Nova Scotia Hunting Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
13,353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited by Moderator)
The old town coyotes are sure on the move this morning

Two behind my greenhouse at 7.00 am and then two in two different spots heading across the ice

Going to your neck of the woods Nomad
sad.png
both in the wide open for 1/4 a mile and could not careless

Anyone else seeing any or getting some

Cheers

·
Super Moderator
9,772 Posts
I watched the special last night about the Taylor Mitchell attack on the skyline trail. Sad and heartbreaking...Certainly opens your eyes about their ability to adapt to their surroundings, able to eat, survive and digest anything that grows as a food source and especially to what level of predator they're now evolving to !!!

·
Super Moderator
9,772 Posts
Nope...that's for sure !! Lots of guys found predated carcasses while in the highlands moose hunting over the years. David G has some fresh kill pics oh here a few years back...moose calf IIRC

·
Registered
5,282 Posts
Well that's just great! First I have to dodge all the town Cougars when I go pick up a pizza on a Friday night( the pizzeria is across from the French club)and now I have to deal with town coyotes!

·
Registered
13,353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited by Moderator)
Well that's just great! First I have to dodge all the town Cougars when I go pick up a pizza on a Friday night( the pizzeria is across from the French club)and now I have to deal with town coyotes!
All joking aside don't take your eye off them if you see one in town

I had a stand off with one last summer in the veggie garden fer came with teeth showing within maybe 10 feet of me ( swinging shovel made him stop IMO ) and the mrs had a scare a few years ago on the back horse track behind my house walking so much so she never walked there again
sad.png

Some bold in town I find

I hope the coyotes like your pizza
laugh.png
laugh.png
and I don't think even the cougars would be interested in your old carcass
laugh.png
laugh.png

·
Registered
5,282 Posts
They are all over Lingan Joe. You couldn't run beagles over here. You'd be almost guaranteed to lose one or more.

·
Registered
6,252 Posts
There are an estimated 38,000,000 coyotes in Canada!

·
GREYBEARD
2,833 Posts
Seems to be lots of coyotes where I live, and they are active this time of year.

·
Registered
13,353 Posts
Had 18 deer in the back field this morning. Most ever in 26 years and seeing coyotes and hearing coyotes right around the house more than normal. I blamed breeding season but now I know why I would say :(

Cheers

·
Registered
13,353 Posts
Finally heard them the other night out behind the house nothing in the morn when i went out ...
They don't like living in your neck of the woods I would say. Then again we are no more than maybe a mile and a half apart

Pretty much every couple of days I will hear them here both morning and evening and lately even seeing some in day light during the day

Also howling a couple times so close they had to be in the yard . Then again I don't sleep anymore so don't miss too much in my bubble

I am starting to wonder also if that woman down the street is feeding them again to save the deer. She stopped about 4 years ago after her little white feefee
biggrin.png
vanished but strange I am seeing and hearing so many again. That is what it was like here when she was feeding them

Take care

·
Registered
13,353 Posts
Hope you are OK something real big and bloody on the ice with a ton of crows today , guess a deer but god knows . Hope they didnot get you on the friday pizza run but the entire town is checking it out so will know soon
sad.png
. Too far to see for this old guy

·
Registered
5,282 Posts
Hope you are OK something real big and bloody on the ice with a ton of crows today , guess a deer but god knows . Hope they didnot get you on the friday pizza run but the entire town is checking it out so will know soon :(. Too far to see for this old guy
Wasn't me. I was elsewhere jogging!

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Not really related to "town" coyotes... but I was out walking around my wood lot yesterday and came across a fresh coyote kill. We had no snow this winter, and hardly any snow in the woods... my first thought was these buggers must be very persistent to take down a good sized buck when there is no snow to slow a deer down. I was looking over what was left of the carcass when I noticed what caused this deers demise. A very tight coyote snare with about 6 inches of frayed cable attached to it's back foot. This is a deer that I had many pictures of, and seen many times last fall. Made me sick. Although I can't prove it ... I'm guessing the snare was set on my property, since the deer was a local for many months. Why aren't trappers putting deer stops on their snares ??? I am all for getting rid of coyotes ... but if I come across any traps or snares on my property ... they will be disappearing. The actions that poor deer went through to break that cable is unimaginable. No wonder the 'yotes caught up to him.

·
Registered
13,353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hate hearing stuff like this. Bad enough for them to kill him but being tied to a tree while they do it :(

1 - 20 of 34 Posts