Nova Scotia Hunting Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Folks,

My name is Ann Morrison and I am a volunteer and co-founder of NS Lost Dog Network. You have been very gracious in spreading the word about lost dogs in the past and I'm wondering if I could now ask for some help with information on a Trail cam. We are considering purchasing (having donated?? .^0) a trail cam to be used with tracking long term lost dogs with recent sightings. Using it to confirm a dog sighting or location. If we bait an area, it would be nice to confirm we are attracting the dog, and not, well, all the 'others'.

Having never used one, I'm wondering if you could advise us on the feasibility of this idea. It's not something we could use with every lost dog, but certain ones, perhaps. Do we go for photos or video? Best storage/memory/lights? And the question everyone asks... which is best for your money? My theory is why reinvent the wheel when so many of you have done this research already (smiling). Here's my first stupid question, at least I think it's my first... do you lock them onto a tree or just cross your fingers and leave it? Love my fellow Nova Scotians, but I grew up in the city and I am a little jaded. Are there 'extras' not often considered when you first buy a trail cam, that can add up?

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer... it is greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,

Ann Morrison
NS Lost Dog Network
ns.lostdognetwork.com
[email protected]

·
Registered
913 Posts
moultrie sells lots of nice products.. problem you are going to run into with baiting is that no doubt others are going to find your cameras and you are going to start having them stolen..

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Readeth...

It would be over a short term that any area would be baiting... and baiting would be the dogs blanket, some kibble, etc. I'm thinking like a few nights. The other choice might be investing in night vision monocular, or binoculars. Though, the trail cam has the benefit of leaving it... and I guess the downfall. So, you guys just leave them out there with fingers crossed? Hmm... Maybe I don't have to pay for one. LOL Kidding. Well, perhaps like any live trap we use, we would only place them on private property with permission, close to homes... dogs tend to come out of the woods after six or so days, but not necessarily home. And then again, maybe the trail cam wont suit our need. Thank you for the recommendation and advice.

Ann M

·
Banned
355 Posts
Spypoint is a Canadian Company.
I have had zero issues with their cams.

The cams will take up to 12 MP images and full HD video.
Black and white photos at night
Some connect to the internet and send pics to your email, don't even have to leave home to see pics

Theives are hard to stop. Others don't even think to look
Put you cam in a position that it is less likely to be found and the put out bait accordingly.

·
Registered
8,805 Posts
Cable locks are used to secure cams to trees available at Cdn Tire for about $25

Theft is an issue but if it is not in a high traffic area at a high traffic time and you are careful about your in/out route and not leaving a trail you should be OK.
I would say for just a conformation pic and a short stay you should be fine...the less people that know it is there the better.
Rule of thumb for everything left in the woods.....If you'll miss it, take it with you.
I have been using cams for about 6yrs now and haven't lost one yet.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys... this is encouraging. Nice to see a Canadian company recommended. And lovin' the lock! lol And heck, if they don't work with the dogs, I can always take up Sasquatch research! ;^)

Cheers,

Ann Morrison
NSLDN

1 - 6 of 6 Posts