Nova Scotia Hunting Forum banner
21 - 40 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
17,024 Posts
Two years ago I had money in a Tangerine acc, and some one got into their system and dinged a lot of us. They got all the money in my Tangerine acc, got access to my local bank and drained that, borrowed a huge amount in my name , got into my CRA account and were in the process of having my Canada pension and Old age Secutity checks transfered to them when I found out all this was going on. Total Identity Theft. I was successful in getting reimbursed, but I was on the computer almost everyday for about 2 months, contacting the RCMP, the Credit Card People, insurance people, and getting my personal credit rating restored. And the worst of it is that they have your Social Security info and you never know if they are coming back..
Wow that is one of the worst cases I have ever heard. They say it will be at least a month before I know what is going to take place
On a happy note up to five hummingbirds which is a lot for me :)

·
Registered
7,291 Posts
Congrats on the new addition Dave. Don’t know how you can afford four kids in today’s world tho! Wow your looking at about $1 million in university costs !

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Yup I wish looking back that I went for a trade instead of university. Still possible I suppose. I will be trying my best to convince all of them of that same idea.
I think an individual’s aptitude should be a large part of determining their career/occupation. Skilled trades people and professionals such as doctors, registered nurses, etc will all be required in the future. I believe a person will need to acquire skills that compliment each other as most people will experience several occupational/ career adjustments or changes throughout their time in the work force.

1NSH Dave . You are absolutely correct. It is still possible. It is never to late to achieve new goals.
Myself, I have an interest in Silviculture.

·
Registered
17,024 Posts
Lol university by then will be passe and a good trade will be the thing, theres already a shortage of trades workers
They have a real hard time today to get kids into trades. trades mean physical WORK and getting dirty , cold or wet with dirt or grease on your hands and as they say not for me.
Some yes but not like it was when we were that age. My bud still teaches millwright and says they have to get people from all over the world now just to fill the class
Sitting ona computer starting at 40 bucks an hour in clean air conditioning it what they want today
Cheers

·
Registered
17,024 Posts
I've always remembered this guys comments on another site I visit:p and could be any one of my sisters 3 boys:(

Because any way you slice it, most trade jobs suck and in my experiences, so do a lot of people in them. I don’t want to spend the majority of my life doing shitty, unfulfilling work (often 60+ hours a week) alongside people I don’t relate to at all. Is there something strange about that? I don’t think there is. Don’t get me wrong, many of them are also very competent in their field and do great work, but most of the time that’s where it ends. I don’t want to work with people whom the majority of smoke cigarettes, gamble, drink excessively, are fat despite “working their ass off”, and try to bully and intimidate you if they feel like they can. I hate to say it, but I haven’t met too many blue-collar people that I can say I respect enough to want to work with —let alone work under. I know some people aren’t going to like what I wrote, but that’s the opinion I’ve come up with

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Some of today’s youth have a sense of entitlement. They don’t want to work their way to the top, they want to start at the top. They do not understand that just because they got a degree or diploma that made getting a specific job possible, that they are still a junior employee and are on probation until they prove themselves. Time in with a company ,course upgrading or higher levels of certification all add up to a higher pay scale. However, having said this, many employers today offer contracts. Often, they do not provide any benefits and retirement packages are not available. So where is the incentive? Yes, it is a different job market from the one that I worked my way through to retirement for sure.
If I were a young person today, I would focus on electronics, computer technology, programming and processing as the world revolves around computers today. The more degrees, diplomas, certifications and additional skills in this area the better.
Almost every job today requires the employee to have some computer skills; whether they must be proficient in word processing and program management or to be skilled in using specialized computerized equipment and diagnostic tools.
It’s a Brave New World..

Reactions: Tyson10gauge

·
Registered
586 Posts
Some of today’s youth have a sense of entitlement. They don’t want to work their way to the top, they want to start at the top. They do not understand that just because they got a degree or diploma that made getting a specific job possible, that they are still a junior employee and are on probation until they prove themselves. Time in with a company ,course upgrading or higher levels of certification all add up to a higher pay scale. However, having said this, many employers today offer contracts. Often, they do not provide any benefits and retirement packages are not available. So where is the incentive? Yes, it is a different job market from the one that I worked my way through to retirement for sure.
If I were a young person today, I would focus on electronics, computer technology, programming and processing as the world revolves around computers today. The more degrees, diplomas, certifications and additional skills in this area the better.
Almost every job today requires the employee to have some computer skills; whether they must be proficient in word processing and program management or to be skilled in using specialized computerized equipment and diagnostic tools.
It’s a Brave New World..
True. Finding good people that are interested in hard work and fit in well at work has never been easy but it is definitely hard now. Partly because of that sense of entitlement and partly because people are not as willing to put up with being treated badly and taken advantage of as they once were.

As you said, pretty much any job now requires computer skills. The better your computer skills, the more successful you will be in just about any job today. Maybe not as important to a carpenter or plumber for example but still an asset.

I think each young person has to try to decide for themselves if working with their hands is for them. Easy to say but very hard to do! Many won't have had any, or very little at least, exposure to hard, dirty, stressful and sometimes dangerous work environments however. So making a decision to do that long term for a living might be difficult for them. Some start out in trades and end up in white collar jobs. I know a guy that trained as a welder and went back to university and became a mechanical engineer (and a darn good one too). I started as a construction labourer at 18 and after two years went back to school, took business and became an accountant.

It would be great if young people got more real help in figuring out the point where what they like to do, what they want to do and what they are or may actually be good at intersects. Doesn't matter what you do if you are skilled in your field I think you will generally be happier in life because we spend a large part of our life at work.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Interesting TonyM. You are correct in stating that young people require more real help in figuring out how their likes, wants and abilities can all be assets in determining an occupation or career path in which they will be happy and excel.
I was very fortunate as a younger person because I was exposed to numerous skills. I helped my dad build several pieces of furniture, refurbish a bicycle, built a fence and a plywood fishing boat with our neighbours help. I was taught to use hand tools and power tools such as an electric drill, skill saw and sander. My father liked nothing better than push cart season in the neighbourhood so he could help all the kids build their racers.
I helped my dad paint fences, our house and I even painted my grandparents farmhouse. Every summer in my late teens I paint houses inside and out.

Then of course it was all about cars. My best friend’s older brother was into fixing up cool cars like the Nova SS and Super Bee. Sometimes he let us hang around and help out. My friend even refurbished a Volkswagon beetle in his teens.
One May, I got a job helping to set up the brand new Woolco store on Grand Lake road in Sydney. I was offered a position as a trainee but one of my older sisters had already secured me a summer job working at Fiberglass Canadian in Edmonton. Alberta. The job entailed standing on your feet and recycling and bagging fibreglass that had imperfections into blowing wool insulation, cleaning and sandblasting industrial oven racks or pushing a broom.

The next summer, my oldest sister got me a job in Vancouver, working as an electronic assembler for a company that produced underwater survey equipment. I learned how to solder electronic components, assemble and test them. I learned how to mix epoxy by the the gallon pail and waterproof C cells inside custom plastic containers.

Now, having graduated with an Arts degree, I once again went out to Edmonton and got a job in a lumber yard. Because I was the new guy, I got to stack 2x4s straight off the “Green Chain”. I was running, as those suckers flew out of the thickness planner and flipped on to the conveyor belt. They had to be stacked, with spacers between layers for air movement, then strapped so the fork lift could take them to be stored in the yard. I finally got to drive one of the five ton sawdust trucks on occasion. This company also bagged saw dust to be used on the oil rigs to help cleanup oil spills and provide safe footing around the oil derricks. Sometimes an order would come in for an eighteen wheeler load and you could make some extra cash by working overtime and filling fifty pounds of sawdust into burlap bags with a pan shovel to help meet the delivery dead line.

That fall I landed a position as a child care worker. I worked with children who were placed in a group home and had different degrees of emotional issues. This job proved to be very rewarding, but stressful at the same time. I became the fire marshal for the group home and had to get qualified in advance first aid. After a few years, I decided to return to University and get a teaching degree in special education.

So the moral of the story is that I was very fortunate to have had the opportunity to learn many different skills and to be exposed to so many different types of employment. I was able to determine what I wanted to do for employment for the long haul.

One day I was talking to some friends about this very subject. The group was made up of a teacher, pilot, a nurse , a dental technician and a store manager. As a group it was our opinion that at the
time ( mid eighties) a person may be in their mid to late twenties before they settled on a long term occupation.

·
Administrator
10,989 Posts
We went from laughter...to doom and gloom...to bad luck to life experiences....love this thread !!

·
Registered
3,253 Posts
Good morning sir. Just getting ready for a 10 day vaca in the wine country of Niagara. A short 18 hr drive. Traveling through the US and a stop in Montreal on the way home to watch the youngest compete in a triathlon. Hopefully the weather cooperates. A lot of wet weather coming across canada and the US.

·
Registered
17,024 Posts
A day late but good morning to you also walter and everyone here and have a great day
I am here alone trying to run the greenhouse business for the mrs of course she had to go to halifax on opening day for the daughters graduation
which is no.1
Don't get time to pee between 8.00 and 8. but Ok with that since we have a huge bill to pay this year and actually had our second biggest day yesterday in 10 years and not even the weekend
Sure hope it keeps up

Have fun buckmark and be safe and don't break any laws:p

·
Registered
7,291 Posts
I've always remembered this guys comments on another site I visit:p and could be any one of my sisters 3 boys:(

Because any way you slice it, most trade jobs suck and in my experiences, so do a lot of people in them. I don’t want to spend the majority of my life doing shitty, unfulfilling work (often 60+ hours a week) alongside people I don’t relate to at all. Is there something strange about that? I don’t think there is. Don’t get me wrong, many of them are also very competent in their field and do great work, but most of the time that’s where it ends. I don’t want to work with people whom the majority of smoke cigarettes, gamble, drink excessively, are fat despite “working their ass off”, and try to bully and intimidate you if they feel like they can. I hate to say it, but I haven’t met too many blue-collar people that I can say I respect enough to want to work with —let alone work under. I know some people aren’t going to like what I wrote, but that’s the opinion I’ve come up with
Likely a lot of people won’t like what he wrote! I know lots of professional people that drink,smoke and gamble. Some fat one too. What a FKEN AHOLE. Likely a lot of people that wouldn’t want to even be around this guy let alone to work with him.

21 - 40 of 54 Posts