Nova Scotia Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just wanted to reach out to see how folks were making out with their hunting in these two zones. I've been hunting down here with the same group of guys (4 of us) for going on our 3rd year, and we have yet to find success. We have seen a doe, and bear, and have been eating tag soup for the three of us. It seems the doe tags given out for these area's are always low, which gives me the perception that the population isn't very strong. We have seen deer on the cameras, but once we get into the woods, the deer lay low. So just hoping and wonder there is success in these zones.

Thanks,

Scott

·
Registered
938 Posts
Zone 104 has deer but they are in pockets , you have to get off the roads and into the woods to find them , 105 there are no doe tags as it is either or hunting and there again you need to get off the roads and into the brush and woods . Some of the deer do come out on field edges but not usually till just at dark and they tend to get back in the cover soon after day light.

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
105 and 104 are side by each, however two totally different Deer areas. 105 has no tags required this year, meaning anything goes, while 104 had 400 antlerless tag issued. 105 is primarily in farmland country, agricultural or along the BOF. Most of it requires permission to hunt. It is highly populated with hunters in certain spots claiming their territory on other peoples land. 104 is mostly woodland (not all however) runs through the South Mountain area. Many areas within it are void of Deer. It has been my Deer Hunting area since the 70's, however I refuse to shoot a deer in that area any longer. Scouting is required in that area to locate a few Deer. Even 105 is showing signs of Deer decline, least on the land I own and in the general area. 104 is a sad state compared to what it was 25 years ago. Forestry, Bears, Coyotes all play a part. Does this answer your question?

Edit: there are many stories here in 105 about hunters. I own land here. There is a stretch on the 101. about 7-8 Kms where there are 25-30 stands set up. Only one that I know of has permission. The fighting amongst some Hunters is interesting, their claim to ownership of these sites is crazy. Most that hunt here are come from away folks. My bud owns land here too. Last year he discovered a stand on his Agricultural land, looking straight across to Homes. He cut it down, He was on the war path to get the guy that put it there. He was going to the landowner whom was allowing this guy to access his land through his. No idea what happened after this, I left the scene. My bud is no one to screw with...It is crasy here, all for a couple boxes of deer meat.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Been hunting 104 for years. My father started hunting it in the 90s. The deer were so plentiful back then all they had to do was go for a walk and they’d get one. The best year in the last 10 years was around 2013 for us, 3 deer on the last weekend due to a freak snow storm. But unfortunately lately as MWO said, this zone is in a sad state. The deer that are there are quite big though, so if you get one it will be good eating! The last 3 years though I have been watching a doe who consistently has 2 fawns each year, the first two I know for sure are full grown now, I’m not sure about the others. Hoping for a rebound in this zone soon before another bad winter comes along.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
MWO and WoodsMaster, you are both describing what we are seeing. About two years ago I had a doe in my sites, and didn't pull the trigger. I didn't have a tag, but my buddy did, and just had the thought in my head, that the has to be a buck close by, and doe make bucks, and she was a bit small, so I wanted to leave her to also populate the area. The only thing I have seen since that day is a bear, eating the bait, and with no beer tag, I didn't shoot that either. My buddies have gotten numerous deer on their cameras, but not a lot of bucks. We were hoping for a rebound as well, but haven't seen any evidence of it. With such a large area of land (104), and with Keji so close by, we figured the population would be very healthy, as they have the park for protection, but nothing. With 105 having a no tag hunt, you would think those deer would naturally spread out and migrate, but perhaps the food situation in 104 isn't as good, so they stay there. We all of stands, and we don't do a lot of tracking in the woods for deer. Perhaps I have to change my strategy, and walk through the woods, and see what if I can trip over one. I think we have not tried that because of the bear situation, and really don't want to trip over one of those.

·
Registered
4,890 Posts
MWO and WoodsMaster, you are both describing what we are seeing. About two years ago I had a doe in my sites, and didn't pull the trigger. I didn't have a tag, but my buddy did, and just had the thought in my head, that the has to be a buck close by, and doe make bucks, and she was a bit small, so I wanted to leave her to also populate the area. The only thing I have seen since that day is a bear, eating the bait, and with no beer tag, I didn't shoot that either. My buddies have gotten numerous deer on their cameras, but not a lot of bucks. We were hoping for a rebound as well, but haven't seen any evidence of it. With such a large area of land (104), and with Keji so close by, we figured the population would be very healthy, as they have the park for protection, but nothing. With 105 having a no tag hunt, you would think those deer would naturally spread out and migrate, but perhaps the food situation in 104 isn't as good, so they stay there. We all of stands, and we don't do a lot of tracking in the woods for deer. Perhaps I have to change my strategy, and walk through the woods, and see what if I can trip over one. I think we have not tried that because of the bear situation, and really don't want to trip over one of those.
I hunt both, and do not shoot does. I leave the woods each year thinking I am doing good but each year there seems to be less and less. I have been out every day since muzzle loader, sometimes both early morning and evening or evening. Several hours a day consumed with three baited stands. This year so far is one of the worst. I have seen repeatedly one doe with a tumor like mass on her head, one doe with an older calve, one tiny spike horn. That's a 20 klm jaunt between stands, and it is not looking good. A lot of time spent looking at nothing after living here 20 some years, I have checked out many spots and there is very little sign. Why 105 is both sexes has baffled me for many years. I keep going because I can't get it out of me. The woods this time of year is beautiful. I have has some crazy interaction with other animals this year that has made it worth while.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey Thunderstick, I hear you. As much as the tag soup taste awful, we keep going back. Mostly for the same stories, card games, and laughs we have just hanging out. Perhaps some game management with the bears and coyotes might help the situation get better, not sure, but with the denseness of the population being what it is, it might help.

·
Registered
938 Posts
Thunderstick the way it has been explained to me as to why we have either sex deer hunting in zone 105 is due to the number of deer car accidents . As well as some of the farming community
complaining about deer damage to their vine yards and blue berry fields. The deer herd is way down from what it use to be in both zones and it doesn't look like it will get much better in the near future with the land clearing for agriculture and the clear cutting on the mountains. A lot of areas we use to hunt cannot be hunted now because of new housing.

·
Registered
7,164 Posts
Lots of deer in 105 Avon Valley golf course is full of them. Relatives in Falmouth property goes from main drag back to bog road deer in their fields all the time. Ask employees at Masons, they often get nuisance tags for deer. Nursery up there begging people to come shoot the deer! Berwick lots of deer.
Other end along the shore ( Annapolis area) tons of deer.
Don't hunt 104 a lot, not sure of the zone but lots around Sherwood area and the forties,New Ross,all good areas.
103- tons of deer!
Scouting is the key to continued long term success. Never restrict yourself to one area, Nova Scotia has lots of good hunting.

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Lots of deer in 105 Avon Valley golf course is full of them. Relatives in Falmouth property goes from main drag back to bog road deer in their fields all the time. Ask employees at Masons, they often get nuisance tags for deer. Nursery up there begging people to come shoot the deer! Berwick lots of deer.
Don't hunt 104 a lot, not sure of the zone but lots around Sherwood area and the forties,New Ross,all good areas.
103- tons of deer!
Scouting is the key to continued long term success. Never restrict yourself to one area, Nova Scotia has lots of good hunting.
Golf Course and Bog road are in 104, not 105 . The 101 is the divider of the zones in that area. Yes there are a dozen deer on the golf course, no question, kind of the same deal as with Truro and HRM, get out of those protected places, no more Deer. Not sure of the Nursery you speak, Masons is in Three Mile Plains, not sure of the zone there, Baldwin's Nursery has theirs fenced off, The other in Falmouth (Kochinoff) (SP) is to close to Homes for Rifle plus would be the same deer that live on the Golf Course and hit the only field (farm) on the Little Bog (which is posted land). They travel back and forth, getting hit by cars from time to time or being shot from the road at the 19th hole. (happened last fall) Go back on the Mines, which was the Walton Woods road equal 25 years ago..Void of deer. I hunt birds on it daily, when I find deer tracks I get excited. To see another vehicle out there is rare as well, compared to 25 years ago, Deer season would see 100 plus cars daily. Go up Grey Mountain, off the Bog road, no deer to speak of. New Ross area is also lacking deer, big time. Some see a few deer in a field and conclude that there are lots of Deer. Most around here know how scares Deer are now in this area, many have moved on to other locations, other zones. Some have stopped Hunting deer entirerly. It is the same here as most places now, the deer are very Urban, living close to homes, town, golf courses etc, step back in the woods, presto, no Deer. If you are a woods Hunter, a lot of work is required in these parts to find Deer, if you sit at the edge of a field, homes all around, over a bait pile, one of those dozen tame deer might make an appearance, you might luck in. However as you mention scouting can locate pockets, that is all you will find, least compared to what it was. I kept my thoughts to 104/105 as that was what the Op was inquiring about. Those that once Hunted the South Mountain (104) have moved on as a result of a major Deer decline.

·
Registered
4,890 Posts
103- tons of deer!
Now that's a lot of deer, tons of them. I know a lot of hunting folks that have had hunting camps and all the way from Berwick to Annapolis Royal very poor this year and last. Many life long hunters got skunked last year. Actually not many posts for deer taken when you consider archery, muzzle, now rifle. No need for me to head down in around the golf courses or subdivisions for a deer, that's what feeds the anti's. Trouble waiting to happen. One can see that 104 is not both sexes so there is not tons of deer. 105 is no different it to has been shut down for both sexes. There are so few trees left I think I can see Digby from Greenwood. People seem to think that lots of deer damaging crops or golf courses or vineyards is lots of deer, in many cases its the last deer as the woods disappear and the coyotes have eaten the rest. Not a good way to guess deer numbers. Sad part is down this way some of these complaining of crop damage have had the deer numbers drastically reduced by DNR.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Oh don’t even get me started on the bears! We had a bear 2 years ago sit on our apple pile for 2 days straight (did not leave) and just eat, s**t and puke all over the place until all 100lbs of apples were gone. I’m not real interested in shooting them but man do they ever make a mess!

·
Registered
665 Posts
I'm in 107 and had 2 sites messed up by bear this last week. There were lots of deer tending our apple tree bait site and food plots. One site on Sat behind the house they put a stand 500y away and decided to fire 10 shoots in a row. then after dark one more ,Makes us nervous they fire at a angle into the woods but they are up hill and in a open field 600ys away to mine and a another house. Messed up hunting there for some time.All other stands went quite also. This happen every year when regular season first opens up with a influx of people and off road bikes.Last week, I seen 3 deer nothing, so far this week, Busted going into one site today at 7:15am, never smelled or seen me, just me walking thru the swamp to the tree stand. Also its been very warm. Hopefully the rut will start after the monsoons this weekend.
blink.png
I can't complain, I scored the second day of muzzle loader so I have meat in the freezer also pepperoni, 28 1lb packs.
biggrin.png

·
Registered
7,164 Posts
MWO- someone actually shot at a deer by Avon golf club - from the road! Holy crap. Was thinking Baldwin's nursery I think I was there two yrs ago ( maybe longer, time slips away on me lol) no fence and the owners almost begged to to come bow hunt but I never did.
Yes likely pockets in many areas. Have had lots of success off hingley rd area, crazy number if roads through there but we always see deer in where we go there. Seems many areas have had big decline in deer population while other areas dont seem to suffer.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Some people are just that stupid. But it doesnt take much to pass the pal or hunter safety test. The few places I go I have measured out the legal distances from homes and like to even be on the other sides of hills. I wouldn't set up a shooting lane towards homes even outside legal distances. We walked into the lake on the back my property only to have some moron with dog and gun blasting away with a 22 on a Sunday. I was walking some of the trail near the lake and my wife and daughter where heading back down the road. So luckily they where over the hill on the back side. I decided to call it a day as I didn't want to get shot by some idiot that went to Beaver bank and rode into the woods and started shooting in who knows what direction.

·
Registered
7,164 Posts
Thunderstick- there are lots of deer where I hunt in Berwick. There are also lots on my in laws property and surrounding areas down around Annapolis.You mentioned Digby,the brother in law has a camp way back in the woods there. Four regulars hunt there and always get their deer,but that's not 104 or 105. 105 is buck or doe,no antlerless tag required.
But some areas in 105 have very low population.
DNR will only issue nuisance tags if deer numbers wattant it, as Pete Luckett found out!

·
Registered
4,890 Posts
Thunderstick- there are lots of deer where I hunt in Berwick. There are also lots on my in laws property and surrounding areas down around Annapolis.You mentioned Digby,the brother in law has a camp way back in the woods there. Four regulars hunt there and always get their deer,but that's not 104 or 105. 105 is buck or doe,no antlerless tag required.
But some areas in 105 have very low population.
DNR will only issue nuisance tags if deer numbers wattant it, as Pete Luckett found out!
Two areas here a few years back one a vineyard and another a farm, DNR went in and rid them of more than 30 deer, each area. I'll bet its been 10 years and these places still have nothing. Let a 5 pointer go this morning, he appears to be the only thing visiting the bait. Very small very thin I could count his ribs. Sad part is once he travels across the wrong bait pile, there will be no more visits.

·
Registered
4,890 Posts
Well looks like two more weeks of rain for this area. That must be 5-6 by now. High winds again this morning and blowing four different ways. Getting exhausting, roads are getting some what impassable as water runs down the center. Bad summer, bad fall, here's batting three for three.

·
Registered
938 Posts
A farm in Morristown had nuisance tags and used most of them so I was told . The vineyard in North Kingston had DNR remove some deer a few years back and you don't see any around there any more and as I have said the amount of clear cutting from Middleton to Aylesford plus land clearing on the valley floor has drastically affected the habitat and the deer herd in this area . In other areas there are a few deer but not like a few years past. There is a real nice herd of 8 deer in Greenwood back of CT and Dwight Ross School area two nice bucks of which one is real big body and rack .

·
Registered
4,890 Posts
A farm in Morristown had nuisance tags and used most of them so I was told . The vineyard in North Kingston had DNR remove some deer a few years back and you don't see any around there any more and as I have said the amount of clear cutting from Middleton to Aylesford plus land clearing on the valley floor has drastically affected the habitat and the deer herd in this area . In other areas there are a few deer but not like a few years past. There is a real nice herd of 8 deer in Greenwood back of CT and Dwight Ross School area two nice bucks of which one is real big body and rack .
Yes I have stopped at River Ridge entrance a couple evenings coming back from hunting over the years to let them all run across. Same at Kingston golf course, a big guy stands in the field every second day in front of Gouchers farm market. He is there when I am buying bait. Priceless. Hunters are continuously trying to shoot them by the highway, causing lands to be posted, roads removed to stop access. Pretty crazy but this is where and what is left of the deer herd.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.