Nova Scotia Hunting Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just throwing this out there for any input. I am baffled and not sure what is going on. I have a Mathews Drenalin LD that I absolutely love and shoot like no other bow I have. This bow is a dream to shoot and so stable. I have recently changed strings on this bow and can not get the full weight out it that I had before I changed strings and cables. I have the exact brace height to spec as well as my axle to axle are to spec but the bow normally maxed out at 71 lbs and the most I can get from it now is 64 lbs; which is plenty but I am totally blown away by this and cannot figure it out.

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
How do the new cable and string compare in length to the old cable and string . if either are shorter or longer it will effect draw weight but should also effect draw length . the string should be 99 3/4 " and the cable 39 1/2 " .

·
Registered
4,200 Posts
im not a techy guy but it must be something in the new cables/strings i would think. not that that info really helps.....

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Here comes a silly question... you did screw in the limb bolts to set the poundage,,correct..

It seems so from your post. But thought id check :)

Check the specs again,

1) Brace Height

2) Axel to Axel

3) Timing

If all seems good, then try adding a few twists to your cable and check again

·
Registered
117 Posts
Like the other guy's said it could be several thing's but being out 6 lbs the bow has to visibly out of whack somewheres there is really no way it can't, anyhow i have a drenalin ld here that i just made a custom set of string's for and installed, I've done several of these anyhow ,from making custom strings i know that mathews string sizes don't always run right. if you had someone else do the work i'd take it back i would not consider that to close to acceptable. one other thing to remember factor specs really is a starting point they could be + or - depending on limb deflections etc etc. many variables, but 6lb is to much. know 2 bows generally tune the same.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Had the same issues with my Mathews bow (never checked the poundage but it shot weird after I had custom strings put on it. Matthews bows don't like the custom strings much unless your bow guy does a lot of fiddling. You can't go by the length written on the bow. I had 2 custom strings put on and taken off before I just bought a Zebra string and that fixed it. I would have a new set of eyes look at it at another shop. Never hurts to have a second opinion.

·
Registered
117 Posts
To say mathews bows don't like custom strings is just not true,in fact mathews strings have not been that great over the years and have been surpassed easily by any good string maker.the same goes for pretty much all factory strings, my question is what material were the strings made of 8190,452x trophy 8125 etc etc. what type of serving was used as well. different material feels different some stretches more the others making the bow feel softer or harder, if the string has some give to it on the shoot it will feel softer than a material that doesn't have as much give to it.it could have been the strings or both strings and installed , but its not the case that mathews bows just don't like custom strings

in the case with the bow above there is several issues one the strings most likely are not right 2 the installer had no clue on what they were doing or they didn't want to make/get new string to make things right.it could be cam oriention is completely out of whack. I don't know the owner of the bow who's strings they are or who worked on it, my apologies if i a fended anyone not my intention.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
If its not right, then something must be out of wack...

check everything,

Re Check and re tune as necessary....

·
Registered
977 Posts
Quack Addict,there could be several things going on with your bow

1 -string and cable are the wrong lengths

2-string and cable may not have the correct number of strands of bowstring material

3-the serving material may be smaller diameter than what Mathews uses from the factory

4-your string and cable are installed wrong.

With the bow in your hand as if you were going to shoot it,look at the string and cables.The string should come off the idler wheel and go in the right side roller on your rollerguard.The cable should go through the left wheel in the rollerguard,if they aren't right you won't get the draw weight up.

On the drenelin it is best to get your brace height and cam timing as close to specs as possible,and let the axle to axle measurement fall where it may.As long as the brace height and cam timing are correct.your bow will work great.

If the strings are correct and all else is close,go ahead and add a few twists to the cable ,that will up your poundage and not effect timing or brace signifigantly.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.