Nova Scotia Hunting Forum banner

Trails and Hikes

1500 Views 35 Replies 9 Participants Last post by  Tyson10gauge
So figure I start new thread for those interested in trails and hikes in different parts of the Province , set of pictures in this post are from Dalem Lake Provincial Park in Cape Breton County , every yr we travel around to different places hiking different trail systems or exploring different places as has been a thing of ours over last 27 yrs .

Today's hike was nice with light brisk to mild breeze , sunny with few clouds , snow was getting softened up starting to go to melting to where if you walked off trail you fall thru to bottom of snow pack , good sign spring is around the corner . Sounds of different birds were present to give a nice back drop , looking over the lake dark spots starting to emerge thru snow layer another good sign spring is on the way . Just the over all kind of day that is great to be outside and enjoying life away from most technology and getting back toward nature .
Plant Larch Natural landscape Terrestrial plant Trunk
Sky Plant Water Natural landscape Branch

Plant Snow Wood Tree Freezing

Sky Plant Natural landscape Branch Slope

Water Sky Plant Natural landscape Fluvial landforms of streams

Sky Plant Cloud Natural landscape Snow

Nice clear path going around the lake , few scenic places to sit relax and enjoy the scenery , summer time this place is a great place to hike , walk or fish as lake is stocked as well . Took a slanted picture looking at a huge Pine with hole recently bored thru by a Pileated Woodpecker , that one is for our buddy White Pine Junkie , for everyone else hope you enjoy a new thread and pics to boot .
See less See more
Reactions: 4
21 - 36 of 36 Posts
I think you've got all the deer fenced in there TS!
Growing your own herd! Nice spot you have there!
It was horrible swampy woods when I purchased it. Been picking at it for the last ten years renting an excavator, ditching to divert the water. There was never a creek there but now water flows all year. Each time I move soil or create a trail I seed it. Seems like I have one real good size track in the mix. Deer had a good winter.
I remember you posted some pics when you were working on it. How many acres?
Very nice area indeed you have set up there Thunderstick !
Yup..beautiful spot for sure !!
I remember you posted some pics when you were working on it. How many acres?
Not enough (30 acres), but I am in the middle to two huge sections of forests (1000's of acres that deer and bear pass through). I never know what each year / day brings. Some of the land is being sold off for developement and its concerning. Seen some survey and new power poles being installed on my side. People are moving out building houses. Who all these new people are I don't know but 7 houses are on the go. 2.0 acre lots have gone for as high as $60,000. My hunting may get ruined but the property sure went up in value, so did my taxes 😀 .
Reactions: 1
To GET MORE....you needa PAY MORE...you know how the gub'ment works ole boyyy...lol
To GET MORE....you needa PAY MORE...you know how the gub'ment works ole boyyy...lol
One of my old hunting spots went up for sale last fall. Shot two big bucks there. A woodlot that is wet and swampy, road to it is almost impassable. Kind of wondering if I should persue it. Its been on the market now180 days with no interest.All they can say to my offer is no 😀 30 acres, wooded. What is that worth?
At one time...3-400 / acre...now likely 1500+ per...or more even !!
At one time...3-400 / acre...now likely 1500+ per...or more even !!
Yes, considering a low offer because of the water issues. Wife is just gringing 😀 It costs nothing unless they accept:(
Yes, considering a low offer because of the water issues. Wife is just gringing 😀 It costs nothing unless they accept:(
If its wet and swampy it definitely is not worth as much as it would be otherwise. If I were interested, I would start quite low, especially if it is fairly remote with very poor road access and away from established cottage areas.
Maybe $10,000 or even a bit less. All they can say is no and make a counter offer. If they did counter offer then you would pretty much know how motivated they are to sell.
Reactions: 2
You're right...all they can say is no. TS..You'll never know unless you ask.
Plant Tree Branch People in nature Gesture

Sky Plant Plant community Tree Natural landscape

Couple snaps of me and my Mrs , taking it all in , shed hunting , tracking , checking out rubs from last yr and checking couple trail cams , even our Dachshund , joined in traveling in his back pack , Was great day just getting away .
See less See more
Reactions: 2
Great to see, Walter! That's what life is about.
Plant Plant community Natural landscape Twig Wood

Plant Sky Natural landscape Twig Trunk

Plant Natural landscape Wood Branch Tree

A Mothers Day Hike ,
off for a drive out thru Route 4 from Sydney To Ben EIon Provincial Park , gate still closed over , parked off to the side and unloaded our 4 legged side kicks , who were more than happy to accompany us today thru the Oaks and Maples And Rock Elm trees still very bare and slowly showing some buds despite frosty nights still here on the Cape , winds were calm on lower level of the Hike up the incline of rock outcrops and exposed root systems . Lots of very dry leaves from last fall , uneaten Acorns still very abundant .

As we hiked up the heavier winds and showers made us aware the cooler spring is not finished yet with us , our two companions handled the steeper inclines with easy almost trying race each other to the top on to stop every 30-50 ft sniffing and catching the smells carried thru the winds making it a challenge to try keep them moving . Still we stopped to take in the various views thru the Hardwoods and take a breath of fresh air ourselves and cleanse our own senses and minds .

The odd Squirrel really sent the boys into high alert and watching Blaze take point on his own with no formal training yet shows great promise , the climb is quite rugged , but reviving of ones soul and mind , takes about 40 min to reach the summit where a bench awaits you to enjoy the excellent views of t he Bras Dor from the Ben Eion side to the North side East Bay / Islandview side . Taking the chance to view all the hidden coves along private property , sharing with my Mrs. to show the Various coves we fish when we take the boat along the coast line or walk in to deep water coves enjoying the scenery , really just tells you do not take anything for granted in life and enjoy it to the fullest of your ability . Some pics of a Great afternoon of Hiking f
Cloud Water Sky Plant community Ecoregion

Cloud Water Sky Plant Natural landscape

Cloud Sky Water Plant Natural landscape

Water Dog Sky Plant Cloud

Jeans Plant Sky Table Tree

Water Cloud Plant Ecoregion Sky
See less See more
Reactions: 4
There are definitely a lot worse ways to spend a day, that's for sure!
That little creek bed by the sign looks dry, is it usually or did you guys just have a dry year up there?
There are definitely a lot worse ways to spend a day, that's for sure!
That little creek bed by the sign looks dry, is it usually or did you guys just have a dry year up there?
Still a bit of water moving thru that creek bed , heavy rains will flood it to deeper depths from run offs , the reason why it looks dry .
21 - 36 of 36 Posts