Nova Scotia Hunting Forum banner

Take'em's 2023 Nature Photography

10K views 166 replies 19 participants last post by  louisbear 
#1 ·
Here's one for superslickie!

I took this with my new Canon R7 mirrorless in poor light after sunset. I was pushing the ISO at 6400 but ended up getting the shot with some decent clarity and detail. Loving the new camera body! Excuse the blurred alders in the foreground - some things can't be avoided lol!

Hungry Bunny by Rob DeBay, on Flickr

See less See more
#3 ·

I took this with my new Canon R7 mirrorless in poor light after sunset. I was pushing the ISO at 6400 but ended up getting the shot with some decent clarity and detail. Loving the new camera body! Excuse the blurred alders in the foreground - some things can't be avoided lol!

Taking a huge risk posting that here then again pretty safe if tim after it:p

#5 ·

Was your avi a pic taken by you? Love wood ducks. Have some around here every spring. Last spring had them trying to take over a pilated woodpecker home in a pine tree lol. They make the strangest wheezing sounds

#9 ·
Every shoot is different of course but generally I’m within 30 yards of my subjects. I’ll start snapping away at greater distances (generally not happy with the images) and slowly close the gap with careful stalking. Ideally, my subject will fill the frame but that doesn’t happen most of the time.

#13 · (Edited)
It is unreal stop posting these on your site or where she sees them or the mrs will be costing me money again ;) But I will be honest I thought they would be insane priced and not bad at all compared to when I bought her the 5D but I bought the new 400 2 or what ever was called also at the same time so and nice to hear there is an adapter so the old L series can be still used Some say the adapter effects the quality well I sure cannot see that problem in your pics Nice work

#17 ·
A couple of close-ups of some other yard birds. The first is a white-breasted huthatch. These are almost impossible to photograph as they never sit still for more than a fraction of a second. You have to frame the shot, acquire focus and release the shutter (all perfectly) in that miniscule amount of time. The second is a downy woodpecker. These are very tight crops and I'm amazed with the focus accuracy and amount of detail in each shot! The move to the new mirrorless R7 provided a bump in megapixels from 20MP to 32.5MP plus additional image stabilization...

White-breasted Nuthatch Close-up by Rob DeBay, on Flickr

Downy Woodpecker Close-up by Rob DeBay, on Flickr

#32 ·
My DIL just bought a Canon R6. (An upgrade ???from her 5D )(I thought the 5D’s were the best ??) She does family and boudior shoots. She is not so much in to nature photography. That camera is a whole lot of camera. I used to take wedding pics … so I know my way around a camera, but those mirrorless cameras are beyond exceptional.