Nova Scotia Hunting Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How does the beaver meat hold up during the warm weather. I would think the flies would get to it and be all maggots in a day or 2 and basically be gone in 3-4 days even if a bear didn't take it..
A new friend says that's all he used in Ont as bait.
I used a roadkill once about 12 years ago and it was there after the chicken guts walked off with the maggots. Then a day or 2 more it disappeared also due to a bear.

·
Registered
253 Posts
The road kill beaver I hung up hung there for 4-5 days, but the weather was cooler then. After that it stunk so bad I cut it down and dragged it off well to one side. I have popcorn in a shaker barrel, but the small bear that comes around every so often sniffs at the hole but cant seem to catch on to roll the barrel. Been hanging up flounder racks but he never seems to try them. Going to try some deep fryer oil in one of the other barrels. Last year at this time I had a small one there everyday all summer rolling the barrel. Not going to put out much bait yet as I haven`t caught photos of larger bears snooping around. Just something to keep a camera on to pass the time. Last year I was hanging up a few fresh mackerel every 4-5 days and they came around for those, but the mackerel haven`t shown up here yet.

·
Registered
5,301 Posts
I've always been quite drawn to beaver myself. OH wait......wrong beaver!

Reactions: beaverhunter

·
Registered
3,991 Posts
For the little bear baiting I would do in the fall, I personally stay away from feeding them dead things. That leads to many bears having tape worms, something I do not want to be handling when dressing.

·
Administrator
9,924 Posts
DD...we always used dry dog food in a barrel with about 10 gallons of fryer oil. The dog food doesn't go mushy in oil (unless you get a lot of rain in the barrel) have a hole big enuff (( 10 ") so they'll scoop it out with their paws...spilling the oil around...saturating their foot fur and pads...and eventually lugging off the scent for alll Gawds little critters to find and sniff their way back to the barrel, then tramp and track the scent back into the woods, so that others would do the same all over again.... We even tossed a few donuts in with it, but little else.

...no more maggoty stuff after the first season** cuz we were the only ones dragging it away ;);)

·
Registered
2,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I wish bear hunters didnt use fryer oil...... It make the tanners job that much harder to remove the extra oils from the fur.

Reactions: Shaun

·
Registered
253 Posts
Kevin I didn`t know that dry dog food would not dissolve in oil. I`ve used it alone, but it always dissolved if wet. I have an oil barrel a feed barrel and a shaker barrel at the site. Haven`t put anything out except the road kill, flounder racks and some popcorn in the shaker. Hard to get oil here, but I will try oil and dog food.

·
Administrator
9,924 Posts
The dry stuff we had seemed like it lasted a long time..before the mushy set in.
We also used ..Hard grease like left over from bacon or lard...mixed with cherry koolaid and icing sugar makes a great spreadable treat...we put it up high on tree trunks...on downed logs...work it in to the cracks and crevasses good...makes em work a bit to get it all licked off !

1 - 8 of 8 Posts