Nova Scotia Hunting Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Unfortunately most times I post on this site its to tell a unfortunate story or bitch. This is the latter.... hunting today down in the valley and I went to field which I have permission for. I knew of very few others had permission for it too but I went early so it thought it would be ok. Arriving at the field there was a truck I had seen there the other day and I seen a light in the dark field. Damn... someone beat me to the field, I still wanted to hunt the field so I decided since it was very early to go talk to who was in the field to see if we could cooperate on a hunt. It was only one fella and after a few "how you dos " and a quick discussion, the nice gentleman said no problem. I explained the excessive amount of decoys I had in the truck and other gear, we agreed on me adding another dozen full bodies to the spread.

Time goes by and I realize this fellow is the real deal, he has alot of experience and is a good hunter. Wicked. After about an hour or so the first flight of geese come towards us. The 2 dozen honkers locked, low and coming straight for us. They are just about to be in range, 12 birds wide and 10 yards up, then....... super flare within 60 yards!!!! What the? Blinds are good, no one is sticking out, nothing stupid is happening, so what is going on? Nothing stupid??? we didn't know yet. 2 more flocks do the same. Locked, loaded and then break off just before shooting range. There has be something wrong. I stand up to look around and there is a truck like 120 yards behind us on the dirt road in the field and there is the driver around 20 yards closer than that, staring at us. The owner of the field doesn't want anyone to drive on the road. The driver is a younger fella in camo, just standing there, looking sheepish. We are all not happy as there is someone randomly standing behind us a 100 yards or less from us in a field while hunting. He comes over and states he has been watching us for an hour and asked us if we had any luck? Not sure which one of us said " we would have.... if the birds didn't flare off". The fellow hummed and hawed, not really saying anything and kind of just stood there waiting for something, Not to say we were nasty but it was quite clear we were not too talkie due to the flaring of the birds. Common sense would dictate you don't randomly walking into fields where people who you don't know who they are and they are actively hunting.

The question came up after young man left "was he looking for an invite to hunt after flaring 3 flocks for us"?

The gentlemen from I met this morning, lets call him Steve, spoke then. Steve said the same person showed up yesterday morning about 0800, with only a gun and a layout blind then basically invited himself on Steve's hunt. No decoys, no dog, no idea who Steve was, just invited himself to use Steve's hard work, permission, and set up as he was Steve's bestie.

I understand Steve was in the filed before me this morning. We both had permission, it was well before legal shoot, we had a discussion and since Steve was there before me if he wasn't good with me hunting with him, I would have gone to another field. I didn't try to horn into his hunt, I wasn't in there during hunting time disturbing his hunt or flaring his birds. I had all my own gear and was completely able to hunt with or without him. Steve and I had a discussion well before legal shoot and came to cooperative agreement,

So i am not sure about the young man who just stood behind us this morning. Was he just too bold to think he could just jump in on someone's hunt? Was he to lazy do his own scouting and to gain permission? Or did he not have a enough common sense not to wreck someone else's hunt? Whatever the reason, he screwed up several flocks of geese late in the season for us.

On flip side, Steve was a gentleman, an excellent hunter and a considerate person in general.

A memorable day for the good and bad hunting etiquette. I think if we all use our heads, some common sense and civility; we all have excellent experiences in the field.

·
Registered
3,826 Posts
Unfortunately most times I post on this site its to tell a unfortunate story or *****. This is the latter.... hunting today down in the valley and I went to field which I have permission for. I knew of very few others had permission for it too but I went early so it thought it would be ok. Arriving at the field there was a truck I had seen there the other day and I seen a light in the dark field. Damn... someone beat me to the field, I still wanted to hunt the field so I decided since it was very early to go talk to who was in the field to see if we could cooperate on a hunt. It was only one fella and after a few "how you dos " and a quick discussion, the nice gentleman said no problem. I explained the excessive amount of decoys I had in the truck and other gear, we agreed on me adding another dozen full bodies to the spread.

Time goes by and I realize this fellow is the real deal, he has alot of experience and is a good hunter. Wicked. After about an hour or so the first flight of geese come towards us. The 2 dozen honkers locked, low and coming straight for us. They are just about to be in range, 12 birds wide and 10 yards up, then....... super flare within 60 yards!!!! What the? Blinds are good, no one is sticking out, nothing stupid is happening, so what is going on? Nothing stupid??? we didn't know yet. 2 more flocks do the same. Locked, loaded and then break off just before shooting range. There has be something wrong. I stand up to look around and there is a truck like 120 yards behind us on the dirt road in the field and there is the driver around 20 yards closer than that, staring at us. The owner of the field doesn't want anyone to drive on the road. The driver is a younger fella in camo, just standing there, looking sheepish. We are all not happy as there is someone randomly standing behind us a 100 yards or less from us in a field while hunting. He comes over and states he has been watching us for an hour and asked us if we had any luck? Not sure which one of us said " we would have.... if the birds didn't flare off". The fellow hummed and hawed, not really saying anything and kind of just stood there waiting for something, Not to say we were nasty but it was quite clear we were not too talkie due to the flaring of the birds. Common sense would dictate you don't randomly walking into fields where people who you don't know who they are and they are actively hunting.

The question came up after young man left "was he looking for an invite to hunt after flaring 3 flocks for us"?

The gentlemen from I met this morning, lets call him Steve, spoke then. Steve said the same person showed up yesterday morning about 0800, with only a gun and a layout blind then basically invited himself on Steve's hunt. No decoys, no dog, no idea who Steve was, just invited himself to use Steve's hard work, permission, and set up as he was Steve's bestie.

I understand Steve was in the filed before me this morning. We both had permission, it was well before legal shoot, we had a discussion and since Steve was there before me if he wasn't good with me hunting with him, I would have gone to another field. I didn't try to horn into his hunt, I wasn't in there during hunting time disturbing his hunt or flaring his birds. I had all my own gear and was completely able to hunt with or without him. Steve and I had a discussion well before legal shoot and came to cooperative agreement,

So i am not sure about the young man who just stood behind us this morning. Was he just too bold to think he could just jump in on someone's hunt? Was he to lazy do his own scouting and to gain permission? Or did he not have a enough common sense not to wreck someone else's hunt? Whatever the reason, he screwed up several flocks of geese late in the season for us.

On flip side, Steve was a gentleman, an excellent hunter and a considerate person in general.

A memorable day for the good and bad hunting etiquette. I think if we all use our heads, some common sense and civility; we all have excellent experiences in the field.
I hate to say this but really how is the fact you seen a truck the day before where you planned to hunt, then went there the next day and the spot was occupied but you decided to continue on any different than the third guy that showed up. I wonder how buddy Steve felt having the two of you show up after he got there first. Sorry!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

I think that section already covered your comments

·
Registered
13,353 Posts

Not now but for many many years I have hunted geese in fields some years in PEI for 3 weeks straight , guided over there and NEVER have I witnessed anyone doing what you did regardless if you both had permission

Someone there first we moved on PERIOD as does any other goose hunters. Yes many would drop in after the hunt but not prior

I just cannot understand your logic here and that the guy on the road is any different. Why because you were there earlier than him??? You did this your words

Common sense would dictate you don't randomly walking into fields where people who you don't know who they are and they are actively hunting

If I was Steve I think I would be charging guiding fees
smile.png
and he is not the norm with his open arms reception to you prior to a hunt and don't expect that too many times if ever again.

Sorry dude but no blind of mine would you be added to. Have no idea how you handle a gun as an example and had enough close calls in my guiding days to put me and my friends at risk from some unknown hunter YOU

I am with Thunderstick on this one and wonder who has the common sense issues but sure have a lot of gall to even ask

I bet we are from different generations since I have never heard if this before. Then again

I do remember one case where two full camo DNR goose hunters offered to share their blind with two guys
sad.png
. I don't think that hunt went well :(

Just my 2 cents

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
Here my take on this , if I'm there first , I'm there , its not for you or anyone else to think they can set up where I'm set up already , don't care how good of etiquette you have or feel you have , setting up or asking to co-operate on a hunt when someone is already there is not good in my Book Period , even if you have permission as well as the first guy

It's simple move in to another spot and leave things as they are , we are dealing with a SKY BUSTER at one our spots right now , sits on the opposite side of the channel blasting away at EVERYTHING AT ALL RANGES , soon as a bird come to view he blasting to try to fk you over . I've had my words trying be nice , but it's past that now .

Now we simply block off the road to the private land ( Written Permission Obtained) to keep this Yahoo out .

It's same for myself if someone is there b4 me I'll move along to another blind I use in another cove , after all I've got my boat/ motor at all times , most guys don't .

You want good etiquette , don't invite yourself at anytime once some one is there setting up or even there just unloading or already set up . Doesn't matter how much you want to hunt that spot , everyone has different ways of waterfowling . The only ones in my blind are my kids or guys I've hunted with for many years , not someone who just feels/ thinks they could hook up on the hunt I've already put together just cause they feel like they are entitled to be there cause of permission Obtained .

One last note , realize this Steve could easily run both you off as he has permission and was set up or arrived first , you both were interfering with a legal hunt and could been charged, didn't matter if b4 legal light , I'm always setting up in the dark , gun is encased till legal light as per regs book .

Don't care if you had permission as well , Hunting Etiquette in general is you see someone at a spot you had in mind , you just keep going , don't stop in to keep them from what they were getting ready for , you stopping in prior is INTERFERENCE PERIOD ! AS YOU STATED HE WAS NOT GOOD WITH YOU HUNTING WITH HIM , find another spot for that day !

Maybe you would not mind SHARING or coming to a CO-OPERATIVE AGREEMENT for next falls DEER HUNTING and SHARE your spot with Who ever Decides to stop in b4 your hunt cause they wanted to hunt that area too cause they have permission , bet that won't happen ever !

Cripes this chitt just gets under my skin !

·
Registered
642 Posts
I think the land owner is a bit at fault as well for giving permission to different guys for the same spot it just creates problems me i would of moved on.One thing i love about hunting in a boat first in gets the spot and my blind is attached to the boat.So getting in usually isn;t to hard plus land owners only own to the high water mark so no worries about trespassing once set up as long as your legal distance from a house or school.

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
I think the land owner is a bit at fault as well for giving permission to different guys for the same spot it just creates problems me i would of moved on.One thing i love about hunting in a boat first in gets the spot and my blind is attached to the boat.So getting in usually isn;t to hard plus land owners only own to the high water mark so no worries about trespassing once set up as long as your legal distance from a house or school.
So true , the boat really puts stop to any impending arguments or others wanting use a blind set you have , can set up in any cove away from the regular crowd or others trying to swoop in on your decoy set up as I've seen many times in the past .

As for the land owner , I'll agree there as well he should simply said straight out there's already someone with permission and I'd like to keep it to just one crew or person using the area so there is no squabble over who going to hunt on what day or days .

This is one of the reasons land owners close off their property to hunters , too many arguments or issues with those that feel they should be there just as much as next guy all due to permission given .

The land owner can very simply say , everyone leaves and that the end if that spot for any future use .

·
Registered
642 Posts
So true , the boat really puts stop to any impending arguments or others wanting use a blind set you have , can set up in any cove away from the regular crowd or others trying to swoop in on your decoy set up as I've seen many times in the past .

As for the land owner , I'll agree there as well he should simply said straight out there's already someone with permission and I'd like to keep it to just one crew or person using the area so there is no squabble over who going to hunt on what day or days .

This is one of the reasons land owners close off their property to hunters , too many arguments or issues with those that feel they should be there just as much as next guy all due to permission given .

The land owner can very simply say , everyone leaves and that the end if that spot for any future use .
I like the boat ive been using it up on the Brasdor alot the last couple of years but i want to start using it around Mira closer to home i got a private spot to launch it so i think next year im going to give it a go. Theres alot of coves on it holding birds so i'll be out and hopefully alone ...

·
Registered
6,252 Posts
They're a tuff bunch here that's for sure!
If the other guy didn't want you there he probably would of said " fly the flock otta here" but he didn't so just maybe what you did and how you did it was okay. Hardly ever see anyone else where we hunt ducks/geese so I'm not sure of the proper etiquette there. Who knows you might have made a new lifelong goose hunting friend as well.

·
Registered
6,252 Posts
Perhaps so we don't know what transpired between the owner and those he gave permission too. Could be a couple of huge fields there with room for more then one setup. Just saying,not in anyway chatting on you or what you said.
But at least the owner didn't say yes for x$$$, you can hunt like so many are doing now.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Perhaps so we don't know what transpired between the owner and those he gave permission too. Could be a couple of huge fields there with room for more then one setup. Just saying,not in anyway chatting on you or what you said.
But at least the owner didn't say yes for x$$$, you can hunt like so many are doing now.
No prob but its funny you mentioned charging money for feilds i was at hnatituks last week and they were telling me thats the way it is around their area ,you can go daily if ya want lol.He told me the prices i near puked...

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
I like the boat ive been using it up on the Brasdor alot the last couple of years but i want to start using it around Mira closer to home i got a private spot to launch it so i think next year im going to give it a go. Theres alot of coves on it holding birds so i'll be out and hopefully alone ...
Hunted several spots this yr on the Mira , upside and low side , not very many at all hunting it , lower side lots of coves and ton of birds , but gotta watch where the cottages are , upper side faired out well in several spots with no competition or sounds if shots anywhere .

No prob but its funny you mentioned charging money for feilds i was at hnatituks last week and they were telling me thats the way it is around their area ,you can go daily if ya want lol.He told me the prices i near puked...
Friend of mine in Shubie area invited me up there two yrs ago , Geese where magoty on his fields , said he can easily get $400-600 a day ( depending on amount of hunters ) for one day rental and guys willing to pay it . I'll stick to the Salt marshes and Coves first .

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
I know a guy here locally who's now charging per day or 3 day field rental , be cold day in hell b4 I start paying to hunt private lands .at least hunting the , coves , inlets and salt marshes , it free , only gotta pay my gas for boat /motor , my truck , shells and some grub . That's enough without paying for field rentals .

·
Registered
13,353 Posts
Field rental for goose hunting has been the norm in many places for like 40 years now or more about time NS land owners/ farmers are catching on

My first trip to PEI was in 1984 and we had to pay then to hunt fields or you did not hunt like 600 bucks for three of us for the week which was cheap. In those days you didnot need a PEI guide

The last fields we helped rent in PEI was in my last trip in 2005 before I got sick

Crap fields went for $3000 up to $10000 for the year then. My bud corey would rent them since he lived there and would back charge us per hunter , per day we used it and when we left kept charging others to make the money back. He always at least broke even every year

It was around then we also started seeing farmers In truro area charging also when we hunted there

Cheers

·
Registered
3,826 Posts
One rule of thumb I have is I never go where others go period. I would never be comfortable knowing that someone was close with a gun that I don't know. I make it a point to scout and find these areas where others prefer not to go. I don't let the number of game convince me to change the way I hunt. Just to many areas down here in the valley where everyone gathers and its a shoot fest. Seen that for many years in the Halifax area. No thanks. I would rather see less game, but have that safe feeling and not having people less prepared showing up unannounced.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I am surprised to hear that some folks don't find meeting up with fellow waterfowlers immediately pre-hunt to be as common. I have been in many situations where I get to a frequented or new spot well before legal and will notice others gearing to hunt nearby and head over for a chat. Most times a spot is big enough for many hunters so I'll simply ask where they were planning on setting up to make sure we are safely distanced. More often than not, the other hunters will offer to join up for the hunt. Being new to this sport, I started to think this kind of thing was the norm!

·
Registered
13,353 Posts
I am surprised to hear that some folks don't find meeting up with fellow waterfowlers immediately pre-hunt to be as common. I have been in many situations where I get to a frequented or new spot well before legal and will notice others gearing to hunt nearby and head over for a chat. Most times a spot is big enough for many hunters so I'll simply ask where they were planning on setting up to make sure we are safely distanced. More often than not, the other hunters will offer to join up for the hunt. Being new to this sport, I started to think this kind of thing was the norm!
Some folks??? Strangers sharing a blind???? as you say by walking up prior. Common

No one I have ever shared a blind with, hunted with or guided and I have done a ton of goose hunting in my life time over 50 years and four provinces

Must be some new generation thing I guess. I really don't know , but know One I will never participate in

On two occasions while guiding when I had no choice but to take the clients the outfitter gave me to a blind did I almost get shot by individuals that should have not been given a gun let alone hunting

Then there was the guy from sudbury ontario who when I made the call take them he jumped up and blew the f'k all three shots into the decoys and was reloading to shoot more. I will never forget him shaking like a leaf and me trying to calm him down and get that 1187 out of his hands or the ones that will not listen and keep taking the safety off with the gun standing on it's own no matter how many times you put it back on and tell him to stop

Had one of those just about cut the leg off a guy when the gun fell and discharged into the side of the blind

Why would I allow a complete stranger who could be the same in my blind which I control

Not safe and Not going to happen. Yes I have taken a lot of young new guys and introduced them to the sport but they are checked out prior to hitting the blind with us

Just my oldman's take on it

Cheers

Can't find the pics of the shot up decoys but will keep looking since they are priceless but did find a pic of the long honker calls I made back then LOL

Would think in those days they were better than big river LOL

gEyBfZ9.jpg

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
HERE'S SOMETHING TO THINK ABOUT !

All because of hunters not accustomed to others hunting style , I was shot at one year and hit in the hand while waving a flag to warn others we were set up , couple hours of O.R time to remove 11 BB shot with one still in my hand , this was 30 yrs ago in a very popular spot , these exact same people INTRODUCED themselves b4 legal light and WERE FKN TOLD WHERE WE WERE SET UP , but NOOOO ! they got greedy and tried shoot from the side of our decoys , IM FKN LUCKY I DID NOT LOOSE MY HEAD !

So if ANYONE THINKS FOR ONE SPLIT SECOND , I'LL SHARE , CO-SHARE, JOIN UP OR WHATEVER , BETTER SHAKE YOUR HEAD !
Everyone has their style of hunting and gun handling some more confident then others for Damm sure .

I carry around a reminder in my left hand everyday why I'll never just introduce myself or allow others to come over and chat b4 hand , it's simple I'm here they go elsewhere ! ! !

·
Registered
13,353 Posts
One rule of thumb I have is I never go where others go period. I would never be comfortable knowing that someone was close with a gun that I don't know. I make it a point to scout and find these areas where others prefer not to go. I don't let the number of game convince me to change the way I hunt. Just to many areas down here in the valley where everyone gathers and its a shoot fest. Seen that for many years in the Halifax area. No thanks. I would rather see less game, but have that safe feeling and not having people less prepared showing up unannounced.
Yes and I read this today and know you are a very smart man. How sad

https://wgntv.com/2020/01/03/father-and-9-year-old-daughter-killed-while-hunting-they-were-mistaken-for-deer/

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
The best is being on a public marsh and someone walking through the marsh with no camo and sky blasting while being no more than 60 yards or so from people who have blinds setup. Happened to me a few years ago.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts