Nova Scotia Hunting Forum banner
61 - 80 of 182 Posts

· Registered
18,888 Posts

· Registered
3,789 Posts
My son is getting almost $6 per pound for his pork. Cross between Berkshire and Mangalitsa. The best pork I have ever eaten. I guess by the time most people factor in what it costs for a deer nowadays with all the gas to and from and gear and baiting, if they do, maybe a side of deer is well worth a pig.

· Registered
18,888 Posts
My son is getting almost $6 per pound for his pork. Cross between Berkshire and Mangalitsa. The best pork I have ever eaten. I guess by the time most people factor in what it costs for a deer nowadays with all the gas to and from and gear and baiting, if they do, maybe a side of deer is well worth a pig.
Side of deer is not worth a few free range chickens IMO:p let alone a entire pig

· Registered
240 Posts

· Registered
2,973 Posts
The pig i got this year was 358lbs !
Cost me just over $1/lb , $397, at Reid's
That included the killing, cut, wrap, smoking
We generally sell half so we dont eat freezer burnt pork and are out before we get the next one.
Weve been trading deer/pork for years and can usually get one other pig trade each year. Steve was the lucky recipient this year

· Registered
18,888 Posts
We generally sell half so we dont eat freezer burnt pork and are out before we get the next one.
Weve been trading deer/pork for years and can usually get one other pig trade each year. Steve was the lucky recipient this year
pig poop is more than a buck a pound here ( are you sure it is not some old horse :p) and we have been getting a side for many years plus normally a side of beef and three lamb but no lamb again this year NONE being raised it seems any more to be bought and only took a 1/4 of the steer

· Registered
18,888 Posts
I literally just bought one at ikea last week forgot to use it😅
$575 for ONE side?How much did it weigh???Im guessing that price included smoking hams bacon etc?
Just don't force the ikea one when pressing since if you sqeeze too hard it will snap a handle off Been there twice with theirs
I do a ton of garlic a year ( like save 200 bulbs for our own use ) so upgraded from that stye to this and so far cannot break this one :)
Input device Peripheral Automotive design Font Gadget

The ones I broke looked like this one

Attachments

· Registered
2,973 Posts
pig poop is more than a buck a pound here ( are you sure it is not some old horse :p) and we have been getting a side for many years plus normally a side of beef and three lamb but no lamb again this year NONE being raised it seems any more to be bought and only took a 1/4 of the steer
Yup quite sure as it walks on to the trailer before being transported to the butcher. And yes i had to pass an animal identification test by a farmer before i was given permission to hunt his land.

· Registered
240 Posts
So you raised the pig urself then took to reids for killing and processing correct?

· Registered
18,888 Posts
View attachment 99404

Going away for the weekend so I made up a giant pot of goulash to hold the missus and kids over for a couple days. Easy winter meal that hits the spot in a snow storm. All one dish too, except for the measuring cup. So that’s a bonus.
AHH my specialty made a huge pot of it last or this week cannot remember
What do you use for sauce I like this in it
Food Liquid Ingredient Natural foods Bottle

61 - 80 of 182 Posts