Nova Scotia Hunting Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I decided not to target weasels this year...too little return for the effort of digging out the traps all the time (last year!). This year, including this morning, I'm getting more weasel tracks in the snow than anything else. I've caught as many incidental weasels this year as in my weasel traps last year. And I can't seem to connect on a mink...a weasel took a pig heart out of my mink box (with a 160 in it), but left the fish behind. Didn't snap the trap.

How did weasels do at the last auction? I'm wondering if I should start targeting them.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Rat traps in an enlosed dogproof box work extremely well, or a 110 coni in the same situation. Best bait I can say I ever used for weasel was fresh liver, the fresher the better,. You can also set blind sets on trails with 110s where you know there travelling works very good to, one other method I found good was to set 110s at points in brooks along the bank where there have to make a 45 degree turn around the bank under water. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Weasels everywhere... HHHUUUUMMM ,you guys are spending too much time with the dregs of society such as the con artists selling cruise & paradise hotels along the coast of Italy.

·
Registered
232 Posts

got this one in the kitchen of the cottage saturday . personally i like to have them around the camp and cottage (no mice).but the wife is scared of anything that resembles a rodent .gave it to a gentleman up the road who turned 93 saturday and already has a coyote and a fox he got himself .

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Went out for a little walk (with the 12 gauge
) back the old halifax road ,looking for a bunny or two, saw more weasel tracks than i've seen in quite a few years.Back when i had the time to set rabbit snares , the little buggers (weasels) would sometimes get to them (snowshoe hares) before me and eat the insides out of them. Also saw two of the biggest set's of coyote tracks i've ever seen.

·
Registered
938 Posts
Went for a snowshoe hike on Monday and the only tracks that I saw besides my own were some rabbit and red squirrel tracks, 1 set of racoon tracks and some weasel tracks where they were hunting mice around a grassy medow.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Checked one of my lines yesterday...some of my snares are under the snow, some are sheltered and perfect. But I had this weasel just go through the snare as if he was just snubbin his nose at me!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts