Nova Scotia Hunting Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seen on my pond today 11 new ducks 1 moma and 10 little ones. Mother has a brown head with a few feathers behind her head like she was going fast. Not a lot like a hooded bird but enough to see them.

Babies are 3/4 size to mother She was brown with a greyish breast but very small. Babies about the size of a teal She might be as big as a small partridge. My bird book show her as big as seagull. Ive seen them before and they appeared to be 2-3 X her size.

What is it?

·
Registered
2,376 Posts
Sounds like you are describing a wood duck to me . she should have a greyish puddle duck type of bill . as apposed to a sharp pointed bill like a merganizer . the merganzier will have a rusty redish brown head . woodduck below
59857401-1280px.jpg

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
Gary .... could be the same one but had a lot less on the back of head. . Hooded are a bigger bird are they not?

There was only one adult . Is that common for the male to leave?

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
As fast as they arrived . they were gone again after a couple hrs on the pond.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Hooded mergansers are small. Wood duck size or even less I would say. Not much to them. They nest in the same structure as wood ducks, and will even use the nest boxes put up for them. It definitely sounds like you’re describing a hooded merganser hen.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Another possibility is a ringneck hen. But I’m not sure if they nest around here or just pass through. The hens of those are pretty plain looking.

·
Registered
2,583 Posts

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Best I could do with my camera.

·
Registered
2,376 Posts
Yes seeing your photo hooded merganzier .

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
she's got lots of youngsters to look out for. Theyre good to eat - not fishy like the bigger mergansers - need to dust off the shotgun come October, Razor.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts