Nova Scotia Hunting Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The Coast
The anti-mowing campaign was started by an organization called Plant Life based in the United Kingdom, and the premise is simple: Nature needs natural lawns. Manicured lawns are for humans to demonstrate they have the time and money to keep nature in check. No seriously, that’s what lawns are. Even though lawns started as a defense mechanism for castles, lesser nobility wanted to pretend they also had a castle, and mimicked the practice. So the historic practice of making sure archers on parapets had clear lines of fire has evolved over time into suburban pissing contests that are killing the planet.

Read more at: It looks like No Mow May on the Halifax Common, but city hall says that’s an accident

Who Knew?

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
No mow May ??? Hahaha … those tree huggers would have a shit fit if they came to my place. I start mowing around the 25th of April, every year like clockwork. No dandelions on my lawn. When I see a plant, it comes out immediately. We have an in-ground irrigation system, and the lawn gets watered every night. That, combined with the regular fertilization … I need to mow every 3 or 4 days. We get a lot of compliments on our lawn. With the amount of deer that comes and cleans off the Hosta’s … I need to keep the lawn nicely trimmed in case I may need to pull back the string on a big buck. :D

·
Registered
17,365 Posts
No mow May ??? Hahaha … those tree huggers would have a shit fit if they came to my place. I start mowing around the 25th of April, every year like clockwork. No dandelions on my lawn. When I see a plant, it comes out immediately. We have an in-ground irrigation system, and the lawn gets watered every night. That, combined with the regular fertilization … I need to mow every 3 or 4 days. We get a lot of compliments on our lawn. With the amount of deer that comes and cleans off the Hosta’s … I need to keep the lawn nicely trimmed in case I may need to pull back the string on a big buck. :D
My lawn was like that also when I had nothing better to do :p:p and seen one activity makes money and one loses it ( before greenhouses and veggie garden ) all blue grass no weeds and measured it with a ruler to mow SERIOUSLY a ruler. Now more weeds than grass and mowed when I get time or cannot see the dogs any more :p:p
That being said many on this street are no mow may then june etc it seems
Wife and I watch two either 8 or 10 pointers play on a lawn yesterday in the middle of town for about 30 minutes. 6 cars stopped taking pics and they never even looked at us. Big racks but real small bodied deer

·
Registered
7,452 Posts
My lawn is always lush green and well manicured. NO WEEDS but if your lawn is nice and thick you rarely get weeds, if it gets stressed you will get weeds. Only fertilize mine in the spring.

·
Registered
7,452 Posts
and you live where people around you take care of their lawns which is not the case for me
Actually my next door neighbor’s lawn is dandelion heaven. As well as buttercups creeping Charlie etc etc

·
Registered
706 Posts
I get that the more you let your lawn go the more plants there will generally be in it that attract pollinators. But, I'm in the city and like the lawn to look good and be free of weeds. Our lawn was total 100% crap so I tilled up and sodded it 4 years ago and have spent a fortune and a lot of time trying to keep it looking good ever since. The house was built on fill (our lawn is about 25 feet higher than the house behind us on the other street) and even though there is at least a couple feet of soil it tends to dry out quickly which means this hot dry weather is really hard on it. Its nice but "lush" isn't how I would describe it.

·
Registered
7,452 Posts
I get that the more you let your lawn go the more plants there will generally be in it that attract pollinators. But, I'm in the city and like the lawn to look good and be free of weeds. Our lawn was total 100% crap so I tilled up and sodded it 4 years ago and have spent a fortune and a lot of time trying to keep it looking good ever since. The house was built on fill (our lawn is about 25 feet higher than the house behind us on the other street) and even though there is at least a couple feet of soil it tends to dry out quickly which means this hot dry weather is really hard on it. Its nice but "lush" isn't how I would describe it.
Ha ha not too many lush looking lawns around here plus the ground is like concrete it’s been so dry. The only lush looking grass I see is golfing, but only certain courses are not dried out. Brunello is always in awesome shape as is Glenn Arbor & Ashburn. Most others are in bad shape due to the dry weather and not having enough water available to water fairways. Most just watering the greens right now. But that means my drives are 300+ !!! My lawn is usually immaculate but not this year except the areas that get lots of shade. My front lawn is starting to turn brown even after leaving the sprinklers on all night last week.

·
GREYBEARD
3,313 Posts
The soil on our property is best described as hard pan, rock hard and speaking of rock lots and lots of rock.
We have a nice green yard, but a lot of it is white clover, since grass would not grow on a lot of it .
If the clover is cut it looks like grass, and if it grows a little long the Bees are everywhere in the yard.
It has been such a dry summer even the clover is having a tough time this year.

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
I have a lush green lawn, thanks to a creek that runs down along the property line then snake to the corner of the house 20ft from the well. We have to mow weekly all summer due to the foot high super thick grass between the house and the well..
Theres another creek on the other side of our circular driveway that runs to the corner of my garden, planned that way, but only for a few days after rain

Ive tried to use the existing water to my benifit and it seems to be working

·
Registered
17,365 Posts
I have a lush green lawn, thanks to a creek that runs down along the property line then snake to the corner of the house 20ft from the well. We have to mow weekly all summer due to the foot high super thick grass between the house and the well..
Theres another creek on the other side of our circular driveway that runs to the corner of my garden, planned that way, but only for a few days after rain

Ive tried to use the existing water to my benifit and it seems to be working
You should not be sharing that creek info or the beaverhunter here will move in:p

1 - 14 of 14 Posts