Nova Scotia Hunting Forum banner
41 - 60 of 100 Posts

·
Registered
13,663 Posts
All critters are captured under fair chase conditions Joe.

They can frig off (and usually do) whenever they like.
Just playing with you Rob :) You are so fortunate to have places that hold these ducks so close for you

Take care

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
Just playing with you Rob :) You are so fortunate to have places that hold these ducks so close for you
Take care
I'm aware Joe! LOL! If you and your lovely wife ever come down this way, I can give you the guided tour.

·
Registered
13,663 Posts
I'm aware Joe! LOL! If you and your lovely wife ever come down this way, I can give you the guided tour.
Thanks for the offer. Long time since I spent anytime in Brookfield. Last time there came home with a 68 impala 427
smile.png
a friend at the time I went to university with Randy McLean found for me. He was a 70 Boss mustang nut and his father drove stock car " Baker" ?? there real serious in those days. That was not yesterday
smile.png

The mrs wanted me to ask you. What is the rarest duck you have ever captured a pic of

Cheers

·
Registered
6,341 Posts
More awesome pics thanks rob!

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Thanks for the offer. Long time since I spent anytime in Brookfield. Last time there came home with a 68 impala 427
smile.png
a friend at the time I went to university with Randy McLean found for me. He was a 70 Boss mustang nut and his father drove stock car " Baker" ?? there real serious in those days. That was not yesterday
smile.png

The mrs wanted me to ask you. What is the rarest duck you have ever captured a pic of

Cheers
Well, some of the rarer ones include:

Redhead
Barrow's goldeneye
Tufted duck
Eurasian wigeon
Northern shoveler

Of those, I've only ever seen and photographed one redhead.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Not exactly nature photography but here are a few trout patterns I've been busy tying up in anticipation of the annual mayfly hatch. These are just iPhone shots.

#12 Blue Upright...

50966540427_1f0ffc59e0_k.jpgBlue Upright by Rob DeBay, on Flickr

#12 Quill Gordon...

50966539867_11e85d596c_k.jpgQuill Gordon by Rob DeBay, on Flickr

#12 Quill Gordon variant (grizzly dyed coachman brown)...

50965724858_d3025c12c1_k.jpgQuill Gordon Variant by Rob DeBay, on Flickr

·
Administrator
9,928 Posts
NICE stuff monsieur Debay
wub.png
Blue upright was always my favorite dry fly
smile.png
That and the mayfly nymph
wink.png
wink.png

·
Registered
810 Posts
Nice job with the flies. The last fly with the ginger hackle would be my first choice. I always tie up at least a half dozen ginger hackle dry flies for the specs.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
nice stuff, Rob.

I know zilch about tying flies - wood duck feathers in there?
The wings of the flies are made of wood duck flank feathers. That's why I always try to bag a few in October, plus they're damn tasty! I can make about 30 sets of dry fly wings out of one mature drake. There, I guess it IS nature photography!

·
Registered
13,663 Posts
Believe this or not I took it " Fly tying " in grade 10 as a night course the PE instructor was putting on. Those were the days when useful stuff was being offered
smile.png
and I tied the odd one over the years
cool.png
still got all my gear also BIG Shock there
wacko.png
and hope to do it again soon but will never be as good as you are Rob at it

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
Being a kid who grew up on the banks of the St Marys river . I learned at about age 12 but tied mostly salmon flies . I will say those are some pretty handsome fly's . I haven't tyed in a decade .still have all the gear but not the eye sight any more lol . sold a good many flys on the river bank for 6 quarters lol .

·
Registered
3,182 Posts
Awesome photos once again ! My daughter last few yrs has started a album of abandoned homes, summer times last yr put more than 40,000 on her car in 3 months traveling the island with over 1200 homes taken , between work and that she barely wS home

·
Registered
810 Posts
Being a kid who grew up on the banks of the St Marys river . I learned at about age 12 but tied mostly salmon flies . I will say those are some pretty handsome fly's . I haven't tyed in a decade .still have all the gear but not the eye sight any more lol . sold a good many flys on the river bank for 6 quarters lol .
Interesting, Some of my best memories are fishing trout on the East river St. Mary's with my Grandfather.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
Exposed grass! GO!!

I FINALLY managed to capture a deer in the air with all four hooves off the ground. I love this shot for its simplicity - the simple blue sky background, snow-covered field and two deer quickly making their way to easy eats tell an obvious story. Shot at about 200 yards in fading evening light. Brookfield, March 21st...

51079459152_ee5739693c_k.jpgDeer Flight by Rob DeBay, on Flickr

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
I’ve never seen them in better shape Joe. It was a great winter for them.

·
GREYBEARD
2,875 Posts
Great picture and nice flies you did as well.

The deer I have seen seem to be in great shape.

41 - 60 of 100 Posts