Nova Scotia Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I guess it's just s sign of the times, but after having unwanted visitors twice ( that I know of ) this past deer season , I started to search online to see what other people were doing about this problem .

I came across this product : https://treestanddefender.com/

I contacted the owner ( a one man operation) Tony Young .

A super nice guy to deal with and really helpful.

He shipped it FedEx and I had it in five business days . Exchange rate , shipping and duties was the only bad part of the deal.

It comes with a heavy duty Master weatherproof padlock , two keys and a key chain.

After I got it , the ladder stand was locked when I wasn't hunting out of it .

No more problems.

I realize this may not be for everybody , but it worked for me so far and I thought I'd pass the info. along hoping it will help somebody that had the same problem.

0423fb96-ec95-461e-9009-048488b2ff34-ori

5afbfd4f-f2d6-45b1-93eb-b2a4c2b641de-ori

·
Registered
14,910 Posts
On your or private land??

My two ladder stands are as old as I am Oscar?? models I think

I would chain and lock the top section to the tree with a american lock 700 and had quick disconnect pins on the bottom sections so would take two home with me when we left

They can shoot the lock all they want the 700 will take it so those guys would cut the tree down :( on me

Cheers

FyMmSU6.jpg

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
I've been doing this for yrs , with heavy sheet of metal bolted to my ladder and pad locked , figured it was matter if time b4 someone marketed it for profit . Only down side is they will shoot the lock off if really want to get up there.

My stand has double pad locks with large eye bolts matching up on the door and door frame , they tried shooting one the locks off couple yrs ago but never got far with that . As I was up the cottage that day and heard the shots .

·
Administrator
10,319 Posts
Why is all this chit hapening now ?? Was never like that 20 yrs ago.

Seems respect and common sense ain't so common any more !!!

I don't know...there's...something about "some" of the new heads down thumbs up generation ...the sense of entitlement seems to be at their forefront !

·
Registered
14,910 Posts
Why is all this chit hapening now ?? Was never like that 20 yrs ago.

Seems respect and common sense ain't so common any more !!!

I don't know...there's...something about "some" of the new heads down thumbs up generation ...the sense of entitlement seems to be at their forefront !
Private land no. Public is sure was here
sad.png
but as you say way worse now

I remember going back to the house for a cup of tea at dinner time with the lady who owned the property next to the crown land I had my stand on to come back to find a dude all nested in for the night with even my harness on

I said WTF are you doing in my stand. I don't see your f'n name on it he says

Well get down and look under the seat and it is there

He did and slowly left

Cheers

·
Registered
14,910 Posts
Private land.

Road is gated and stand is 1 km from the nearest main road.

My ladder is also chained and locked to the tree also.

None of this is bullet proof ( pardon the pun lol.) , but will discourage the laziest ones .

Another guy that hunts the property had his new ground blind stole last year .

I usually " double camera " my set ups as well.
Cool. Since it will be just a matter of time before some idiot gets pissed and cuts the tree down

On private you should have some recourse with your cameras

Cheers

·
Registered
261 Posts
that board on the steps only stop you old farts that cant climb like a monkey. i could climb past that, not that i would. i find a stand when walking i pin it in my gps and give a bit of distance for the other person and for not getting myself shot by some moron in the woods with white tail fever.

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
There's a new generation of "hunters, Outdoorsmen/women " now , lots see it as they can just do what ever they want without anyone telling them different , Respect is low , self entitlement is high , now saying this , it goes back generations .

I know if guys telling me older lazy guys will hunt anywhere they can find someone else's hard work that's already set up , these same guys have passed it down to the younger , they know nothing else than to do the same and show no respect .

It's same with fishing season , I've seen myself or hear it from others , they set up in a sheltered cove or off mouth of a River or Brook and there a ton of open area to rush and someone else needs be shoulder to shoulder next to ya . Why you say ? It's jealousy , disrespect AND PURE LACK OF COMMON SENSE !

·
Registered
6,509 Posts
If you have a tree stand on public land it's pretty much open house for everyone and anyone. Then even on private land if it's woodland by defininition it's basically the same,open house. THATS THE LAW whether we like it or not.
Never seen anyone ( except my own crew) in any of my tree stands but that's because there is no ladder, we climb the tree, although sometimes I use the odd screw in step. Plus the seat is usually just a piece of 2x6 tied ( not nailed ) to branches in the tree. Chain saws don't like nails! The screw in steps get removed every year at the end of the season. NO cutting shooting lanes either unless I have permission from the land owner,on public land NO CUTTING PERIOD!

If you've hunted much over the last 20-30 years or even been on this site for a while and read the threads on here it's easy to deduct that ethics have pretty much disappeared. I was taught if you go to hunt somewhere and someone else is already there GO SOMEWHERE ELSE! RESPECT OTHERS. But today MOST don't.

NOW pop up blinds are a different story. Quite often passerby's like to take them for a walk and pop them up elsewhere. It seems that other people's equiptment,tents,cameras etc belong to whoever finds them. So GET OFF THE MAIN DRAG and woods roads and trails and get out of sight. You'll have fewer problems and be a lot safer.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
If you have a tree stand on public land it's pretty much open house for everyone and anyone. Then even on private land if it's woodland by defininition it's basically the same,open house. THATS THE LAW whether we like it or not.
My tree stand on my private land is not "open house". Yes people can hunt, berry pick, hike or arse pick all they want but they are not entitled to use my ladder stand and bench covered seat (similar to the one Samsquash posted).

·
Administrator
10,319 Posts
Never seen anyone ( except my own crew) in any of my tree stands but that's because there is no ladder, we climb the tree, although sometimes I use the odd screw in step. Plus the seat is usually just a piece of 2x6 tied ( not nailed ) to branches in the tree. Chain saws don't like nails! The screw in steps get removed every year at the end of the season. NO cutting shooting lanes either unless I have permission from the land owner,on public land NO CUTTING PERIOD!

If you've hunted much over the last 20-30 years or even been on this site for a while and read the threads on here it's easy to deduct that ethics have pretty much disappeared. I was taught if you go to hunt somewhere and someone else is already there GO SOMEWHERE ELSE! RESPECT OTHERS. But today MOST don't.

NOW pop up blinds are a different story. Quite often passerby's like to take them for a walk and pop them up elsewhere. It seems that other people's equiptment,tents,cameras etc belong to whoever finds them. So GET OFF THE MAIN DRAG and woods roads and trails and get out of sight. You'll have fewer problems and be a lot safer.
you must be the saint of the woodlands
ph34r.png
ph34r.png

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
My tree stand on my private land is not "open house". Yes people can hunt, berry pick, hike or arse pick all they want but they are not entitled to use my ladder stand and bench covered seat (similar to the one Samsquash posted).
X2 >Pete

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
You gotta do everything to hide your chitt today, cause if it's not it's going for a ride to another destination, reporting this stuff does nothing , I had couple traps stolen thus year , and coming out I see a trail cam set up only 20 yrds from the road overlooking a bait set up , didn't take long figure out who took the traps and fur in them, it was dealt with in a way that arse pick will never road hunt or touch something doesn't belong to them .

Oh yes got the two traps back , his trail cam was left where it was cause it was my way of catching the culprit , set up my own to catch this young guy hunting from his truck from the road and no orange , doesn't take long to catch a poacher at their own game .

As for those who feel entitled to using other people stands , bait sites , or private land for that matter it's hard to stay in top of them but you need get off the well traveled areas and hide once in there . As well as try your best not to leave a trail or travel signs going in or out .

I love hiding a trail cam in places most won't even think they are to catch those who are going in snooping around !

·
Registered
64 Posts
It seems that folk's property,bought with hard earned money or built with blood and sweat,is fair game for more and more a$$h%#es every year.Between the stories on this site and what one hears in their own area it seems it's becoming a much bigger problem than in the past.I've been fairly lucky,having had very little stolen from the woods.

It's pretty sad when ,instead of mounting a trail cam to check for game,you have to mount several more to keep an eye on that camera,treestand,camp etc.As has been pointed out several times on this site,these dicks have to be dealt with in ever increasingly innovative ways.In other words find a way to do it and keep yourself out of trouble.Sometimes it takes some thought and a lot of patience but with some imagination you can usually find a way to deal with the idiots and at least make yourself feel better.

Funny thing here lately with all this talk of things missing,(stolen),I haven't heard from the guy who,in times past,always blamed the person who had his property stolen.HMMMM.I remember posting about having my generator stolen from MY LAND and this fellow pointed out,in a post,that it was my fault as I left the machine there,on MY PROPERTY,and didn't do enough to prevent it being stolen.

I'm glad to see that some folks here have found ways to deal with the"perps"and didn't get in chit themselves.It's a shame but that's what it has had to come to.

·
Registered
6,509 Posts
Technically yes but a lot of guys will climb up anyway or sit in your ground blind etc etc. Many believe their entitled to do whatever they please.

·
Registered
6,509 Posts
you must be the saint of the woodlands :ph34r: :ph34r:
I told ya all that I am a saint, not just of the woods either!

I try my best to do my part and to respect the land, the landowner and other hunters. The only ones I ever have a problem with is in the other hunter category. I always give people the benefit of the doubt. Unfortunately at times other hunters do things they shouldn't ,then there is usually some kind of domino effect.

·
Registered
6,509 Posts
It seems that folk's property,bought with hard earned money or built with blood and sweat,is fair game for more and more a$$h%#es every year.Between the stories on this site and what one hears in their own area it seems it's becoming a much bigger problem than in the past.I've been fairly lucky,having had very little stolen from the woods.
It's pretty sad when ,instead of mounting a trail cam to check for game,you have to mount several more to keep an eye on that camera,treestand,camp etc.As has been pointed out several times on this site,these dicks have to be dealt with in ever increasingly innovative ways.In other words find a way to do it and keep yourself out of trouble.Sometimes it takes some thought and a lot of patience but with some imagination you can usually find a way to deal with the idiots and at least make yourself feel better.
Funny thing here lately with all this talk of things missing,(stolen),I haven't heard from the guy who,in times past,always blamed the person who had his property stolen.HMMMM.I remember posting about having my generator stolen from MY LAND and this fellow pointed out,in a post,that it was my fault as I left the machine there,on MY PROPERTY,and didn't do enough to prevent it being stolen.
I'm glad to see that some folks here have found ways to deal with the"perps"and didn't get in chit themselves.It's a shame but that's what it has had to come to.
That's laughable!!! Don't think I ever saw that thread. There was a time you could leave anything and everything out, even leave your doors unlocked and not have to worry about things walking away. Times sure have changed.

·
Registered
6,509 Posts
One area I hunt got bad for awhile, tree stands and bait piles sabotaged, people stealing game from trap lines even stealing the traps. People stealing stuff and hunting posted cultivated land etc. There are quite a few hunters in that area and we all got fed up. The crooked locals got straightened out and the crooked outsiders were asked to move along. Now everyone looks out for everyone else and their property. Things have been really good there the last 5-6 yrs now. If people work together quite often everything goes smooth. Almost like it was 40 years ago!

·
Registered
6,509 Posts
NO you forget where his stands are in the sub divisions LOL
Sorry 3D I had to :)
No stand here I use a nice ground blind. MY house!!! Bow only tho and I have to wait for the deer to set off the sensor lights. When it's nice out I sit on the back deck when it's cold or rainy or snowing I out the back windows!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts