Nova Scotia Hunting Forum banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Last weekend driving in town we saw the strangest looking buck. I had seen him before following does in some town corn fields and this time same field there he is. This time he had no interest in does at all and was on his way to apple tree by the road. So as we come around the intersection there he is right by the road side and we had a perfect view of..... a spikehorn. But wait I clearly remember seeing large antlers a second ago. Turns out he had full main beam sized spikes. Like he should have been an 8pt but had nothing coming off the beam. Just two long thick spiral spikes. Guess thats what he gets for living behind the mall and the Stella Jones wood phone poll treatment facility. Lol

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Last weekend driving in town we saw the strangest looking buck. I had seen him before following does in some town corn fields and this time same field there he is. This time he had no interest in does at all and was on his way to apple tree by the road. So as we come around the intersection there he is right by the road side and we had a perfect view of..... a spikehorn. But wait I clearly remember seeing large antlers a second ago. Turns out he had full main beam sized spikes. Like he should have been an 8pt but had nothing coming off the beam. Just two long thick spiral spikes. Guess thats what he gets for living behind the mall and the Stella Jones wood phone poll treatment facility. Lol
Lol

Been on some hunts where some 9" spikers have been shot with big bodies. It's really weird. The again I have seen some big racks on small deer too here in NS.

I really find the deer in this province facinating. South shore deer seem to gobble carrots up, while deer in other areas won't touch them. Also up Antigonish way, and northern parts of the province and Cape Breton you can get some real smashers all 200lb + dressed. Other parts of the province you have runts.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
These would have been well over 9”. Lol.

and to add to your weird deer appetites in the area I hunt I have tried putting out feed like corn and beef grower and they don’t even touch it. They will clean apples out but won’t even look sideways at corn. but my dad only 15km away has them cleaning out bags and bags of corn at every site.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Yesterday was the first time in 16 years I wished I had a cell phone again to do a video
Coming up to a stop sign at a intersection and to my right in front I could see this buck coming wide open across the field and noticed he had one antler broken off with just three points on one side
I looked down the road and here is this car coming full speed and I think my god they don't see him and he is heading right for them
Sure enough just when he goes to cross the road they must have seen it from the side window and slammed on the brakes
The old deer I figured was heading right into the side of the car and then next thing I knew he was air bore and jumped the car clean right over the roof and never touched it and continued on his run
The lady was crying so I went down to see if she was Ok and she rolled the window down and got out saying where did my cell phone go:rolleyes:
I knew deer could jump but man this was amazing to see
Car was a 4 door blue elantra
Cheers
Wow, that must have been quite the sight!

·
Registered
14,910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 · (Edited)
Wow, that must have been quite the sight!
Sure was. Have seen them take high fences but never over a car
One sad little one in the yard this morning, eating apples mama must have sent her packing
God dam is just started snowing :(
Yes old thunderstick kicks me because I can's go to the woods any more to hunt
If allowed I would have filled my tag with the bow at least four times in the back yard
8, 6 and 4 pointer all less than 20 yards since the season opened and me talking to them the 8 point for like 30 minutes
Cheers

·
Registered
14,910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 · (Edited)
Well last night I watched a big doe and young one for about 10 minutes and then about 45 minutes later here comes mr buck nose to the ground. They all vanished and about 3 hours later there is mr buck a 6 point coming back over to the lawn
Looks like my compost bin blew over and he starts eating one of the heads of cabbage and before he left finished off two . There were lots of apples and potatoes also out spilled but nope it was cabbage he wanted and stayed there for over 30 minutes even though cars were flying by less than 20 feet from him
So why cabbage over apples I ask
Interesting

·
Registered
14,910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Kind of disgusted today
Have had a nice number of town deer coming into the apple trees in the yard for a few years now but this year not so many ( which is real strange ) and the last few weeks pretty much none
There was a nice 8 point with four other deer coming fairly regular and the last week and a half I have but one of them and I am pretty sure the one coming is from that bunch since it is so small it looks like it just lost it's spots and from that group
It cannot even reach the honey crisp apples still hanging on the tree which any other year the deer would have taken long ago
It is hanging around looking like it lost it's best friend and I even knocked some apples down for it yesterday since it was laying under the tree all day so it could eat
A friend and member here told me a few days ago Joe forget about your deer especially that 8 point they are gone we have a jacker in town and has been cleaning them out and DNR is aware of it but have not been able to catch him
Well last night I heard an ATV which is not the norm here and there was a guy in a hoodie driving down the side walk with a small deer on the back and crossed the road in front of my place and up into the woods and trail there . I figured it was my little guy but he was there today so not him :)

One small part of me wants them gone since it is better for my garden but the most of me is disgusted they had to go like this
I hope they catch the bastard since apparently he is not starving but selling the meat and anyone that buys it chokes on it
My rant for today
take care

·
Registered
14,910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 · (Edited)
Yesterday was the first time in 16 years I wished I had a cell phone again to do a video
Coming up to a stop sign at a intersection and to my right in front I could see this buck coming wide open across the field and noticed he had one antler broken off with just three points on one side
I looked down the road and here is this car coming full speed and I think my god they don't see him and he is heading right for them
Sure enough just when he goes to cross the road they must have seen it from the side window and slammed on the brakes
The old deer I figured was heading right into the side of the car and then next thing I knew he was air bore and jumped the car clean right over the roof and never touched it and continued on his run
The lady was crying so I went down to see if she was Ok and she rolled the window down and got out saying where did my cell phone go:rolleyes:
I knew deer could jump but man this was amazing to see
Car was a 4 door blue elantra
Cheers
Well I got to see this deer again . Only this time he was not so lucky and his head is laying by the side of my old bud's barn
He got him saturday night about approx 3 miles we figure from where I seen him jump the car. Big deer and neck huge from rutting
First deer my old bud seen this year and he has not missed a day since muzzy season opened. Shot him at 10 feet going to his apple pile and scared the crap out of him when he jumped out in front of the blind:p:pHe was lucky and could not drag him out alone too heavy and had to leave him until sunday morning and a huge shock not even a fox at the deer or the gut pile. I figured the coyotes would have hit it but not so
Cheers

21 - 29 of 29 Posts