Nova Scotia Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

· Registered
18,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
A long shot but was wondering if some old appliance repair men would be here that may have one of these in any condition in a box forgotten about some where
We run a vintage may tag washer model LAS9400 that is an old beast and yes I have bought the mrs two new washers over the years and both she hated and wanted this old girl fixed and I did and the new ones resold
It even has a name wilomina she put on it :) The timer is part number 207376 and a wirl pool or speed queen is the same. She is 38 years old and yes Joe had parts stashed but clearly not enough. Tried to buy one all over canada and the US and so far nothing
If I have to I will try to take it apart and build up all the contacts one by one since it is worth it but that is my last resort
Mrs says nothing does a wash like her old girl
Thanks for looking
Auto part Machine Font Metal Electronics accessory

· Registered
1,159 Posts
Now we are going down memory lane. When I was around fifteen take a year or two either way… approximately fifty years ago my mom called the Maytag Repair Man to fix either her washer or dryer. He came out of the basement and told my mom, “I saved you the cost of a new part. I just soldered up the contact points on the timer and it should last you awhile”. I think she sold those machines with the house so the repair lasted a fair amount of time.

· Registered
18,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Now we are going down memory lane. When I was around fifteen take a year or two either way… approximately fifty years ago my mom called the Maytag Repair Man to fix either her washer or dryer. He came out of the basement and told my mom, “I saved you the cost of a new part. I just soldered up the contact points on the timer and it should last you awhile”. I think she sold those machines with the house so the repair lasted a fair amount of time.
Thanks that is good to hear I have soldered points but not as many as would be in this timer and in nothing used like the mrs uses this washer christ she must still do three loads a day and no small kids here . The issue is if the dam thing will split apart to get at them that I have not looked at it yet Talked to a friend who tells me another guy I know that has a small scrap yard for car in the woods takes most of the old washers in the area so going to see him also today in case I may fluke something in the woods
Take care

· Registered
18,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Well old wilomina lives. For no idea how long but did 4 loads of wash so far today
What a hateful job building those points all up and then shaping and filing them down to get nice contact with out bending the arms had to be 9 sets or more :( getting back together was sweet also NOT made to come a part for sure. Plus must be 20 years since I used that old soldering gun and have three burned fingers to show for that lack of experience with it
Oh well mama will be happy for a bit but I still have to find another timer First woods trip today found the same washer and took what was left but no timer but got a line on another place to go with another load in the woods out in birch grove so here is hoping

· Registered
18,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Well, the old girl is still washing so the contact soldering is doing Ok so far
Talk about looking for chicken teeth trying to find this 38 year old timer and as you guys know did I wear old google out and the internet for two days and found two state side on e-bay and both won't ship to canada
In one of my searches did find a two year old listing of a guy In Alberta that had a new pump for mine and said he was also parting out an old washer but no contact info since on some buy and sell site and way too old the listing
So off I go on my mission to find this dude and I found a phone number and a first name could not believe what the internet saves on us what
we post it is scary

So I said WTF I would try to call me being me so I did a dude answered in Alberta and I said wondering if you may still have that old maytag model la9400 washer for parts The phone went dead next it was who are you and why are you calling me I have nothing listed for sale so told him about the old listing and it blew him away to think I tracked him down. Man he said I thought I was being watched I almost choked laughing and said what you see drones also :p:p

Then he says yes I am that dude and in fact still have the new pump it never sold and that washer is still in the shed less the gearbox which sold I said well I will take that new pump and every piece of it less the tin if you are willing to strip and ship but you have to ship. To where nova scotia na not interested in that well what if I pay say 125 shipping plus what you want for the parts which will more than cover it plus your time . The tone changes and yep I am retired and can do that
So long story short I have a timer coming and a 45 pound box of 38 year old washer parts motor included which is like 260 new all because I am the google MASTER:p
You guys can keep laughing at me all you like but man it is a powerful tool in the right hands like MINE :p:pand saved the mrs old washer so she is happy happy happy
Cheers

· Registered
419 Posts
Doesn't matter right now I will take every penny someone gives me since I cannot fix inflation
Well considering it was the government who caused it lol. I see what you’re saying, but it’s gonna make everything worse. What we get when we got a finance minister that studied Russian literature and was a journalist as a career path. Plus dough boy drama teacher. “Ummm, ahhhh, ahh, Canadians must do better”

· Registered
18,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well considering it was the government who caused it lol. I see what you’re saying, but it’s gonna make everything worse. What we get when we got a finance minister that studied Russian literature and was a journalist as a career path. Plus dough boy drama teacher. “Ummm, ahhhh, ahh, Canadians must do better”
Dude I live for today and will deal with worse if it happens and if I get there and right now that helps as will the increase to old age and ccp to many trying to feed them selves and keep heat on and the government is only a part of the inflation problem here since it is global

· Registered
419 Posts
Dude I live for today and will deal with worse if it happens and if I get there and right now that helps as will the increase to old age and ccp to many trying to feed them selves and keep heat on and the government is only a part of the inflation problem here since it is global
I know I’m saying I don’t blame you . I just wish the government understood basic economics.

· Registered
3,789 Posts
What kind of government pension are you on Joe ???? You’re not on OAS, or CPP … so disability ????? You seem to be very active and can out work most of us, so you can’t be on disability ???

· Registered
18,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
What kind of government pension are you on Joe ???? You’re not on OAS, or CPP … so disability ????? You seem to be very active and can out work most of us, so you can’t be on disability ???
I am as active as I can be and encouraged by my docs to do as much as I can physically or I would be locked up by now thinking about my condition and where I am heading every day Try living with a rare form of pancreas cancer That you know is killing you slowly per all studies ( that totally screws your digestion and what your body absorbs) and keeping your head on straight dr buckmark which I have done well for 18 years now they say their words not mine and 16 years more than they originally gave me I may add. My pensions are my business but you seem to forget I worked for the federal government and we had some options when I left them plus my brother and I had a business since 85 which is his since I got sick in 2005 so did some investing years ago which now looks like a bad move but maybe not Time will tell

· Registered
3,789 Posts
I was just curious Joe … don’t blow a gasket. You of all people should be drawing your CPP. According to you … you are on borrowed time.… so one would think that you should have started drawing it at 60. ….. which then leads me to believe, that you are drawing CPP disability. But like you said … none of my business.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts