Nova Scotia Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 108 Posts

· Registered
5,079 Posts
Greasy way of soliciting business imo? Besides, most (if not all) people charged with wildlife offences are quilty and deserve what they get and more.

· Registered
856 Posts
come on now nomad, the guy has only made 2 posts, lets show him some love shall we. you think maybe there's any chance he might be pullin our leg?

· Registered
4,018 Posts
There are so few charges the last few years I doupt there are any experts around left to make a defense.

· Registered
3,339 Posts
To be an expert first you have to understand the regs we are under. For most lawyers that is the difficult part since no one really understands them and certain people seem to think that the interpretation can be changed on the fly.

· Registered
4,018 Posts
We had some very good lawyers about 30 years ago that were well schooled on the wildlife act. They were very hard to beat and many cases got thrown out over technical grounds .

· Registered
507 Posts
We had some very good lawyers about 30 years ago that were well schooled on the wildlife act. They were very hard to beat and many cases got thrown out over technical grounds .
Below is an article from New Brunswick about conviction rates. It was 14% for "major" charges. Many were dropped before even getting to trial, but even after that the percentage it not good. So, there must be some good lawyers left out there.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-brunswick/fish-wildlife-violations-laws-convictions-1.3344197

I think it would be great if Nova Scotia appointed a special prosecutor for Wildlife Act charges. They did that recently for Occupational Health and Safety, and it is working well to have a dedicated person.

I do not practice in this area, but I agree with WOT that the regs are hard to interpret. This makes is difficult on both defence counsel and prosecutors, and in some cases more so on prosecutors because they have the burden of proving the law has been broken, which is tough to do when you have trouble giving a clear explanation of the law. "Well judge, the intent of the law in this case is to deter...." is a tough way to start any argument.

John

· Registered
4,018 Posts
Are reg really that complicated? You need the courses, buy the licence and use the tool allowed for the licence.

· Registered
3,339 Posts
Trapper Gary

Can I set a colony trap within 182m of a residence without permission of the owner occupier? Please provide the section of the regulations that support your answer.

And just for shits and giggles can you please give me the definition of a highway as it applies to the wildlife act and associated regulations. Again please provide the reference for this definition.

You tell me are the regs that complicated?

· Registered
4,018 Posts
Trapper Gary

Can I set a colony trap within 182m of a residence without permission of the owner occupier? Please provide the section of the regulations that support your answer.

And just for shits and giggles can you please give me the definition of a highway as it applies to the wildlife act and associated regulations. Again please provide the reference for this definition.

You tell me are the regs that complicated?
No you can't
Summary clearly says no hunting with in 182 m ,

Regulations are clear on what a forest is were you can hunt freely.

There are regulations what and where you have to do.on a high way

Some ones woods road is not a public high way. The person that maintains the woods road do so at there own expense. Your walking down my woods road your not in a place descriped as forest area. That's how I see it

· Registered
846 Posts
No you can't
Summary clearly says no hunting with in 182 m ,

Regulations are clear on what a forest is were you can hunt freely.

There are regulations what and where you have to do.on a high way

Some ones woods road is not a public high way. The person that maintains the woods road do so at there own expense. Your walking down my woods road your not in a place descriped as forest area. That's how I see it
What happens when your hunting or trapping on a old unmaintained rd. as a K class Gov. rd ?

1 - 20 of 108 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.