Nova Scotia Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

· Registered
1,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
It’s rather time consuming and expensive but I’ve built up quite an inventory of materials over 4 decades of tying. It’s a fun hobby and very rewarding when you flick one out there and fool a trout!

· Registered
1,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 · (Edited)
Thanks guys! These guys are closely related to our wood ducks. They are the only other member of the genus Aix that I’m aware of. You can see some of the similarities in the plumage of the drakes. The females are almost identical.

· Registered
1,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
Amazing news today!! Just received word that my submission for the Outdoor Canada magazine photo contest took FIRST place in the hunting category!!
I took this last October after a successful wood duck hunt in one of my favourite spots. All of the ingredients were there for a beautiful shot of my faithful hunting partner Tori. I had perfect light, vibrant fall colours, a blue sky, a mature drake wood duck and a proud dog - just look at those eyes! I’m posting this from my phone so I hope it displays in full resolution. Tori will be published in the July/August issue of Outdoor Canada!
Dog Plant Dog breed Carnivore Working animal

· Registered
1,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #67 ·
Very happy to announce that two of my waterfowl images made the cut and will be featured in the 2023 Ducks Unlimited Conservation Calendar!! My mandarin duck from earlier this year made the cover and one of my harlequin images will be the March picture! Pumped!!

· Registered
1,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #78 ·
I witnessed something comical yesterday in the backyard here in Brookfield. For almost an hour, these male pileated woodpeckers were playing peekaboo at the base of this tree. Every so often, they'd get too close to one another and they'd beat each other with their wings. It was quite the scene! It likely had something to do with the lone female who was present about 30' up in the canopy...

Male Pileated Woodpeckers by Rob DeBay, on Flickr

1 - 20 of 40 Posts