammo but not a huge selection of firearms. There are a couple of shops like Bartons and Primetime that carry quite a bit of ammunition as well. The shortages are in pockets of Alberta, not throughout the entire province lol. Of course where I am… shortage….go figure. But I have no problem driving 3-5 hours for a long weekend getaway and pick up any ammunition I may need.
You mentioned the key. The 117 ) or was) canadian tire pro shops / speciality stores sure do have buying power but not canadian tire corporate any more with guns are ammo after that 2018 memo since they are out selling firearms and ammo. The one caperaway mentioned is one of the top three in canada speciality shops for volume so one can understand why their counter guy can get ammo on a regular basis but the poor guy in sydney right now sure can't regardless what some think
I spoke to my bud also last night and like you he will have to drive 4 hours to fort mac to stock up

At one time you could see a list of these pro shops but doesn't seem to be there now
Wonder if these all happened in NS in 2014 as planned
Not my words

In Sept. there are a few local Canadian Tire locations that will be adding a new Pro Shop section in their stores which will be dedicated to hunting and fishing. These new CT Pro Shops will have a much larger selection of products compared to what is available now. I will be making in store appearances representing Lunkerhunt Premium Fishing Products at the following locations in Sept., Bridgewater, Clayton Park, Bedford and Dartmouth Crossing. Be sure to stop by and introduce yourself and ask any questions you may have for me concerning Lunkerhunt products or just fishing in general.

Take care

·
Registered
451 Posts
I remember something about the Pro Shops coming to CT, but can’t remember exactly what when it all came about. I know I was happy about it lol. I wish those that have a pro shop would have it linked to their CT page to see the various firearms they carry. No, can’t do that…instead you have to call them all or visit them lol.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
I remember something about the Pro Shops coming to CT, but can’t remember exactly what when it all came about. I know I was happy about it lol. I wish those that have a pro shop would have it linked to their CT page to see the various firearms they carry. No, can’t do that…instead you have to call them all or visit them lol.
Dartmouth crossing was a pro shop, pretty much dead now, maybe 5 guns left in the display case.

·
Registered
16,432 Posts
My guess around early 2011 these changes all started when they canadian tire got the new CEO Bachand in 2009
Cheers

·
Registered
875 Posts
The changes started when Harper got rid of the long gun registry. Once non restricted were no longer required to be registered Can Tire got back into guns. Once Trudeau put in the PAL validation requirements they started to go away from guns again. Simply too much work for too little reward for most stores having to train staff and keep records.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
I smile every time people still say that. The cost got rid of the long gun reqistry and harper took the credit for it. harper was no friend to gun owners
Cheers
Say what you will about costs but getting rid of the long registry was huge. It has made confiscation of any non-restricted almost impossible. In the IBM report stemming from the OIC basically states this. The gov't has also put the numbers of the non-restricted of the 1500 banned models at an almost laughable low number simply for optics reasons.

·
Registered
16,432 Posts
Say what you will about costs but getting rid of the long registry was huge. It has made confiscation of any non-restricted almost impossible. In the IBM report stemming from the OIC basically states this. The gov't has also put the numbers of the non-restricted of the 1500 banned models at an almost laughable low number simply for optics reasons.
Not me saying it just me agreeing with it and sharing what the experts have said
Harper did NOTHING for us but break election promises and did they share this NOPE

By deciding to cancel the contract, the government was on the hook for $91 million, including $81 million already spent on the new computer program.

·
Registered
16,432 Posts
Post from Phil today who IMO has a good handle on what is taking place and we are far from seeing the end of shortages

Yes no doubt the war may impact some ammo and component availability in the future but currently the shortages have been as a result of initial panic buying of ammo and components in the USA as well as Canada and the resulting hoarding by those who would not normally stockpile...sort of like toilet paper. Since the US manufacturers are still in a catch up mode from the start of covid uncertainties, lots of materials and metals have been in short supply. Phil.
P&D Enterprises (Retail dealer in Arms, Ammo and Accessories)

·
Registered
16,432 Posts
Yep Alberta is full of ammo maybe in very small pockets

Previously we had no limitation on size of ammo or components purchases however recently we had some misunderstandings with a few customers so we are trying to be fair. I personally am against limiting any volume purchases but I feel this is an unusual situation.
Centerfire-5 boxes per caliber
Rimfire 17hmr/22 mag- 1 brick
22 lr- 5 bricks
Handgun bulk -2000 rounds
Individual boxes -10 boxes per caliber
Shotgun ammo-2 cases
Powder -1 lb x2 (per part #)
Primers -1 brick (1000) per size
These limitations are per visit. So far most customers have been very understanding and in some cases they were from out of town and were able to get enough to solve their shortage. Remember that have had had good supplies in the past but that is changing fast. Phil.
P&D Enterprises (Retail dealer in Arms, Ammo and Accessories

·
Registered
618 Posts
The changes started when Harper got rid of the long gun registry. Once non restricted were no longer required to be registered Can Tire got back into guns. Once Trudeau put in the PAL validation requirements they started to go away from guns again. Simply too much work for too little reward for most stores having to train staff and keep records.
I agree with this. It was the most frustrating thing when someone would come in wanting to purchase a gun, and instead of just showing me their PAL, I'd have to log into a government system, input their PAL # and make sure it was valid. A lot of people ended up leaving the store empty handed and I honestly don't blame them. I understand the concern of selling a firearm to someone with a revoked PAL, however there must be a more efficient way IMO.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts