Nova Scotia Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Administrator
10,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a heads up...the gun dealer will be sponsoring the upcoming Beretta Shoot at Nova Sporting Clays in Gays River this coming Saturday.
If you were / are thinking on buying rifle ammo..powder..shotgun target or waterfowl ammo by the flats.. anything at all from Ross...give him a call and do it. He'll load it on his trailer and bring it down with him. Lots of folks do this and save the shipping and DG charges.
You can pick it up @ Nova on Saturday

·
Registered
4,238 Posts
Have not purchased any thing there now in several years. Found out his word means little once they got your cash.

·
Registered
14,256 Posts
Just a heads up...the gun dealer will be sponsoring the upcoming Beretta Shoot at Nova Sporting Clays in Gays River this coming Saturday.
If you were / are thinking on buying rifle ammo..powder..shotgun target or waterfowl ammo by the flats.. anything at all from Ross...give him a call and do it. He'll load it on his trailer and bring it down with him. Lots of folks do this and save the shipping and DG charges.
You can pick it up @ Nova on Saturday
It is wonderful to still have a few shops that support the sport and events like Ross does. Kudos to him and his business
He should be supported in any way we can to ensure his business stays successful in these difficult times
Take care

·
Registered
8 Posts
Kevin is spot on about Ross and the Gun Dealer coming to the shoot, I have been dealing with him for many
years and has always treated me good whether it be a gun and ammo purchase or trading in old firearm that
you don,t want. It also in my case saves a 5hr drive one way.

·
GREYBEARD
2,904 Posts
I have always had very positive experiences with Ross, anytime I either bought over the phone or in person in the store.

·
Registered
14,256 Posts
Ross and Clay at Prophet River are two of the best in Canada IMO from dealing with them both over the years
Both are top shelf
Cheers

·
Registered
141 Posts
From the perspective of the HWWA and myself we are fortunate to have the kind of support we get from Ross and company. The HWWA gives everyone who takes one of our CFSC courses a paper with the Gun Dealer name address phone and email address. A way of saying thanks.

·
Registered
635 Posts
I imagine this will get a stir in the pot, but I feel that there are gun shops in my own area or province that could use my business as well without going outside unless he has better prices or service, I deal alot with Kelvins in Chester Basin, Hnatiuks, Hunts in Truro and yes sometimes on line out in B.C., that been said I'll lay my money where the best price is been offered. I would like to go up to the Gun Dealers store just to check it out. It is a good offer though to bring all the goodies down with him to you, wish him nothing but the best

·
Registered
14,256 Posts
Yes Clayton Smilies word is his word.
And so is Ross's. I have said it before. You are the only one I have ever heard that has had issues with Ross and his outfit
I remember it was a scope ring issue I think ( but maybe wrong ) and you were dealing with a lady who never resolved it for you
It is not the norm for Ross not to make sure the customer is 100% happy. I would be shocked if he knew what was taking place
I bought a 28ga o/u and it came short a tube. One call and three days later a new tube that was missing along with 5 more arrived said that is Ok all I had was a set keep them no charge
Cheers

·
Registered
14,256 Posts
I imagine this will get a stir in the pot, but I feel that there are gun shops in my own area or province that could use my business as well without going outside unless he has better prices or service, I deal alot with Kelvins in Chester Basin, Hnatiuks, Hunts in Truro and yes sometimes on line out in B.C., that been said I'll lay my money where the best price is been offered. I would like to go up to the Gun Dealers store just to check it out. It is a good offer though to bring all the goodies down with him to you, wish him nothing but the best
If you do make sure your visa is maxed out or left home since it will be when you leave :)

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Personally … I find Kelvin very expensive. I can drive 5 hrs to the Gun Dealer to buy a rifle, and drive back home and still be cheaper than Kelvins. I know I should support local … but not when I’m being gouged.

·
Registered
14,256 Posts
Personally … I find Kelvin very expensive. I can drive 5 hrs to the Gun Dealer to buy a rifle, and drive back home and still be cheaper than Kelvins. I know I should support local … but not when I’m being gouged.
Yep. I only buy used cooeys there in the past. For some reason there is always some in stock
Cheers

·
Registered
4,238 Posts
And so is Ross's. I have said it before. You are the only one I have ever heard that has had issues with Ross and his outfit
I remember it was a scope ring issue I think ( but maybe wrong ) and you were dealing with a lady who never resolved it for you
It is not the norm for Ross not to make sure the customer is 100% happy. I would be shocked if he knew what was taking place
I bought a 28ga o/u and it came short a tube. One call and three days later a new tube that was missing along with 5 more arrived said that is Ok all I had was a set keep them no charge
Cheers
There were some very unhappy people on NBH, so I guess I was not the only one he forgot about. I guess I was considered just a small time guy. Since that time I purchased close to 20 firearms, scopes etc. They never to this day ever contacted me, it was all me contacting them. Realizing they had no intention of honoring the deal, I went on to buy the mounts from Lequilles, plus several firearms and scopes, from them, Woodswise Outfitters, Kelvins, CT, Reliable gun, Tillsonburg gun shop, Ellwood Epps, Dantes etc. I have dealt with a lot of them. Only other place that I never returned to was Bulls Eye London. That is another story all by its self. During this time I also bought a rifle listed on Prophet River one morning. It seemed to be a real good deal I thought, so I gave my VISA and waited for the bill by e-mail. When the e-mail came the bill was twice what was advertised. I called and spoke to Clayton. He said that they were extremely busy at the time I had phoned, and when he confirmed the price of $600 he thought it was some other purchase. He said I tell you what I am going to do, I will honor that price and will be sending the rifle to you with scope and sling. That was impressive. They are now the first on my list to purchase from. Get great service from the local shops down this way, especially Lequilles, Wood Wise Outfitters, CT. Its really to bad, I look at shops inventory daily, but the gun dealer I don't, and haven't since that time. Good luck to them.

·
Registered
14,256 Posts
There were some very unhappy people on NBH, so I guess I was not the only one he forgot about. I guess I was considered just a small time guy. Since that time I purchased close to 20 firearms, scopes etc. They never to this day ever contacted me, it was all me contacting them. Realizing they had no intention of honoring the deal, I went on to buy the mounts from Lequilles, plus several firearms and scopes, from them, Woodswise Outfitters, Kelvins, CT, Reliable gun, Tillsonburg gun shop, Ellwood Epps, Dantes etc. I have dealt with a lot of them. Only other place that I never returned to was Bulls Eye London. That is another story all by its self. During this time I also bought a rifle listed on Prophet River one morning. It seemed to be a real good deal I thought, so I gave my VISA and waited for the bill by e-mail. When the e-mail came the bill was twice what was advertised. I called and spoke to Clayton. He said that they were extremely busy at the time I had phoned, and when he confirmed the price of $600 he thought it was some other purchase. He said I tell you what I am going to do, I will honor that price and will be sending the rifle to you with scope and sling. That was impressive. They are now the first on my list to purchase from. Get great service from the local shops down this way, especially Lequilles, Wood Wise Outfitters, CT. Its really to bad, I look at shops inventory daily, but the gun dealer I don't, and haven't since that time. Good luck to them.
Yes and I would bet those complaints are at least 10/ 12 years old when there was a few issues with some employees not now
The store is always busy when I have been there and IMO that is for a reason
I ask But did you ever talk to Ross himself about this problem you had ?? Epps since the 60's was my spot since until Wes took it over. I have had many issues there since and stopped buying from them. The last 410 wingmaster could not even cycle and I had to fix and replace like 100 bucks worth of parts my dime . They said we get over 10,000 used guns in a year we don't have time to check to see if they all work :(

Cheers

·
Registered
635 Posts
Are Woodswise Outfitters still around?, sent off e-mails different times in the past and never got a response, they must of received them cause they never came back as undeliverable.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Woodwise is still there. Alex gets a lot of business from me. He is not too quick to respond to Emails for some reason.

·
Registered
4,238 Posts
Are Woodswise Outfitters still around?, sent off e-mails different times in the past and never got a response, they must of received them cause they never came back as undeliverable.
They were having a hell of a time trying to keep the shop open with covid and our little friend Trudeau. A few years ago they also expanded into engraving, but with no sporting events and no schools open that too was dead in the water. There website has had posts where they said they were closed at different times.

·
Registered
4,238 Posts
Yes and I would bet those complaints are at least 10/ 12 years old when there was a few issues with some employees not now
The store is always busy when I have been there and IMO that is for a reason
I ask But did you ever talk to Ross himself about this problem you had ?? Epps since the 60's was my spot since until Wes took it over. I have had many issues there since and stopped buying from them. The last 410 wingmaster could not even cycle and I had to fix and replace like 100 bucks worth of parts my dime . They said we get over 10,000 used guns in a year we don't have time to check to see if they all work :(

Cheers
I did not think you were still buying from shops?

·
Registered
5,329 Posts
Cheers
If I remember correctly , he boned rembolt pretty good on a shotgun trade in. I read the comments on NBH as well . I also read a lot on nuts when th gun dealer was briefly a business member. The reviews were definitely mixed.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts