Nova Scotia Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at a 22-250 either in a ruger hawkeye or a remington 700, but the more I read about similiar caliber rifles I dont know what to buy. I only want to use it for coyotes, where I hunt the coyotes I can take pretty long shots, lets hear your suggestions. I am willing to spend anywhere from 500 to 1800

Shane

·
Registered
5,325 Posts
I am looking at a 22-250 either in a ruger hawkeye or a remington 700, but the more I read about similiar caliber rifles I dont know what to buy. I only want to use it for coyotes, where I hunt the coyotes I can take pretty long shots, lets hear your suggestions. I am willing to spend anywhere from 500 to 1800

Shane
That savage predator package seems to have a huge following.Supposedly they are tack drivers and well within your budget.Check the savage web site.

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
Is it the caliber your not sure about or the model of rifle its self.the 22-250 is a very good cartridge with lots of hitting power and range for coyote hunting.the other caliber I would consider would be the 223 rem a couple hundred feet per second slower than the 22-250 but still very capable as a coyote rifle.now as for the rifle its self there is a couple things to consider will the rifle be a walking calling rifle or a rifle you would use over a bait site with little walking involved.I have a 700 rem 26" heavy barrel in 22-250 nice rifle but it certainly is not a walking calling rifle at 9lbs plus with scope installed.and I also find it to be really muzzle heavy for off hand shooting.just a couple things to think about and hopefully helps you make a decission.
Nomads suggestion above is a good one in the walking calling rifle.

·
Administrator
10,106 Posts
Ross has the exact same one up there...a used Savage Predator package. Comes with a bipod and a 6-18x50 scope....223 cal. He's askin 699 for it

·
Registered
75 Posts
Thinking athe same thing, but i decided I'm gonna go with a .243. You can get 55 grain bullets for it that have some good velocity(3900 Ft./sec) and I'll use it for deer too. It'll be a good gun for the young fella to start with!

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was hoping you were going to comment on this Kevin, the gun would mainly be used to hunt over a bait site, very little walking. I took a look at the savage package but to be honest I am not sure if I like the look of it. I would rather a wood grain. The ruger hawkeye looks really good and the rem 700 have a couple of rifles with a wood laminate stock.

·
Registered
5,325 Posts
The laminates add weight to the rifles but if that's what you want,there are a few choices.Savage has a few,tikka,remington to name a few.If you are a member of gun nutz,the exchange may be a good place to look.For the weather we get in winter ,synthetic is the catsass IMHO.Good luck.

·
Registered
113 Posts
It all comes down to personal preference, but I love the Tikka. You can get it in laminate, camo, wood, or synthetic. They come with an accuracy guarantee. They are very accurate and light, along with an adjustable trigger and a super slick bolt. I do like the .243 calibre myself for the reasons mentioned earlier. It's a good coyote calibre as well as adequate for deer and easy on women and kids that may want to hunt later.

·
Registered
898 Posts
I love the ballistics of a 22-250 for coyote hunting, but when it came time for me to purchase, I eventually went with the T/C Venture in .243. I wanted something that could be dual purpose (deer and yote). I would have highly recommended that rifle until the recent recall. Not to heavy, felt real nice against the shoulder, comfortable ergonomic grips, DEADLY accurate out of the box, and quiet to cycle. My only complaint with it would have been that the magazine could have been constructed better.

I hear great things from savage/stevens owners about the accuracy of their varmint caliber rifles. Some really like the composite stocks for cold weather and harsh terrain hunting, and some have opted to switch to the Boyd's stocks with raving reviews.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks guys, I will have to look more into this, I really like the idea of a .243 because I do have some up and coming hunters. KPR me buddy just bought the same gun and it shoots just like yours. Thanks for all the ideas.

Shane

·
Registered
898 Posts
I feel I should also add that your rifle will only be as good as the optics you mount on it. Don't cheap out on a scope...especially if you plan to do some reaching out to long ranges. A quality scope will make all the difference.

·
Administrator
10,106 Posts
Ross has the exact same one up there...a used Savage Predator package. Comes with a bipod and a 6-18x50 scope....223 cal. He's askin 699 for it
Forget this one...it's GONE...lasted all of two days on the site.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
What about a browning x bolt white goldin a .243? I know they are expensive, but are they worth it? It looks like a beautiful rifle with a walnut stock and a stainless barrel.

·
Registered
5,325 Posts
Personally(and this is just my opinion)but i've always felt browning was a tad overpriced.Not saying they're not nice guns but they aren't head and shoulders above the rest.I've heard a lot of nightmares about browning's customer service lately as well.What about a remington 700 sps varmint?

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
The 700 sps varmint are a good rifle that are accurate .heres a target I shot with mine when i first got it and was developing a load for it.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts