Nova Scotia Hunting Forum banner
21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
5,425 Posts
Unless your cams are cellular, they will give off no indication of their existence. We have more janitors at work than there are CO's in NS. Again I say, unpoliceable. Same goes for any baiting bans. No manpower to enforce it.

Reactions: Tyson10gauge

·
Registered
6,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Unpoliceable.
It is if you have the resources US fish and game officers are better trained have way more resources and have no problem getting out of their vechile and going into the woods or setting up sting operations. They also have the support of the justice system with stiffer fines and jail time. Plus there is always the chance another hunter will report you esp on public land in the US.

·
Registered
6,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
They might be banned … which I highly doubt … but would be un-policeable, as nomad states. Just like natural scents … illegal to use, but some places still sell them. When I asked the owner of the store about it … he said illegal to use, but still legal to sell.
Sorry no doubt about it!

·
Registered
6,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
makes sense when you see the issues some of the tech caused in those western places. A lot different terrain than here.

a lot of those western places also have large non-motorized areas, no baiting , etc.
Lots of states prohibit baiting not just Western like Maine

·
Registered
6,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
they are used a lot for security so like others have said impossible to enforce
Some states make it simple - NO TRAIL CAMS on public land Aug 1 - Dec 31

·
Registered
6,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
NS doesn't care about hunting, no money is put into it from a gov't perspective, the restrictions and penalties are lax when it comes to anything. IMO they aren't going to do anything cause doing something costs money.
That’s exactly why it might happen here. The right group gets on the bandwagon it gets passed because our gov supports the groups that they hope to gain votes from

Reactions: 3macs1

·
Registered
6,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
B4 ANY of the Tree Huggers start to lobby banning Trail Cams , they best lobby to TOTALLY BAN CLEAR CUTTING FIRST AND FOREMOST , yes its a so call ban already that is NOT enforced by any means . I can show anyone a new clear cut on Crown land that decimated that particular area AND allowed run off ( Silt / Mud ) out onto a Provincial Highway several inches deep and no recourse to clean it up or stop that operation while doing so .

That very thing continues , we won't have any trees to put up a trail cam to watch wildlife
Hard to fight the forestry industry here but easy to fight hunters and gun owners.

Reactions: 3macs1

·
Registered
6,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
All I am saying is it doesn't take to much in NS for something to be banned if the right people or group grab onto something
Remember we are the leading edge Province for others to follow
How many times have I heard that BS
Cannot wait to see what stance they put on handguns here
Me IMHO it will be bait piles before trail cams IF it ever happens
I didnot realize until today they are banned in BC already

Our pals already went after drones :(
Cheers

Disagree baiting is safer,very few lost hunters or shot hunters since baitin became popular

·
Registered
6,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Arizona Nevada and Montana have banned the use of TC’s for hunting.
Numerous states have banned the use of cell cameras and are also considering banning TC’s as well claiming they’re use does not constitute fair chase.
Boone and Crockett will NOT consider any critter taken with the aid of a cell camera for its records.

·
Registered
6,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Policable or not the law is the law and responsible people are expected to obey it.
Lots of hard

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
I'm sure there are deer in the B&C record book shot at night. I'm sure the use of a trail cam will not prevent anyone from getting into the book. Lots of "professional hunters" have book deer and B&C know about their use of trail cams. (Cody Robbins ... Jim Shockey ... Dean Partridge, just to name a few).

·
Registered
6,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
I'm sure there are deer in the B&C record book shot at night. I'm sure the use of a trail cam will not prevent anyone from getting into the book. Lots of "professional hunters" have book deer and B&C know about their use of trail cams. (Cody Robbins ... Jim Shockey ... Dean Partridge, just to name a few).
Usually if an animal was harvested before a law was passed B&C let’s it stand.
I said B&C will not except animals harvested with the aid of CELL cameras not trail cams.
Probably lots of animals in B&C books not taken by their rules but if B&C finds out they immediately remove the critter from their records and REMOVE ALL RECORDS OF THE PERSON THAT DID NOT FOLLOW THEIR RULES.! Boone and Crockett has removed numerous persons from their books for violating their fair chase rules.

·
Registered
6,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
There are lots of hard to enforce laws. Like shooting a deer with a rifle and using your muzzy tag, which everyone on here bitches about. As said the law is the law your choice. But if you get caught, yep your fault!

·
Registered
6,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Yep play that card and next they will say hunting should be banned if so dangerous one has to sit at a bait
Cheers
Just saying joe stats show less people getting shot or lost with 90% of hunters baiting.
Don’t worry there are lots of people that want to ban hunting and want a total ban on firearms. They are well organized and willing to go slow,pick battles they can win and just chip away a bit here and there until the war is over and they finally win. Likely easier for them to be successful banning things that helps ( technology) first. Of course if they go after baiting, that would be a huge battle and a huge victory because half the hunters out there would likely pack it in thereby decreases our numbers drastically

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
I don’t think we will ever see baiting and trail cams outlawed in NS... in our lifetime. The deer population needs to be managed and that’s the bottom line. As long as you are not hunting at night, or too close to peoples houses or schools … i think they are ok with how things are rolling right now.

·
Registered
2,753 Posts
Baiting is the norm here now - maybe Im wrong but Im thinking the Ag Assoc & business people might be bending the ear of politicians if talk of a baiting ban was in the air.

30,000 to 40,000 hunters purchasing millions of pounds of fresh produce each year. They usually go to the farm and pick it up. Pretty good deal for farmers.

There's also grains, pre-packaged feeds for bait. Feed stores & small businesses profit from that.

Then the trucks, trailers, ATV's, etc to transport this bait.

·
Registered
15,757 Posts
Just saying joe stats show less people getting shot or lost with 90% of hunters baiting.
Don’t worry there are lots of people that want to ban hunting and want a total ban on firearms. They are well organized and willing to go slow,pick battles they can win and just chip away a bit here and there until the war is over and they finally win. Likely easier for them to be successful banning things that helps ( technology) first. Of course if they go after baiting, that would be a huge battle and a huge victory because half the hunters out there would likely pack it in thereby decreases our numbers drastically
[/QUOTE]

Oh I agree with you 3D. Funny you mention packing it in. My old bud and In were talking about it yesterday and that is exactly what he said he would do
He said my god I see one deer hunting every day this year with hundreds of pounds of bait out what would I have seen with none not worth wasting time hunting deer for me
Cheers

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
Exactly Joe. Baiting deer does not equal filling a tag. I said earlier that in 15 years or so baiting ... I shot 4 deer .... and neither of those were at the actual bait pile. They followed the does that were coming in and was standing at the edge of the woods.

·
Registered
15,757 Posts
Exactly Joe. Baiting deer does not equal filling a tag. I said earlier that in 15 years or so baiting ... I shot 4 deer .... and neither of those were at the actual bait pile. They followed the does that were coming in and was standing at the edge of the woods.
Here is my take on baiting
As a kid hunting deer did we bait NOPE
But did we sit around the apple trees in the pasture and the big veggie gardens YEP and that is where our blinds were
So what is the difference

21 - 40 of 42 Posts