Nova Scotia Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. I’ve got a friend wants to get back into archery after not doing it for maybe 20 years. His old bow is a hefty old beast and he wants to start off new. Where do you guys suggest we visit? We’re in truro. I’m thinking young guns?
Last time I bought a bow was down in archers paradise many years ago.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Hey guys. I’ve got a friend wants to get back into archery after not doing it for maybe 20 years. His old bow is a hefty old beast and he wants to start off new. Where do you guys suggest we visit? We’re in truro. I’m thinking young guns?
Bobs a good friend of mine. He’s done a ton of work on my bows over the years. He got all the flagships bows from Hoyt, Bowtech and PSE. And bunch of used bows too and all the accessories to fit them. I’d definitely a go to young guns

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
1NSH Dave

Hey Dave - as Camocam92 said check out what Bob at Young Guns has. Was in his shop last week and he has a good inventory of bows. Ya might even want to call him first to get some info. His number is: 902-877-0585.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
He seems to be the unanimous suggestion! Asked same on the Fb page for BANS and got same answer.

am I remembering right that a few years ago he took on the business from archers paradise?

·
Registered
734 Posts
I can't really compare, but my wife was set up with a compound bow at Bass Pro and absolutely zero experience with it before. The guys had her try one at their little range, adjusted the pull length, draw weight, and sight so it worked for her. Arrows cut to length at no extra charge. She was happy with their service.

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
Young guns or Phils archery shop (Phil Nelson ).young guns is in Porters Lake and Phil's is in Eastern Passage .

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
We just got home from a trip to young guns and sure enough it was a trip well spent. And spend we did haha. He ended up with a new Hoyt bow, I’m not sure I can be friends with him now shooting that. Could be worse I guess, he could have got a Matthews somewhere. Lol.

I picked up some new arrows for mine and then somehow got tricked into buying a trail camera, gun case, and some duck shells.

I was right that he took over the archers paradise business. A great experience down there, he took care of my buddy with great bow knowledge and has him all set up ready to go.

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
1NSH Dave
We just got home from a trip to young guns and sure enough it was a trip well spent. And spend we did haha. He ended up with a new Hoyt bow, I’m not sure I can be friends with him now shooting that. Could be worse I guess, he could have got a Matthews somewhere. Lol.

I picked up some new arrows for mine and then somehow got tricked into buying a trail camera, gun case, and some duck shells.

I was right that he took over the archers paradise business. A great experience down there, he took care of my buddy with great bow knowledge and has him all set up ready to go.

Good stuff Dave - I knew Bob would be a good choice

·
Registered
50 Posts

Yup I go in for something minor all the time. I only live about 10 minutes away from bobs store but always end up spending more than I intended. And whatever I want he’ll order in for me, and never asks for a deposit, and if it arrives before I’m home off the boat he’ll hold it. I got him into the Sitka gear thing and stocking it. I’ve been buying it for years with trips on the boat into low sales tax states. It’s another expensive thing to outfit yourself in but totally worth it

·
Registered
734 Posts
It’s another expensive thing to outfit yourself in but totally worth it
Watching ammo prices soar, I've been considering getting into archery. You might occasionally lose or damage an arrow, which are expensive, but mainly you can reuse the projectile at no cost.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Watching ammo prices soar, I've been considering getting into archery. You might occasionally lose or damage an arrow, which are expensive, but mainly you can reuse the projectile at no cost.
yes they can be pricey but you can also get much cheaper ones that will do just fine for most shooting. I don’t see any there but I used to always shoot plain old Easton power flight arrows. And I won a couple 3D matches using them. Don’t need to spend 15-20$ on an arrow to shoot well.

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
yes they can be pricey but you can also get much cheaper ones that will do just fine for most shooting. I don’t see any there but I used to always shoot plain old Easton power flight arrows. And I won a couple 3D matches using them. Don’t need to spend 15-20$ on an arrow to shoot well.
The easton power flight line has been discontinued and been replaced with a new line . also easton has taken over beaman and discontinued the beaman line as well . still lots good choises in the easton line for moderate price arrows or shafts . I always just buy shafts and do my own fletching and inserts .

·
Registered
14,256 Posts
Anyone remember the first year we could bow hunt in NS sorry for being a bit off track but rembolt triggered something in his making your own
I did also and still have many new shafts etc not assembled bought that year and vintage now. Carbon Beamans and easton camo75 and easton fluted in 2219 and 2315 logs with new in box thunderhead 125's remember those :)
I shot an Oneida eagle 80 pound and still have it. Yes could pull it back from sitting in the tree stand then 12 feet in the air now can hardly do it standing up :( as FNH says
In 1989 they were the bomb as were the oneida's
Font Book Publication Missile Office supplies

·
Administrator
10,115 Posts
Buddy of mine had the Oneida Screamin Eagle (IIRC) Nice bow !!!..set at 80 lbs...maxed out ! Only 2 of us could draw it back sittin down...lol
At that time, I had the best Browning bow made .. Maxim (what else lol)....Think it maxed out at 65 lbs (??) No overdraw...big long heavy arrows...wayy tooo quiet for my likings. Never went BANG !...lol

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
Anyone remember the first year we could bow hunt in NS sorry for being a bit off track but rembolt triggered something in his making your own
I did also and still have many new shafts etc not assembled bought that year and vintage now. Carbon Beamans and easton camo75 and easton fluted in 2219 and 2315 logs with new in box thunderhead 125's remember those :)
I shot an Oneida eagle 80 pound and still have it. Yes could pull it back from sitting in the tree stand then 12 feet in the air now can hardly do it standing up :( as FNH says
In 1989 they were the bomb as were the oneida's
View attachment 96632
If I were going bow hunting this season. and I haven't in many :( . this is the broadhead I would be using .

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
Buddy of mine had the Oneida Screamin Eagle (IIRC) Nice bow !!!..set at 80 lbs...maxed out ! Only 2 of us could draw it back sittin down...lol
At that time, I had the best Browning bow made .. Maxim (what else lol)....Think it maxed out at 65 lbs (??) No overdraw...big long heavy arrows...wayy tooo quiet for my likings. Never went BANG !...lol
Kevin I have been there and done that when your bow goes BANG ! 😮 It is something I sure hopes never happens again .

·
Registered
14,256 Posts
Had to be real careful with branches up in the tree stand with the oneida or yes they will go bang also ( break a limb : ) and not from a dry fire
We had four of them between me , the brother and the BIL three screaming eagles and one strike eagle
Three are still with us and my brother has passed one down to his son in Ohio who uses it
They were not for everyone and in those days there were no parts in NS or few people to talk to about them so one had no choice but to learn what they could about them . We got them at Pete's archery shop in NH on the way home from an old car meet in carsile PA could not find them in canada back then
I found we were always at them to keep them accurate and working good
Cheers

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
Now your age is showing :) Do they still make them
Cheers
Yes New Archery Products still produces the thunderhead in 85 , 100 , and 125 grain .

1 - 20 of 21 Posts