Nova Scotia Hunting Forum banner
81 - 100 of 182 Posts

· Registered
18,887 Posts
I have never used cili sauce in my goulash before. How much would a fella use … in a pot the size that Dave made ??
Crap is not cheap any more so I put in one bottle rinsed with a little water at the end and then let it all simmer to get the water out years ago mrs would put two in but too strong for my liking and now too expensive like 7 dollars plus now a bottle

· Registered
1,663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #84 ·
For mine I gotta keep it tame as the wife and kids don’t like too spicy. I’m not a big fan either except For a little kick in some chilli.

For the “sauce” I use a can of diced tomatoes, and then a can condensed tomato soup, a few cups of beef stock. And then add in homemade taco seasoning, which is just chilli powder, cumin, paprika, salt pepper, oregano, garlic powder.

· Registered
18,887 Posts
trying to remember mine
Hot or italian sausage chopped up and pre cooked
Fresh
onion
garlic
diced tomatoes
green pepper
mushrooms
whole wheat noodles pre cooked
black pepper
sea salt
paprika
parsley
soy sauce
frozen corn
heinz chili sauce
some butter when cooking all the veggies

· Registered
1,663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #86 ·
Phew that’s a whole kitchen sink into yours! Sounds good. That’s the best part of goulash. No real recipe just add until it turns into a meal.

I did 2 lbs burger fried up, then an onion and a bell pepper added until softened. Some garlic for a minute. Taco seasoning as mentioned. Can diced tomatoe. Can tomatoe soup. Beef stock, 3c dry macaroni. Added some extra stock as the noodles cooked when it was looking a little thick a little early.

Sometimes I will make it then prepare a cheese sauce with some milk and flour and butter heated in a pot then shredded cheese stirred in until smooth then fold that into the goulash, make kind of a cheeseburger Macaroni.

· Registered
3,789 Posts
I always add butter to the pasta before I add the beef mixture. 1 lb of burger, and one lb of mild Italian sausage. Sautee onions and mushrooms .... dump meat mixture into the buttered pasta and a can of tomato soup and a can of Italian flavored diced tomatoes. Guess what's on the menu for next week ????

· Registered
209 Posts
Hamburger steak (deer or moose ground) with mushrooms onins and gravy over mashed potatoes,
Chicken bacon mushroom fetticini alreado,
Loose buger and onions over fries, fried porkchops with pork fried rice, pan fried haddock mashed potatoes and chow.... theres to many dishes to list thoose are just afew of my favorites the wife cooks over winter.

· Registered
2,973 Posts
I stayed tucked in the house today so i cooked
Leftover chicken into soup
Pizza from scratch
Oatmeal cookies only half had raisins
6 loaves of oatmeal molasses bread
Big country breakfast (ham, bacon, eggs, toast, hash browns)

Now im stuffed with good stuff and have a bit for the weekend ahead

· Administrator
11,058 Posts
My goulash is made in the largest roast pan we have.
4 cans diced tomatoes
3 cans mushrooms
900 gram pk of macaroni
2 lge onions diced and fried
3 lb burger
2 cans of tomato soup mixed in the final product
and 1 more can spread all over the top !

Into a 350 degree oven for 1 hr with lid on...remove lid and cook for 30 mins longer
BIG pan of deeeelishiousness for 2 days !

· Registered
1,159 Posts
Jasper’s 24 hour restaurant on George Street in Sydney (late seventies) had what they called a Chilli Size on the menu. A big oval hamburger paddy on an oval bun topped off with Mexican chilli with French fries on the side. This was just what a fellow needed three in the morning after several drafts the evening before.
Maybe I will have to try and duplicate the Chilli Size at home and rename it Hot and Heavy or……

· Registered
1,159 Posts
Dave , was it not you who posted a crock of homemade beans not long ago. Beans with homemade bread and green tomato chow chow.

Haha. I will say, without trying to puff myself up here, that these beans are definitely not like any old beans and brown bread. Charcoal smoked Bbq beans are the best things going. Lots of molasses and brown sugar in there to make sure they get thick and browned
Up.

· Registered
3,789 Posts
Thats another meal that I forgot about.… my mothers baked beans on a Saturday night. She would put big chunks of corned beef in it. Had the beans with a side of meat, and slice or two of brown bread.

· Registered
240 Posts
Dave , was it not you who posted a crock of homemade beans not long ago. Beans with homemade bread and green tomato chow chow.
Thats another meal that I forgot about.… my mothers baked beans on a Saturday night. She would put big chunks of corned beef in it. Had the beans with a side of meat, and slice or two of brown bread.
Now thats comfort food.I try to corn or pickle some bear deer and pork each winter.To buy a piece of corned beef is rediculously expensive, a wifes friend brought over a small piece from superstore recently and it was $18 and id say 40% of it was fat.

· Registered
4,095 Posts
Jasper’s 24 hour restaurant on George Street in Sydney (late seventies) had what they called a Chilli Size on the menu. A big oval hamburger paddy on an oval bun topped off with Mexican chilli with French fries on the side. This was just what a fellow needed three in the morning after several drafts the evening before.
Maybe I will have to try and duplicate the Chilli Size at home and rename it Hot and Heavy or……
Loved Jaspers on George St into the 90s ate there many times grownig up into my 20s b4 it closed for good .

· Registered
4,095 Posts
Spanish Onions , with Eggs in a basket of homemade bread smeared with garlic butter on both sides and browned to perfection with yolks just soft enough to be runny but cooked right . One of my comfort foods yr round .

· Registered
1,663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #98 ·
Yup back before Christmas I smoked a pot of beans to hand out to friends for Christmas. I don’t crock pot mine, don’t even own a crockpot now. Lol. I do mine on smoker. Lots of molasses and brown sugar, some bbq sauce and ketchup, chopped bacon and lots of smoke and low heat. The smell of them is just incredible.

81 - 100 of 182 Posts