Nova Scotia Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
2,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Snow down from Truro north tonight, I hear its not going to let up in the Cape tomorrow, its easy to get caught in a bad squall be prepared if you are in the woods.

· Registered
5,078 Posts
Went to the cabin yesterday there was nothing. My family wants to hold a Xmas party there. Went down over the hill to look for a tree and minutes later it was a complete white out. Every tree was white, had to high tail it out of there. Man it came down for a short while. Think this winter is going to be a bad one. People will let deer pass only for a bad winter to wipe most out.

· Registered
2,823 Posts
Im sitting here blinded by the sun coming in the window, -4, debating with myself if i should take the hound for a solo bunny hunt with the inch of snow we got.
Brown bunny, white snow...put tires on car
Brown bunnies, white snow...put tires on car

Im thinking the tires can wait lol
First snow will be gone tomorrow

· Registered
3,895 Posts
4-6 inches down here in Sydney right now and still coming , just shoveled off the deck that I was suppose to work on today , Not so , that gets pushed another day . Laughed at the Mrs. this morning and said what school today ? ? When other days not a flake on the ground and school called off . Guess I'll be adding tire change over for her car to my list of things need done .

Stay safe in the woods guys and gals , with this snow , there are lots of trees still weak , bent over , hanging dead man and so on in the bush . We were out Saturday past and frig some spots would take a week with 3-4 guys and saws to clear out some older trails and roads that may never get re-opened .

· Registered
17,701 Posts
Well for once I am pretty much ready all studded tires on cars and truck, scrapers in vehicles and one snowblower ready with fresh gas
Just had to take the snow shovel to the step where it stays for the winter and pick up a pail of that pet friendly salt I use
Yep last years pail almost empty and paid 14.99 for it and paid 24.99 today for another of the same stuff
Like WTF this has to stop guess they will blame diesel now and not the war or covid
Yes Walter my mama was pissed also today that she had to go :)

· Registered
2,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Went to the cabin yesterday there was nothing. My family wants to hold a Xmas party there. Went down over the hill to look for a tree and minutes later it was a complete white out. Every tree was white, had to high tail it out of there. Man it came down for a short while. Think this winter is going to be a bad one. People will let deer pass only for a bad winter to wipe most out.
In my younger years hunting late in the season a white out got me turned around in unfamiliar hunting grounds after tracking a wounded deer, white outs can be dangerous.

· Registered
7,526 Posts
In my younger years hunting late in the season a white out got me turned around in unfamiliar hunting grounds after tracking a wounded deer, white outs can be dangerous.
Yes gotta know where your at when it snows,everything starts to look the same, even the deer turn white! But I’ve always enjoyed being in the woods when it’s snowing.

· Registered
17,701 Posts
Our worst experience was smelting of all things
Could not see the hand in front of your face so headed for shore or what we thought was shore and came within feet of walking into open water were 180 degrees walking in the wrong direction :(

Yep a bit of snow here again last night . Have to go reset the trap line again
Yep my 6 rat traps and 20 mouse traps :p:p even set some 110's last year for some hard to get ones and that did it
So far 4 rats and six mice but more out there
Fers try to get into the house and garage this time of year so I have to run the line
Last year finished at 8 rats and 24 mice but also had the weasels here which I have not seen since the summer

· GREYBEARD
3,310 Posts
4-6 inches down here in Sydney right now and still coming , just shoveled off the deck that I was suppose to work on today , Not so , that gets pushed another day . Laughed at the Mrs. this morning and said what school today ? ? When other days not a flake on the ground and school called off . Guess I'll be adding tire change over for her car to my list of things need done .

Stay safe in the woods guys and gals , with this snow , there are lots of trees still weak , bent over , hanging dead man and so on in the bush . We were out Saturday past and frig some spots would take a week with 3-4 guys and saws to clear out some older trails and roads that may never get re-opened .
I have saw an area of woods that I used to hunt just like you described, I was out a week ago to see what that trail was like and could not see it, trees laid over every where, all piled on top of each other from Fiona.

· Registered
17,701 Posts
Our worst experience was smelting of all things
Could not see the hand in front of your face so headed for shore or what we thought was shore and came within feet of walking into open water were 180 degrees walking in the wrong direction :(

Yep a bit of snow here again last night . Have to go reset the trap line again
Yep my 6 rat traps and 20 mouse traps :p:p even set some 110's last year for some hard to get ones and that did it
So far 4 rats and six mice but more out there
Fers try to get into the house and garage this time of year so I have to run the line
Last year finished at 8 rats and 24 mice but also had the weasels here which I have not seen since the summer
Too funny
This morning had what I thought were dog tracks on the back deck impossible to tell with the melting snow and up the walk in the front of the house
Dogs went crazy when they went out so assumed that was it
Out on the trap resetting mission :) and neighbor comes running over look what came by us last night on my trail cam a bobcat
Sure enough check our cameras and there he is. Looks like he took the two mice I caught and tossed in front by the tracks where he went
Cannot wait to tell the girls that :p:p
There has been two on the street all year male was hit and killed this must be the female
All I know not a rabbit to be found this year in the garden and yard but seeing lots of grouse

Cheers

· Registered
1,126 Posts
I bought a Garmin handheld GPS a few years ago. Best investment ever. Eliminates that fear of getting lost. You can roam freely through the woods and always find your way out.
I have a Garmin as well and it has served me very well over the years. But there was one occasion when Allain and I were scouting an area in the backwoods of Digby County where my compass had to take over. The light snow that we were experiencing soon turned to a very heavy wet snow. The readings on the Garmin became very sporadic and unreliable. I AM 'NEVER' WITHOUT MY COMPASS.

· Registered
3,437 Posts
I have always carried two compasses with me for years. They are still in my pack. I will never go in the woods without a compass. The GPS works great and I always carry spare batteries. If all that fails, take a stick, put some fir gum on one end and drop it in the water. It will point to magnetic north

· Administrator
10,807 Posts
Me either Dave ! . In the woods ANNND in my fishing boat.. all them years ! Electronics can black out, fuse panel boxes can too. Always had an 8" marine box compass...been in my family for 75+ yrs. Used it on more than one occasion to get me to safe harbour.

· Registered
1,126 Posts
Welcome to the site WhitePineJunkie.

Same for the French Shore as far as snow fall goes. Just a few light dustings up to now but it's staying quite cold. Great for spending time in the woods.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts