Nova Scotia Hunting Forum banner
81 - 100 of 167 Posts
Have no idea what the rules are now but know I had to get a permit to raise bob whites and pheasants and they would not give one for grouse but that was like 2001 Both of those do terrible here in the wild even with a winter food source put out Bob white could not make it through a winter and pheasants maybe a few years but we didnot have the type of land either here to support any that got out like the vally would
I think the permit difference is that grouse are a native species while quail and pheasants are not. I doubt that has changed.
On one hand I get why native wildlife species are so tightly controlled but I think there could be some changes made to actually help some species.

I was troutin’ the other day and while portaging with a canoe on my head, something caught my eye just as I was about to step over a fallen tree. What I saw (somehow) was the eye of a nesting grouse blinking! I backed off and took a quick iPhone pic just before she did the broken wing thing. I took another quick shot of the nest and quickly retreated. I watched her come back to the nest from a distance and all was well. Some of the things you come across in the woods are amazing! View attachment 100913 View attachment 100914
nice find!

Awesome photos Rob . In the second photo would that be a young buck as you can see two dark possible pedistel above the eyes and in front of the ears .

Reactions: take'em
always nice to see the younguns & though not realistic, always hope they all make it through the Summer to help build the herd.

that 2nd pic, Rob - its a goodie. you captured several things in that pic that represent a newborn fawn (least thats what I see) - wobbly legs, staying close to mom, awareness of surroundings, the habitat the doe takes them to, matching frayed tails of mom & youngun and of course those big brown eyes.

81 - 100 of 167 Posts