Nova Scotia Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
Now people can see what cougars really look like and stop claiming they see them in the wild in NS.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Beautiful animals.

Here's a story for you. When I was about 13 a friend and I build a small log cabin about a 100 metres behind our house. The cabin was well into the forest. We lived in Riverview across the river from Moncton and right up against the woods (you could have gone all the way to Fundy Park only crossing maybe 10 gravel roads and a couple farm fields). We soon lost interest in the cabin but a year or two later my younger brother and his friend were back there looking around or throwing;) out spoiled dog food next to it.
One day they saw a big cat but didn't say anything about it. The next day they were back but, with our dog this time. One of them got up on the roof (about 5 or so feet off the ground and looked down over the opposite side of the cabin. There was the cougar which snarled at them but ran off and up a tree about 30 feet away when the dog chased it. They ran back to the house and got my mother. She went back with them expecting a big house cat. There, treed about 20 feet up a 6 inch poplar was the full grown cougar. Tail as long as its body. She was afraid the cat would come down and kill the dog so she grabbed dog and kids, ran back to the house and called Dad and DNR. No pictures unfortunately so many would say it never happened. But, both my brother and mother described it identically, and my mother, who was not prone to foolishness or bouts of imagination, identified it from a picture of a cougar/puma. DNR said, of course, that they were crazy and didn't see a cougar. Not good for their business model I guess. This was either 1969 or 1970. That's years before they finally admitted cougars lived in Fundy Park.

·
Registered
6,696 Posts
Be a long walk from Riverview to Fundy National Park!
Spent a lot of time at Fundy mostly on the golf course, the family went there camping for two weeks every year for 10-11 yrs. Usually wound up in the overflow up top. Lots of critters there, raccoons,bears ,deer. Lots of deer on the golf course too, it use to be $12 for a day pass,play all you want. I’d be standing on the first tee waiting for “can see” and play til “ can’t see” usually had two rounds in before they even opened up in the morning! Never saw any cougars tho.

·
Administrator
10,478 Posts
Used to always be a few cougars in the Cape...found a few myself at be Ashbee Legion and the old Capri Club

·
Registered
5,402 Posts
Used to always be a few cougars in the Cape...found a few myself at be Ashbee Legion and the old Capri Club
They moved to the swinging tit Kev. They're so old now, we call em sabre tooth tigers lol!

·
Administrator
10,478 Posts
🤣🤣🤣

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
They claim there are no cougars in NS ... but they are still mentioned in the Hunters handbook. Why are they protected in NS if there are none here ????

·
Registered
15,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
They moved to the swinging tit Kev. They're so old now, we call em sabre tooth tigers lol!
Sweet Jesus now there is a name from the past. Been there a few times
Help me here was that also called the gentle mens club
Cheers

·
Registered
104 Posts
I follow a lot of random NS hunter/fishers/outdoors people on Instagram that I don't know. This year one posted a trailcam pic, claiming to be in Lunenburg, of what I think is undeniably a Cougar. I shot the guy a message and he seemed pretty legit. He said he tried contacting DNR but nobody would even look at his pic. Let me see if I can go find it.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
View attachment 97360 View attachment 97361

He emailed me the pic as well as a deer in same spot for size comparison.
Looks like a House Cat, face ect. It appears larger then it is because it is very cose to the Cam, the flash is aluminating off the Cat..Saw some other PIC this XMAS of a Cougar on a Cam in NL. It was a Cougar no question. Then the guy admitted it was a PIC from out west, he was just looking for attention.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Looks like a House Cat, face ect. Saw some other PIC this XMAS ofa Cougar on a Cam in NL. It was a Cougar no question. Then the guy admitted it was a PIC from out west, he was just looking for attention.
I was kinda skeptical at first thinking it could easily be from anywhere but after a short convo with the gentleman I'm gonna believe him. Looks way to big to be a house cat in my opinion.

·
Registered
5,402 Posts
Definitely a house cat close to camera.

·
Registered
15,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
10 years ago a member here posted this when we beat this to death and I still think he is bang on. he went by the handle trapper gary :)

I know people really want to believe there are cougars .

But did any one ever think what might happen if they find one?

Would they shut down trapping and hunting in that area until a survivial plan was completed?

Would we have a greater influx of nature , conservation groups all wanting to get in on the disccovery?

Would this rewrite our provincial history, causing pause while the investigation continous?

What about forestry ?

Planning for agriculture?

Planning for exiting trails and parks?

·
Registered
146 Posts
Yes, there appear to be markings on the cat's side like you would see with a house cat. Given the camera flash on the cat it appears to be fairly close to the camera. So probably just a big old tom cat.

I read somewhere a couple months or so ago that in spite of there being "sightings" of cougars (the feline kind for all you jokers out there) DNR says there has never been scat, tracks, road kill or cougar DNA found in the province. DNR's opinion/conclusion is therefore that IF they were here, someone somewhere would find some scat, shoot one, trap one or one would have been hit by a car by now. I can disagree with the hit by a car because while they exist in New Brunswick they are obviously rare and one has NEVER been reported kill by a vehicle to my knowledge. But, it is hard to imagine with all the trail cameras out there every day in the province that someone would not have gotten a good definitive picture of one by now if there were any here.

·
Registered
5,402 Posts
Sweet Jesus now there is a name from the past. Been there a few times
Help me here was that also called the gentle mens club
Cheers
Not sure Joe. I may have heard it called that before.

·
Registered
15,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
DNR is full of it
They get over 30 sightings a year for many years. Can they all be BS
I know what was being seen back in the highlands in the 80's was real and to this day my bud will sware what he seen and he knows the difference and also did casts of the foot prints and they fluffed off his casts as nothing
I remember they did the same with a taxidermist with casts
See if I can find his name

1 - 20 of 21 Posts