Nova Scotia Hunting Forum banner
101 - 120 of 182 Posts

· Registered
3,789 Posts
We make our own Donair meat. Nothing but ground beef. Medium ground is ideal. You need fat in Donair meat. Lots of people make it with deer meat, but we prefer beef for this. I think it makes a huge difference. But that might be just my taste buds. Spice blend is pretty easy. After everything is mixed, form it in a ball and throw it on the counter many times. This will compact the meat and will be more like store-bought consistency.

· Registered
3,789 Posts
This recipe is for a 2 lb loaf
2 lb medium ground beef
2 tsp cayenne pepper
2 tsp oregano
2 tsp paprika
2 tsp garlic powder
2 tsp onion powder
1.5 tsp salt
1 tsp black pepper
Mix everything together. Form it in a ball and throw it on your counter with some force ( i usually do 30-40 times)
Shape it to a uniform size and I always wrap it in plastic and refrigerate over night.
put it on a rack on a foil lined cookie sheet (what I use)
bake at 350 for approx 1 hr or until 160-170 internal temp. Let cool … slice … and throw it in a frying pan to heat it up. I don’t do the homemade sauce. I just buy it.
**** sometimes I just bake it in a loaf pan.
**** not entirely sure if refrigerating it overnight will benefit it much or not... But I always do.

· Registered
240 Posts
2 lb medium ground beef
2 tsp cayenne pepper
2 tsp oregano
2 tsp paprika
2 tsp garlic powder
2 tsp onion powder
1.5 tsp salt
1 tsp black pepper
Mix everything together. Form it in a ball and throw it on your counter with some force ( i usually do 30-40 times)
Shape it to a uniform size and I always wrap it in plastic and refrigerate over night.
bake at 350 for approx 1 hr or until 160-170 internal temp. Let cool … slice … and throw it in a frying pan to heat it up. I don’t do the homemade sauce. I just buy it.
**** not entirely sure if refrigerating it overnight will benefit it much or not... But I always do.
Will be trying
this also thanks

· Administrator
11,058 Posts
2 lb medium ground beef
2 tsp cayenne pepper
2 tsp oregano
2 tsp paprika
2 tsp garlic powder
2 tsp onion powder
1.5 tsp salt
1 tsp black pepper
MERCI BUCKETS !!!

· Registered
3,789 Posts
All this Donair talk got me hungry ... so I made a 2 lb loaf up. Made it last night and baked it today. It calls for 2 tsp of cayenne pepper. I'm not a huge fan of "burn your trap spicy hot", so I cut it back to 1.5 tsp, and it's ok, but next time I'll cut it back to 1 tsp. Everyone's tastebuds are different.

· Registered
18,889 Posts
All this Donair talk got me hungry ... so I made a 2 lb loaf up. Made it last night and baked it today. It calls for 2 tsp of cayenne pepper. I'm not a huge fan of "burn your trap spicy hot", so I cut it back to 1.5 tsp, and it's ok, but next time I'll cut it back to 1 tsp. Everyone's tastebuds are different.
They sure are today here is take out chinese food my treat thanks to some 50 year old tiller parts I sold yesterday to a dude that came all the way from halifax for them. Says he has been looking for over a year up there and found nothing not shocked few still have the old good stuff any more. Me to keep my sugar down I fried more smelts :( Going to turn into a seal I think
Enjoy the donairs :)

· Registered
240 Posts
They sure are today here is take out chinese food my treat thanks to some 50 year old tiller parts I sold yesterday to a dude that came all the way from halifax for them. Says he has been looking for over a year up there and found nothing not shocked few still have the old good stuff any more. Me to keep my sugar down I fried more smelts :( Going to turn into a seal I think
Enjoy the donairs :)
Smelts this good only this time of year so i chow down on them too.

· Registered
240 Posts
Bear roast today nothin fancy just flopped into slow cooker on low for the day with a bottle of vh strong garlic sauce and covered with bbq pit boys poultry perfection seasoning and some thin sliced potatoes mixed in oil smoked paprika and chili salt done in air fryer😋
Food Ingredient Deep frying Recipe Tableware

Food Ingredient Tableware Recipe Mushroom
Ingredient Recipe Food Seasoning Cuisine

· Registered
1,663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #116 ·
Made up a shepherds pie last night. Kids pretty much scoffed that gone already. So today as I was home from work I made up a big pot of stew from a pair of goose wings and legs in the freezer.

· Administrator
11,058 Posts
Only 2 more sleeps then it's fish cake Friday...beans and smothered in moms home made green tomato chow !!
I'll get y'all a pic..lol

· Registered
2,973 Posts
I thought i had some salt fish in the freezer, turned out it was salt beef, ok salt fat with a small piece of beef attached
Now i gotta go buy salt fish to make the fish cakes my wife wants because i mentioned it.

· Registered
18,889 Posts
I thought i had some salt fish in the freezer, turned out it was salt beef, ok salt fat with a small piece of beef attached
Now i gotta go buy salt fish to make the fish cakes my wife wants because i mentioned it.
Have never heard of freezing salt fish I keep mine in a old fridge in the garage for months and months when I buy it and it is fine. I know if one freezes a ham the taste of salt is impossible to get out IMHO is the fish the same how does it taste vs non frozen salt fish

101 - 120 of 182 Posts