Nova Scotia Hunting Forum banner
61 - 80 of 167 Posts
Finally, finally, FINALLY! I've been after this shot for years!

Love is in the air and the ruffies are getting all revved up! Here's a male in full courtship display - his love interest was watching from above in a maple...

Courtship Display Ruffed Grouse 1 by Rob DeBay, on Flickr
Wowwwww , what a Capture of full courtrship plumage , that is Calender Worthy !

Discussion starter · #72 ·
I was troutin’ the other day and while portaging with a canoe on my head, something caught my eye just as I was about to step over a fallen tree. What I saw (somehow) was the eye of a nesting grouse blinking! I backed off and took a quick iPhone pic just before she did the broken wing thing. I took another quick shot of the nest and quickly retreated. I watched her come back to the nest from a distance and all was well. Some of the things you come across in the woods are amazing!

I was troutin’ the other day and while portaging with a canoe on my head, something caught my eye just as I was about to step over a fallen tree. What I saw (somehow) was the eye of a nesting grouse blinking! I backed off and took a quick iPhone pic just before she did the broken wing thing. I took another quick shot of the nest and quickly retreated. I watched her come back to the nest from a distance and all was well. Some of the things you come across in the woods are amazing! View attachment 100913 View attachment 100914
Very neat! Great pictures!

I've always wondered if it would be possible to pen raise them and then release the broods when the young are a few weeks old. Might get a better survival rate that way but I'm sure there are some problems or it would be done.

I've always wondered if it would be possible to pen raise them and then release the broods when the young are a few weeks old. Might get a better survival rate that way but I'm sure there are some problems or it would be done.
Have no idea what the rules are now but know I had to get a permit to raise bob whites and pheasants and they would not give one for grouse but that was like 2001 Both of those do terrible here in the wild even with a winter food source put out Bob white could not make it through a winter and pheasants maybe a few years but we didnot have the type of land either here to support any that got out like the vally would

61 - 80 of 167 Posts