Nova Scotia Hunting Forum banner
121 - 132 of 132 Posts

·
Administrator
10,477 Posts
Awesome pic Rob.. th reds and oranges make that eagle glow !! We were down around the trail last weekend too. Optimum colors were everywhere. Lots of beautiful vibrant leaves left this past weekend. Way more than last year !!!
Causeway cove Northern side was solid full of mackeral. !!!
We stopped there for 20 minutes and watched no less than 7 eagles touch and go over and over...couple were successful...hundreds of gulls and a small contingent of 3-400 Mackeral Gannetts doing the aerial circle dive assault on them. Saw Harbour porpoises there on the way down...its like it has it own eco system there. Few big lenses there..we were I-phoning it...lol

·
GREYBEARD
3,056 Posts
Very nice picture Rob!

·
Registered
15,670 Posts
Awesome pic Rob.. th reds and oranges make that eagle glow !! We were down around the trail last weekend too. Optimum colors were everywhere. Lots of beautiful vibrant leaves left this past weekend. Way more than last year !!!
Causeway cove Northern side was solid full of mackeral. !!!
We stopped there for 20 minutes and watched no less than 7 eagles touch and go over and over...couple were successful...hundreds of gulls and a small contingent of 3-400 Mackeral Gannetts doing the aerial circle dive assault on them. Saw Harbour porpoises there on the way down...its like it has it own eco system there. Few big lenses there..we were I-phoning it...lol
LOL have to tell my old coffee bud where they are. He has been going daily for a week now and might have 5 :(

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #126 · (Edited)
That loon is a red-throated loon (immature I believe) and it's at Kiwanis Pond right in Truro. It's quite rare to see one in freshwater. They can normally be seen along our coast in winter but you can never get close enough for a decent shot. At times, I was within 10 feet of this one...

Red-throated Loon 1 by Rob DeBay, on Flickr

Red-throated Loon 2 by Rob DeBay, on Flickr

Red-throated Loon 3 by Rob DeBay, on Flickr

Red-throated Loon 4 by Rob DeBay, on Flickr

Red-throated Loon 5 by Rob DeBay, on Flickr

Red-throated Loon 6 by Rob DeBay, on Flickr

·
Registered
15,670 Posts
That is the baby she was showing me. Unreal Rob thanks for posting Joe and like you say the mrs was saying also how rare

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #128 ·
A first for these eyes! a very rare drake mandarin duck has been hanging out with the usual mallards and black ducks at Albro Lake in Dartmouth! A study in beauty and colour, these little ducks are closely related to wood ducks - you can see some of the similarities. This guy is a loooooong way from home. Met up with him yesterday in awesome morning light and took most of the shots laying on my stomach to be at eye level. P!$$ed that he didn't make the calendar in time but you KNOW he'll be making an appearance in the 2023 version...

Mandarin 1 by Rob DeBay, on Flickr

Mandarin 2 by Rob DeBay, on Flickr

Mandarin 3 by Rob DeBay, on Flickr

Mandarin 6 by Rob DeBay, on Flickr

Mandarin 7 by Rob DeBay, on Flickr

·
Registered
15,670 Posts
Too funny The mrs says the weekend funny Rob is hot chasing down that duck everyone is talking about in dartmouth
And you were:)
Great pics
take care

·
Administrator
10,477 Posts
😲😲😲

·
Registered
6,696 Posts
Totally awesome rob!

·