Nova Scotia Hunting Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I returned late yesterday from a long day of scouting and am just itching for general season to start. Lots of fresh sign in the woods and plenty of locations I'd like to setup. Here's my question: I finally found what I would consider to be a Deer Highway....Like I seriously thought I had stumbled upon a hiking trail it is so worn down. Question is, If I set my popup blind 70ish yds off this trail so I can watch it, would you put an apple pile by the trail? I haven't setup a cam yet so I'm not entirely sure how often the deer are coming through but I figure on one hand, an apple pile would get the deer passing by to stop so I can get a clean shot, but on the other hand, I don't want to interfere with the trail and make the deer nervous.

I'd really like to hunt this spot, but I'm worried about spooking the deer that are using this. Maybe I should just leave it alone and not setup a blind? Hunt it only a few random times throughout the season? Your input is greatly appreciated!

·
Administrator
10,197 Posts
Put a few apples out to stop them up. Deer are a creature of habit. They use the same trails all their lives. They have pre planned escape routes alond those trails as well. A doe (family group) will live their whole lives within a certain sq kms....never venturing beyond thos perimeters. A buck, on the other hand will roam endlessly in search of those locked up does.
DO IT !! Set it up Spencer...sounds like a great spot to be !!

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
Id setup there, drop apples/bait 5 to 10m off the trail. Set the cam behind the bait to watch the trail, popup behind that again. Sit and wait

·
Registered
4,353 Posts
When I bought my property it was known for deer that came off the mountain diagonally through me. I first set up a tree stand close to the trail but this disturbed them, especially the cagy bucks. I figured out that I needed to be back considerably from the trail to allow them space off the side of the trail. Also any walking, poking around in there sent them packing for weeks on end. Once I moved my stand back they seemed to go back to there route. Been there now for eight years. I am about 60 yards from my bait, and the bait is another 60 from there trail. Funny how just another 60-100 yards or so changed things. I always bait, and don't have a camera up during hunting season. The big bucks seem to know. Had cameras out all year, no large bucks would even venture in front of them, even with the path seeded. So nervous they would not show themselves even with the tempting feed. Nothing but does, bears etc. Crafty buggers. Cameras are now gone. They then seem to pop up around 1-15 November. I usually use a grunt.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Sounds like you found a half descent spot...put out your blind and some apples and see what happens.

·
Registered
14,508 Posts
When I bought my property it was known for deer that came off the mountain diagonally through me. I first set up a tree stand close to the trail but this disturbed them, especially the cagy bucks. I figured out that I needed to be back considerably from the trail to allow them space off the side of the trail. Also any walking, poking around in there sent them packing for weeks on end. Once I moved my stand back they seemed to go back to there route. Been there now for eight years. I am about 60 yards from my bait, and the bait is another 60 from there trail. Funny how just another 60-100 yards or so changed things. I always bait, and don't have a camera up during hunting season. The big bucks seem to know. Had cameras out all year, no large bucks would even venture in front of them, even with the path seeded. So nervous they would not show themselves even with the tempting feed. Nothing but does, bears etc. Crafty buggers. Cameras are now gone. They then seem to pop up around 1-15 November. I usually use a grunt.
Here is a shock for you. :pI agree with you 100%. :DHave seen the same thing happen on our property when I hunted deer there
Me I would carefully set the camera up to see what is using the trail with the bare number of visits needed and if a big buck is I would do nothing other than the blind set up as you say quite a piece back and stay out of there
If no nice bucks then apples 100% to keep the does around to eventually draw him in but hidden so no one can find the set up
My 2 cents

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That settles it! Move in date will be this Saturday.😄 I think this will be a good season!

·
Registered
6,480 Posts
I assume there is FRESH SIGN on this tràil" try to figure out where the trail starts and ends and look for intersecting trails. Keep in mind the bigger bucks quite often follow their own trail and not that of other deer! If you decide to bait set up where there are intersecting trails but well off the trails!
My suggestion at this point in time would be
1- and definitely the MOST IMPORTANT-( if your looking for a mature buck) scent control and yes go to great lengths to eliminate human odours!!!
2- return to this spot on a rainy day ( rain kills scent) set up some cameras; preferably ones with dark or no flash, go back a week later (when it’s raining) and check pics.
Also on those outings scout the surrounding areas; you should be able to find some rubs and these can be a good indicator of how big a particular buck is, the immediate area of this trail may not be in the homerange of a big buck. So if your looking for such you have to be sure one lives there. Yes you can wait for the rut and hope,hope,hope as many do and never tag out!
Do NOT over scout/ hunt the area if your looking for a big buck!
Of course you can just dump some apples/ carrots, set up a blind and hope a big guy shows up ( like so many others do without success) but you leave too much to chance by doing that, Find the food source find the bedding area finds the deer.
Also keep in mind this trail may be used only throughout a specific time of year and the food source at the end of this trail may dry up before the regular season begins.
Still hunting can be very helpfull in gaining knowledge and experience you can’t get any other way!

·
Registered
6,480 Posts
Happy hunting and good luck,hopefully the buck of your dreams will be in your scope the very first day!!!

Reactions: WoodsMaster

·
GREYBEARD
2,927 Posts
All good advice here I agree, enjoy your hunting season.

Reactions: WoodsMaster

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I assume there is FRESH SIGN on this tràil" try to figure out where the trail starts and ends and look for intersecting trails. Keep in mind the bigger bucks quite often follow their own trail and not that of other deer! If you decide to bait set up where there are intersecting trails but well off the trails!
My suggestion at this point in time would be
1- and definitely the MOST IMPORTANT-( if your looking for a mature buck) scent control and yes go to great lengths to eliminate human odours!!!
2- return to this spot on a rainy day ( rain kills scent) set up some cameras; preferably ones with dark or no flash, go back a week later (when it’s raining) and check pics.
Also on those outings scout the surrounding areas; you should be able to find some rubs and these can be a good indicator of how big a particular buck is, the immediate area of this trail may not be in the homerange of a big buck. So if your looking for such you have to be sure one lives there. Yes you can wait for the rut and hope,hope,hope as many do and never tag out!
Do NOT over scout/ hunt the area if your looking for a big buck!
Of course you can just dump some apples/ carrots, set up a blind and hope a big guy shows up ( like so many others do without success) but you leave too much to chance by doing that, Find the food source find the bedding area finds the deer.
Also keep in mind this trail may be used only throughout a specific time of year and the food source at the end of this trail may dry up before the regular season begins.
Still hunting can be very helpfull in gaining knowledge and experience you can’t get any other way!
Great Advice Triple D! I'll definitely use this area cautiously and do my best to keep scent control down. I'll keep you all updated once I get a camera in there!

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
Scent control is very important. I don’t believe it is as important during the rut. The big ones have one thing on their mind during that time. Does will be your biggest deer attractant. Keep them in the area and good things will come to those that wait. I have learned from past mistakes in the last number of years. I will be in my blind during the hours of 10 am and 2pm during the rut this year. I missed out last year on 2 separate bucks in my 2 locations. One walked out 40 min after I left, at 10:30 am and one showed up at my other site at 1:40 pm.… when I was home. During the rut … the deer will pop up when you least expect them. Note the time stamp.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,353 Posts
Don't forget to practice a victory dance. Back in the woods no one will see you so anything goes. I used to be able to do wild dance followed by cart wheels but now my back won't handle it. I do a big Rick Flair Whoooooo instead:).

·
Registered
14,508 Posts
Don't forget to practice a victory dance. Back in the woods no one will see you so anything goes. I used to be able to do wild dance followed by cart wheels but now my back won't handle it. I do a big Rick Flair Whoooooo instead:).
You only think no one seen you last year. It was all over facebook:D:D
Head Hand Plant Human body Organism

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Scent control is very important. I don’t believe it is as important during the rut. The big ones have one thing on their mind during that time. Does will be your biggest deer attractant. Keep them in the area and good things will come to those that wait. I have learned from past mistakes in the last number of years. I will be in my blind during the hours of 10 am and 2pm during the rut this year. I missed out last year on 2 separate bucks in my 2 locations. One walked out 40 min after I left, at 10:30 am and one showed up at my other site at 1:40 pm.… when I was home. During the rut … the deer will pop up when you least expect them. Note the time stamp.
That is a gorgeous deer Buckmark! I have the same problem, I get too antsy and usually leave my blind around 10:30 and start walking. Had a similar experience 2 years ago, first day of the season and I decided to sit in my 2nd spot. Sure enough a nice 10pt showed up not once, but twice between 10am and 4pm at the spot I WASN'T at. Just the way she goes sometimes lol

·
Registered
12 Posts
I only bait were itis needed if the apple trees our depleted i put some under, If thefood plot are replanted even if the trees are bare they keep coming. Were its a spot in the woods yes with great success. Ps you don't need a huge feed pile just a 3 gallon bucket every 2 or 3 days.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts