Nova Scotia Hunting Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got this

Hello All , Not sure if you organization is aware of the Wind Farm in Benjerman Mills or not , Please see attached pics . Looks like another 5-10000 acres that will be off limits to hunters and fisherman . Just though you might want to get your 2 cents in

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
It is the proposed "Benjamins Mill Wind Project." I was sad to see this last night. This has been some of my best Deer and Bird hunting areas for more then 4 decades, closer to 5 decades actually.. Many many others also Hunt in that general area. That is a big chunk of land out there where folks will no longer have access. It has been used for everything from Hunting to Fishing, ATVing and Snowmobiling for as long as I can remember.

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Absolute crap news, I am honestly worried about hunting/fishing in this province going forward, developments everywhere, population growing, wind farms, we are a tiny province with not a lot of crown land, they should be shoving these wind farms offshore like they are in Europe. Who can we complain to?

·
Registered
13,673 Posts
Absolute crap news, I am honestly worried about hunting/fishing in this province going forward, developments everywhere, population growing, wind farms, we are a tiny province with not a lot of crown land, they should be shoving these wind farms offshore like they are in Europe. Who can we complain to?
The question is who can you complain to that cares hunters are losing land
No one I know of
Cheers

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
The question is who can you complain to that cares hunters are losing land
No one I know of
Cheers
Lots of orgs care about preserving habitat, like CPAWS, and from what I have read when they do preserve land like they recently did in Lwr Sackville their press release said it's open for everyone including Hunting and Trapping.

Hunters are conservationists remember.

·
Registered
13,673 Posts
Lots of orgs care about preserving habitat, like CPAWS, and from what I have read when they do preserve land like they recently did in Lwr Sackville their press release said it's open for everyone including Hunting and Trapping.

Hunters are conservationists remember.
Agree 100%. For hunting on not so much
Cheers

·
Registered
13,673 Posts
Here is the thing, we need to be complaining to CPAWS then about this. There's the route we should all take.
And you think they will go against a wind farm project?? I sure don't. Attend the open house to discuss sorry that was three days ago :(. Bit too late regardless however IMO
Cheers

·
Registered
684 Posts
The last I heard, the Liberal government stated there would be no more special rate tariff for wind power. That means the wind power developer would be paid the going rate for any power source, not the highly subsidized rate that was previously paid out. The regular power tariff rate used to be so low that wind power development was not feasible, but coal, natural gas, etc. is economicly feasible. Maybe this project isn't part of the NS power planning, like the way Berwick went. That's just my thoughts on why I don't expect this to be a general thing in the province going forward.

According to the project web site, Benjamins Mills is still in proposal status:
Benjamins Mills Wind Project

It's election season. Ask someone running for government about it. Check if they have ever heard of the wind power atlas, which shows there is more power potential on coastlines and off shore than inland.

Nova Scotia Wind Atlas | Canadian GIS & Geomatics
(sample image is all that's available - nswindatlas.ca seems to be dormant)
Green and yellow represent low wind potential, while orange and red are high.

Here is a link to the NS Power site showing actual wind power production:

Today's Energy Stats

Scroll down to the graph showing the last 30 days of wind power output. You'll see wind power is a very unreliable source of power. If they wanted to build 10x the wind mills we have now, it still means no power being produced when it's practically still air across our small province.

All that happens with doing alternate power like wind and solar is now we mine for different resources rather than oil and coal. Lithium, copper, etc. all are needed in massive quantities. We just switch from depleting one group of non-renewable resources to depleting others. And you'll go through a lot more copper harnessing the wispy density of wind (air is 1/1000 the density of water) with turbines and transformers than you will with conventional sources of power like hydro.

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
The last I heard, the Liberal government stated there would be no more special rate tariff for wind power. That means the wind power developer would be paid the going rate for any power source, not the highly subsidized rate that was previously paid out. The regular power tariff rate used to be so low that wind power development was not feasible, but coal, natural gas, etc. is economicly feasible. Maybe this project isn't part of the NS power planning, like the way Berwick went. That's just my thoughts on why I don't expect this to be a general thing in the province going forward.

According to the project web site, Benjamins Mills is still in proposal status:
Benjamins Mills Wind Project

It's election season. Ask someone running for government about it. Check if they have ever heard of the wind power atlas, which shows there is more power potential on coastlines and off shore than inland.

Nova Scotia Wind Atlas | Canadian GIS & Geomatics
(sample image is all that's available - nswindatlas.ca seems to be dormant)
Green and yellow represent low wind potential, while orange and red are high.

Here is a link to the NS Power site showing actual wind power production:

Today's Energy Stats

Scroll down to the graph showing the last 30 days of wind power output. You'll see wind power is a very unreliable source of power. If they wanted to build 10x the wind mills we have now, it still means no power being produced when it's practically still air across our small province.

All that happens with doing alternate power like wind and solar is now we mine for different resources rather than oil and coal. Lithium, copper, etc. all are needed in massive quantities. We just switch from depleting one group of non-renewable resources to depleting others. And you'll go through a lot more copper harnessing the wispy density of wind (air is 1/1000 the density of water) with turbines and transformers than you will with conventional sources of power like hydro.
Lots of good info here.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts