Nova Scotia Hunting Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought that I would share a story about getting shafted many years ago. Back in the early 70`s I worked in a small shop in Yarmouth and there was an old fellow who came into our shop once a week and collected any bottles for the deposit. His name was Alfred and he lived alone and collected bottles for extra money. I did a lot of sea duck hunting.in those days and he heard me say that I was going sea duck hunting the next day to another guy. He said "I like sea ducks and I will pick any you shoot for half the ducks" Well sea ducks pick hard so I told him that I would bring up what I shot and he could pick them on the "half" Well the next morning I shot 5 and took them to his door. So that evening I went to his house to get my picked sea ducks He met me at his door and told me that he didn`t pick them himself, but that there was a fellow in Clarks Harbour that picked them "on the half" and he had called his daughter in Clarks Harbour to come to Yarmouth and get the ducks and she would be bring the ducks back tomorrow afternoon all picked. So after work the next day I went to his door and knocked. He opened the door said here is your duck and handed me one picked sea duck. I said well I gave you 5 ducks and he said well the guy in Clark`s Harbour kept 2, and for all his trouble to get them picked that he himself was keeping 2 , so here is your duck. I told him that one duck would not feed my family and then he grabbed the duck out of my hand and said if one duck was not enough for my family then he would take it as there was no sense wasting 1 duck, and slammed the door shut. So I never got any of the 5 ducks that I shot. A few days later he came into the shop looking for bottles and one of the guys asked him how were the sea ducks. He said that he gave one to the woman next door if she would cook the other 2 he had for him. He said that after she cooked up all 3 ducks she invited him over for supper and her duck was served with all the trimmings and it was delicious and that he had the other 2 in his fridge and would be eating ducks all week.

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
The old guy may not have had a lot of money but he sure knew how to work a deal lol .

1 - 5 of 5 Posts