Nova Scotia Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
GREYBEARD
2,875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read older posts on this caliber, but wanted to know what anyone thought of 204 Ruger for coyotes nowadays.
I was offered a gun in this caliber with dies, projectiles and cases to reload.
Let me know what you think of this caliber.

·
Administrator
9,924 Posts
Fasssssssssssssssssssssst.....awesome on vermin....NO recoil...just a loud BARK !

Do IT !!!!!!!

Reactions: greybeard

·
Registered
13,650 Posts
Only caliper I have honestly ever worn a barrel out on close on a 22-250 also. Mind you we are talking like 3500 rounds or so
I would not have another but that is just me. Many love them
I like the 223 now and stuck with that since
Cheers

·
Registered
684 Posts
No experience with it, but my gut reaction is there are too many calibers. What does this do that the .223 will not? Is there really a need for the 22-250 and the 204 Ruger? Is there a need for 22 WMR and 5MM? It seems the newest generation of shooter is attracted to something which shoots "flat" like the .17 hmr. If a person is the type that needs to try Pepsi Max, then the newer calibers will be interesting. For me, its about the cost of shooting. I will go with the cheaper caliber because you buy the rifle once, and in any case it will keep it's value more or less. Ammo is a consumable.

·
GREYBEARD
2,875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Fasssssssssssssssssssssst.....awesome on vermin....NO recoil...just a loud BARK !

Do IT !!!!!!!
I like your enthusiasm Kevin! I am considering it and like that fact that it has lots of reloading supplies with it.

·
Administrator
9,924 Posts
With everything else included..it'd be a no brainer for me. 1 lb of powder and some primers and you're on your way to some lazer holed targets !!

·
Administrator
9,924 Posts
No experience with it, but my gut reaction is there are too many calibers. What does this do that the .223 will not? Is there really a need for the 22-250 and the 204 Ruger? Is there a need for 22 WMR and 5MM? It seems the newest generation of shooter is attracted to something which shoots "flat" like the .17 hmr. If a person is the type that needs to try Pepsi Max, then the newer calibers will be interesting. For me, its about the cost of shooting. I will go with the cheaper caliber because you buy the rifle once, and in any case it will keep it's value more or less. Ammo is a consumable.
So then why do folks bother with ANY other calibers other than one when it comes to hunting / shooting ??
what will a 284 bullet do that a 277 bullet wont...or a 257 and a 243 diameter bullet ?? A mere few thousanths of an inch won't make any difference to a deer, bear, moose or a shoot n see target.
It's cuz we can !!!
Cuz someone decided to build a wildcat case off of another parent case...and apparently it's taken off enuff that the ammo makers have added it to their production line....basically in a nut shell...CUZ we the people love it !
I've spent more than I care to share on a few thousandths of an inch killing paper...nothing any better for therapy for me !!

·
Registered
684 Posts
So then why do folks bother with ANY other calibers other than one when it comes to hunting / shooting ??
what will a 284 bullet do that a 277 bullet wont...or a 257 and a 243 diameter bullet ?? A mere few thousanths of an inch won't make any difference to a deer, bear, moose or a shoot n see target.
It's cuz we can !!!
Cuz someone decided to build a wildcat case off of another parent case...and apparently it's taken off enuff that the ammo makers have added it to their production line....basically in a nut shell...CUZ we the people love it !
I've spent more than I care to share on a few thousandths of an inch killing paper...nothing any better for therapy for me !!
I think it's the same as beer, coffee, ice cream and fruit juice marketing. Have you tried __ don't you know it's an interesting choice, blah blah. There are purposes for many of the calibers, and also for bullet types. We all know that and it doesn't need explaining. But it's just become a bit ridiculous when someone cannot really come up with a reason for the new ones. The reviews have to chase their warm endorsement with a "if you can find it" or "maybe once it is produced in quantity, the prices will come down". Look at shotguns They don't have 50 different gauges. Even those are whittling down with little interest in 16 and 28 gauge.

It's not for me. If you want to spot me at a ice cream cone stand with 36 flavours, I'm the guy with a single scoop chocolate. Mass production is what I like to see in a caliber I'm going with.

I was a bit curious about the side loading 410 lever that was made by Henry or Marlin, but at a buck a round for 410 (and the prices never come down, only up, up, up), no thank you. I'd just end up looking at the rifle rather than shooting it.

·
Registered
13,650 Posts
I think it's the same as beer, coffee, ice cream and fruit juice marketing. Have you tried __ don't you know it's an interesting choice, blah blah. There are purposes for many of the calibers, and also for bullet types. We all know that and it doesn't need explaining. But it's just become a bit ridiculous when someone cannot really come up with a reason for the new ones. The reviews have to chase their warm endorsement with a "if you can find it" or "maybe once it is produced in quantity, the prices will come down". Look at shotguns They don't have 50 different gauges. Even those are whittling down with little interest in 16 and 28 gauge.

It's not for me. If you want to spot me at a ice cream cone stand with 36 flavours, I'm the guy with a single scoop chocolate. Mass production is what I like to see in a caliber I'm going with.

I was a bit curious about the side loading 410 lever that was made by Henry or Marlin, but at a buck a round for 410 (and the prices never come down, only up, up, up), no thank you. I'd just end up looking at the rifle rather than shooting it.
Hey careful with that one:p
Both have a very strong following still if one knows where to look and I cannot list a 28ga without it selling in hours with normally five or six complaining that they missed it
Cheers

·
Administrator
9,924 Posts
Browning still makes em ;) ;)

·
Registered
13,650 Posts
I like your enthusiasm Kevin! I am considering it and like that fact that it has lots of reloading supplies with it.
If the price is right go for it
If not putting 1000's and 1000's of rounds through it you will die with it
Bag flop on coyotes also and very accurate
take care

·
Registered
684 Posts
There might be interest in collecting, and that will create a demand for a particular firearm. It has nothing to do with what people use hunting and at the range and whether it is practical to own. The supply of ammunition speaks for itself. If you can't buy ammo for a certain caliber or gauge, you're not shooting it much.

·
GREYBEARD
2,875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
When it comes to my 28 gauge it is definitely one of my favorites, I looked for quite awhile to find anything in 28.
Shot shells are not hard to find either.

·
GREYBEARD
2,875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Still thinking of the 204 Ruger, I may go have a second look.
Thank you for the input.

·
GREYBEARD
2,875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Still thinking of the 204 Ruger, I may go have a second look.
Thank you for the input.

·
GREYBEARD
2,875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
not sure why this double posted!

·
Administrator
9,924 Posts
28ga?? Don't need any more :p 32 or 33 cannot remember is enough:D:D
New Citori Hunters GR I or II...28 ga...reg 2700.00....special @ 2400.00...Tillsonburg Gun Shop ;) ;)

1 - 20 of 50 Posts