Nova Scotia Hunting Forum banner

The Catch All

22K views 795 replies 25 participants last post by  3macs1 
#1 · (Edited)
Moved to this new catch all since wally will have another stroke if I answer you on HIS trend and he sure cannot afford another I am sure and regardlless what he thinks of me I do care about him and don't wish him any harm or upset

Your post
AMEN to that!Whiiioooppps am i allowed to say that on here???Good grief🙄
Happy to hear the robins have showed up for you buddy and spring has sprung it a nice mild day on mainland.Soon time to set that trap you bought got another squirrel this am in mine.Thats 5 i believe since january.Guess they lucky i have no interest in eating them.Otherwise tonites clam chowder may have been squirrel stew😃Hope u got through all the smelts

Dog Carnivore Dog breed Snout Sporting Group

Robins are eating sliced apples today and happy. Will put the trap out soon did get the huge guy a few weeks ago in a 110 and have of course seen two more rats since and have 5 regular traps out since about 2 weeks now and nothing even with my sardine juice bate which normally works have taken out I think all of the poor squirrels however first when they had just peanut butter for a total of six :(
Cheers

See less See more
#2 ·
Have three more in the yard as we speak not the same as the ones I seen earlier Walking right across the road like they own it and right down the driveway
Also had a huge coyote sit and watch me unload soil today for about 30 minutes and onlt 40 yards away max man he was dark and big :(

#3 ·
Have three more in the yard as we speak not the same as the ones I seen earlier Walking right across the road like they own it and right down the driveway
Also had a huge coyote sit and watch me unload soil today for about 30 minutes and onlt 40 yards away max man he was dark and big :(

Coyote was probably saying look at that old guy with the bum foot, can't even run, this should be easy 😀

#6 ·
Deer in my yard most days usually five of them. This yr they jumped the fencing and ate every leaf off my Rhodo’s they could reach. Don’t understand it, I have to fence in and cover my rhododendrons or they eat them but yet they don’t bother the rhododendrons in the neighbouring yards!!!

#9 ·
Moved to this new catch all since wally will have another stroke if I answer you on HIS trend and he sure cannot afford another I am sure and regardlless what he thinks of me I do care about him and don't wish him any harm or upset

Your post
AMEN to that!Whiiioooppps am i allowed to say that on here???Good grief🙄
Happy to hear the robins have showed up for you buddy and spring has sprung it a nice mild day on mainland.Soon time to set that trap you bought got another squirrel this am in mine.Thats 5 i believe since january.Guess they lucky i have no interest in eating them.Otherwise tonites clam chowder may have been squirrel stew😃Hope u got through all the smelts

View attachment 100520

Robins are eating sliced apples today and happy. Will put the trap out soon did get the huge guy a few weeks ago in a 110 and have of course seen two more rats since and have 5 regular traps out since about 2 weeks now and nothing even with my sardine juice bate which normally works have taken out I think all of the poor squirrels however first when they had just peanut butter for a total of six :(
Cheers
Bet they like the apple treats sure love listening to them sing this time of year.Remember winter of 2015 when droves of birds and animals died didnt think id see them back in numbers but when i look out and see dozens on my lawn its some nice to see.

#11 ·
It was one of the boys here that told me to put the apples out a few years ago to help when the ground was still frozen solid and snow down and yep they love it Once it warms up a bit they stop eating them. I had at least a dozen here yesterday

#15 · (Edited)
You must be young :)
We were grandfathered in since we had been hunting and buying licences I think it was pre 1977 ???. Proof of licence was all that was required
That being said two of my hunting buds were instructors so I attended many a course helping them We actually had orange hats done up with those crests and handed them out here also in the early days
Cheers

#20 ·
I assumed you guys were grandfathered because you were not from NS originally ??? Also ... did NS change something at some point, that required everyone to have to take a hunter safety course in order to get a license ??? The reason I ask ... my FIL took the course with me and he hunted all of his life. Maybe he just wanted to ?? I recall lots of "older than me" people taking that course.

#21 ·
Nope not for me Been in Nova scotia since age 2. When the cards first came out I know 100% I was grandfathered in since I have never officially taken a hunting course in NS as were my young buds and all the guys around us in camp All we had to do was show that we had purchased a hunting licence I think prior to 1977 but that year maybe wrong. There was also a time cut off so if you didnot apply after a date you had to take a course and yes everyone had to then

#23 ·
My 89 year old mom has a wildlife card and she sure never took a course but sure did have deer licences back in the day it was a requirement for everyone that lived in the house and was able to get one
I would say they missed the date .Kind of strange no one else here was grandfathered in maybe louis bear is or DD

#25 ·
Well I can tell you one thing they sure didnot give it to me because I was special or for my good looks :D:DJust checked by card and under hunter it had the Q for qualified where the other things like guide bow etc have nothing by the code My card is old but has not been updated in years or required to be

#34 ·
It wasn't a provincial requirement that i take the course, it was a mother required course. She wasn't having any guns in the house until i took all the courses required or not. I got my brown fac by attending 3 Wednesday night sessions at the main st community college, then a Saturday hands on test.
The old orange card for hunter safety was out at the club by rainbow haven, 2 nights and a Saturday to shoot.
Wearing hunter orange wasn't mandatory but was soon to be as they were discussing the matter, didn't matter to my mother as i had to have and wear it.

#42 ·
what I found on my old cards;
oldest card I can find (white card with orange letters) is 1978. Your number was your drivers license number with a Q after it.
when training came out they still used your drivers license number but put a T at the end.
I took the training cause I wanted to see what it was all about - card says 1980.

took the bow training and they changed the Q to a Z, lol.

here's some of the badges I kept -

Outerwear Sleeve Orange T-shirt Collar

Brown Orange Textile Sleeve Red

#46 · (Edited)
Well I heard it all today and could not even believe that anyone here in the cape would do such a thing What a snake
Mrs friend calls this morning upset Her boy who is 11 is a fishing nut since he was 8 and for every event xmas birthdays etc etc he got some form of fishing gear that is all he ever wants. Every weekend she has to take him to some place to fish so yesterday was no exception
He was fishing by the side of the road and she seen a car pull in just down from him watching him fish no big deal even spoke to him Guy leaves and about 1 hour later her boy comes back to the car for a sandwich and next thing they know the car comes back a dude about 40 jumps out grabs the kids tackle box and rod and speeds away
The poor kid is besides himself and god love her single mom with three kids and understandable she says cannot replace it right now
Mrs looks at me and says Joey yes that is what she calls me when she likes me which is rare :D you have a ton of extra stuff I know that and have never asked you for anything like this before I said dear you don't have to ask you just tell her by the end of the day her son will be able to fish again and I will make sure he has a ton of stuff and a new rod and new reel better than he had
Like wtf is wrong with people today for a man to steal fishing gear from a kid

#47 ·
Firstly. That forty year old is not a MAN, he is a Bully and a thief. Secondly, he needs to be reported to the police with a description of himself and his vehicle and time and place.

Thirdly, thank you for stepping up and donating some of your gear, and a new rod and reel. Now that’s what a real MAN is all about!

#49 · (Edited)
She did that but no licence plate just a guy about 40 ball hat and a black beard and an old gray toyota :( Just dropped the stuff off . he was not home but his mama was trilled
Gave him a 40 year old NEW garcia conolon same as this rod and a gift certificate at crappy tire to buy new line since all mine is old
and a new 40 year old garcia mitchell 218 reel and quite a tackle box :) as good as mine :) Theses are the rods and reels I liked before I got the shamino bug

#48 ·
Good on you! Ive done the same over the years, heck this year the guys i know have almost completely geared up Riley for this falls hunting season. New molly pack, knives, orange, fishing gear, boots, and im sure more to come from the guys " clearing out some old stuff" , the old stuff he has is almost better than my gear.
I was trout fishing one day when a man and his son joined me, started chatting with them about fishing and where to fish when the son sets down his rod only to see it flip over the side of the dock. Had him hold my rod while i went for a spare, my spare was home and i didnt go back. Weeks later i run into them again and the son gave me back my rod even though i told him to keep it as i had lots.

#50 · (Edited)
On the tackle box back in the early 80's there was a fishing outfitter at the fea market selling off his stock and for two weeks I went in and spent what I could afford since it was like 20 cents on the dollar
The third week I went in and he says man I am tired of this why don;t you just buy it all and I will be finished with this foolsish fea market
He quoted a price and over 4/6 weeks I bought it all Sold off most of the high end stuff like hardy reels and loomis and fenwick rods on e-bay and made my money back and then some
There was two full totes of spinning gear plus new rods and reels I didnot sell many of which I gave to kids over the years
When the wife said give him some gear rods and reels were easy since I knew where they were Totes with spinning gear could be one of 80 in the basement with everything from shoes to reloading gear etc in them and no way did I have the time to look
So I had a brain fart . After I bought this gear I did up two exact boxes for my self and one was my spare which I used maybe 4 times only because I grabbed the wrong box and knew right where those two were sitting
Thought why do I need two and if I need another the same stuff is still some where in a tote so I gave him my spare box and IMO loaded to the nuts and sorry Statik no dollar store gear here :D only Gamakatsu hooks I use :) BUT hey to each their own on that if it works
Cheers

#54 ·

I caught my share of specks and browns on this bad boy back in the day.

#59 ·
Kudos to joe!!! Wonderful act of kindness and that boy will remember you forever!
I think a lot of us would have helped the boy out but probably not quite as elaborately but we aren’t all hoarders.
Total low life that would watch and wait to steal anything let alone a kids fishing gear. Type I’d would like to get my hands on, see how well he swims with broken limbs!

#60 ·
Kudos to joe!!! Wonderful act of kindness and that boy will remember you forever!
I think a lot of us would have helped the boy out but probably not quite as elaborately but we aren’t all hoarders.
Total low life that would watch and wait to steal anything let alone a kids fishing gear. Type I’d would like to get my hands on, see how well he swims with broken limbs!
Agree 3D he should be charged yep hoarder of everything except women one of those is enough:D This stuff was just sitting and in the big picture cost me very little when I bought it so good to see it being used
Young guy called me last night to thank me he is over the moon excited and already had his buds up to check out his new gear and wants to catch me some fish cool I said just one feed
His mom said he took every single item out looking at it separating what he said was the real good stuff and the so so :p
Going to crappy tire today to get new line and a fanny pack to carry some of the gear when fishing Told his mom he will never have a tackle box again and only take a little gear with him now and it will be strapped to him
F"N idiot scared him for life taking is tackle box
Cheers