Nova Scotia Hunting Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read here about it:
http://www.gov.ns.ca/snsmr/paal/dnr/paal101.asp
what does "it is not renewable" mean? does it mean I'm only allowed one per season or does it just mean I need to reapply with a form for each one? can't see many people getting these permits and thus, a lot of potentially good roadkill goes to waste. I live in Cape Breton and moose collisions happen at least a couple times each fall and just rot there, often hot to the touch fresh when I see them. just wondering if I were to get a permit if I could reapply to get another animal in the freezer for the year. might sound gross, but it's better then letting it waste there.

·
Registered
3,847 Posts
Doesn't sound gross to me, I've had roadkill deer before but no permit involved.

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
What I get from" not renewable" is that you need to apply for a permit for each animal you want to take posession of.I could be wrong

·
Registered
85 Posts
Storage permits
10 (1) A Deer Hunting Licence issued to a person who kills a deer shall serve as a valid storage permit to possess deer meat taken by that person until April 30th of the year following provided

(a) the Deer Hunting License is stamped, sealed or marked with the deer registration confirmation number; and
Clause 10(1)(a) replaced: O.I.C. 2005-236, N.S. Reg. 118/2005.

(
the Deer Registration Certificate on the Deer Hunting Licence is completed.
Clause 10(1)(
replaced: O.I.C. 2001-286, N.S. Reg. 74/2001; amended: O.I.C. 2005-236, N.S. Reg. 118/2005.

Subsection 10(1) amended: O.I.C. 89-744, N.S. Reg. 91/89.

(2) A person who kills a deer may transfer up to 15 pounds to any one household where it may be stored without a valid storage permit until April 30th of the year following.
Subsection 10(2) amended: O.I.C. 93-638, N.S. Reg. 102/93.

(3) After April 30th of the year following, it shall be an offence for any person, including a person who has been given less than 15 pounds of deer meat, to possess meat of the deer family without a valid storage permit issued by the Department.

(4) No person shall possess more than 15 pounds of the meat of a deer that they did not kill unless the person has been issued a valid storage permit.
Subsection 10(4) replaced: O.I.C. 2006-275, N.S. Reg. 90/2006.

(5) No person who kills a deer shall transfer more than 15 pounds of deer meat to another household unless the occupants have obtained a valid storage permit issued by the Department.
Subsection 10(5) amended: O.I.C. 93-638, N.S. Reg. 102/93.

(6) Possession by any person of any part of a deer lawfully taken, excluding the meat, is permitted without a storage permit.

Salvage permits are issued to keep meat outside the time you are not permitted to retain meat that was taken under licence. Also salvage meat permits are required to retain road kills such as deer,it gives the person who hit the deer an option to get some type of compensation for damages to his or her vehicle or if that person does not wish to keep the road kill someone else can retain it with a salvage permit.
Salvage permits are not designed to help people fill their freezers over the year.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Storage permits
10 (1) A Deer Hunting Licence issued to a person who kills a deer shall serve as a valid storage permit to possess deer meat taken by that person until April 30th of the year following provided

(a) the Deer Hunting License is stamped, sealed or marked with the deer registration confirmation number; and
Clause 10(1)(a) replaced: O.I.C. 2005-236, N.S. Reg. 118/2005.

(
the Deer Registration Certificate on the Deer Hunting Licence is completed.
Clause 10(1)(
replaced: O.I.C. 2001-286, N.S. Reg. 74/2001; amended: O.I.C. 2005-236, N.S. Reg. 118/2005.

Subsection 10(1) amended: O.I.C. 89-744, N.S. Reg. 91/89.

(2) A person who kills a deer may transfer up to 15 pounds to any one household where it may be stored without a valid storage permit until April 30th of the year following.
Subsection 10(2) amended: O.I.C. 93-638, N.S. Reg. 102/93.

(3) After April 30th of the year following, it shall be an offence for any person, including a person who has been given less than 15 pounds of deer meat, to possess meat of the deer family without a valid storage permit issued by the Department.

(4) No person shall possess more than 15 pounds of the meat of a deer that they did not kill unless the person has been issued a valid storage permit.
Subsection 10(4) replaced: O.I.C. 2006-275, N.S. Reg. 90/2006.

(5) No person who kills a deer shall transfer more than 15 pounds of deer meat to another household unless the occupants have obtained a valid storage permit issued by the Department.
Subsection 10(5) amended: O.I.C. 93-638, N.S. Reg. 102/93.

(6) Possession by any person of any part of a deer lawfully taken, excluding the meat, is permitted without a storage permit.

Salvage permits are issued to keep meat outside the time you are not permitted to retain meat that was taken under licence.Also salvage meat permits are required to retain road kills such as deer,it gives the person who hit the deer an option to get some type of compensation for damages to his or her vehicle or if that person does not wish to keep the road kill someone else can retain it with a salvage permit.
Salvage permits are not designed to help people fill their freezers over the year.
I'm talking about salvage permits, not storage permits. even so, it's not hard to just go to a DNR office and get a meat storage permit for after April 30th, nothing says how the animal is harvested, just you need a storage permit for prolonged storage.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Salvage permit and storage permit is the same permit when it comes to retaining deer meat....check it out with your local DNR office.

I'm talking about salvage permits, not storage permits. even so, it's not hard to just go to a DNR office and get a meat storage permit for after April 30th, nothing says how the animal is harvested, just you need a storage permit for prolonged storage.

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
Yes you need a salvage permit for each animal you want to salvage whether for your own consumption or for the fur if it is a fur bearing animal. It is not the same as a storage permit.
They will not give you a salvage permit to pick up all the dead raccoons you see for a month but you can get a permit to pick up one racoon at such and such a place.
There is at least one person on this site who knows first hand what horrors DNR can inflect when you are found to be in possession of a fur bearing animal out of season with no salvage permit and all it takes is one phone call.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes you need a salvage permit for each animal you want to salvage whether for your own consumption or for the fur if it is a fur bearing animal. It is not the same as a storage permit.
They will not give you a salvage permit to pick up all the dead raccoons you see for a month but you can get a permit to pick up one racoon at such and such a place.
There is at least one person on this site who knows first hand what horrors DNR can inflect when you are found to be in possession of a fur bearing animal out of season with no salvage permit and all it takes is one phone call.
yeah, same goes for anything, be it a deer, moose, bird, ect, it's no good to take game illegally, even if it's roadkill. thanks for the clarification, I was hoping it was that way and not only one permit per year.
but do you need to specify the animal and it's location before applying for a permit or can you just buy a permit and wait until you find a roadkill animal to use it on? cause the first one would be no good in my situation. the nearest DNR is nearly a hour's drive away in whycocomagh or baddeck and leaving carcass on the side of the road for that long after being hit would not be any good in my opinion.

·
Registered
85 Posts
A salvage permit is not designed to be used as a catch all permit...You will be asked why you want one,and what you want to retain for meat, example...deer,bear,moose,approximately how much meat you think you could salvage or retain, and a time limit for consumption will be added to the permit and any other stipulations they (DNR) want to put on the permit. And you may get a visit from a Conservation Officer to boot.
There is no cost for the permit and there issued on a case by case bases.
As for moose meat if your not native then your only allowed up to 100lbs of moose meat in your possession at any time with a meat permit
Ask me how I know....I have gotten permits in the past.

yeah, same goes for anything, be it a deer, moose, bird, ect, it's no good to take game illegally, even if it's roadkill. thanks for the clarification, I was hoping it was that way and not only one permit per year.
but do you need to specify the animal and it's location before applying for a permit or can you just buy a permit and wait until you find a roadkill animal to use it on? cause the first one would be no good in my situation. the nearest DNR is nearly a hour's drive away in whycocomagh or baddeck and leaving carcass on the side of the road for that long after being hit would not be any good in my opinion.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts