Nova Scotia Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Saw this article on Outdoor Life. Thought some on here would find it interesting. Based on the article, maybe some of the sightings of "wolves" in Nova Scotia are just that and not big coyotes.

·
Registered
3,870 Posts
Started to carry a 650 lb rated digital scale to weigh out Coyotes that are oversized IMHO, to show what weights they grow to as well keeping a log on weights of males vs females since shooting a 62.4 lb male with 22-250 few yrs back . Got called everything but a white man for saying its weight till it hit the scale both my residence and DNR scale .

It's to get that actual confirmation on oversized Coyotes thru DNA and get a non partizan true actual report to say what the % of Wolf Vs Coyote strain exists in over 60-70 lb individuals

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
always seems to be a few big ones around.

Found this, in the article, interesting;

At some point, both species interbred and that signature is carried in genetics,” says Webb. She also noted one coyote had a wolf ancestry of 89 percent. Interestingly, it was one of the smaller animals in the study, a 27-pound female. Adult male Eastern coyotes typically weigh between 45 and 55 pounds.

·
Registered
17,550 Posts
For sure . I remember that documented 65 pounder in pei and this monster on the rock

Ewen Whiteway of the Outdoor Supply Store, was also skeptical when Fleming phoned him, until it was brought to the store and weighed in at between 81-83 pounds.

“Man it was a giant. It was something like on steroids,” he said. “It might have wolf into him.”

·
Registered
882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The biologists have said for many years that eastern "coyotes" are a mixed breed of western coyotes, domestic dogs and some have included wolf in the mix. So I guess it shouldn't come as a big surprise that over time more of them carrying wolf DNA would find their way here.
Makes me wonder if DNR guidance on human-coyote interaction will change if more of them are larger and more aggressive. And, how long it will take DNR to admit wolf-coyotes are here.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I saw one about 15 years ago in our yard between Wagmatcook and Whycocomagh sniffing around our rabbit pen that had to be 75 + lbs. It was was taller than any German Shepherd I've ever seen let alone coyote. I've also seen the mythical Cape Breton couger as well which apparently doesn't exist either

·
Registered
7,447 Posts
I saw one about 15 years ago in our yard between Wagmatcook and Whycocomagh sniffing around our rabbit pen that had to be 75 + lbs. It was was taller than any German Shepherd I've ever seen let alone coyote. I've also seen the mythical Cape Breton couger as well which apparently doesn't exist either
You know I could of almost swore a cougar ran across the ighway in front of me up on Kelly’s Mtn about 25 yrs ago. Of course over time I decided I was imagining it. Still can see that image tho big big cat with a long tail

·
Registered
17,550 Posts
Exact area others seen one years ago. They said they were pets that got away from the reserve and don't give a crap but also seen a big cat in the highlands many years ago. There was three of us side by side when it came out so it was not just me and my foolish eyes
Cheers

·
Registered
882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I can easily believe there are a few cougars in Nova Scotia. But, as DNR has pointed out, no one has got clear trail camera pictures, or, provided biological samples of any kind that contain cougar DNA. So they say there are none here.
As to coyotes, I suspect many here now are actually varying degrees of coyote/dog/wolf crossbreed. The couple I've seen up close, especially the first one near Saint John 35 years ago, had very dog like features as opposed to a classic western coyote look.

·
Registered
17 Posts
You know I could of almost swore a cougar ran across the ighway in front of me up on Kelly’s Mtn about 25 yrs ago. Of course over time I decided I was imagining it. Still can see that image tho big big cat with a long tail
I hit one with my van on Kellys Mountain one time. Didn't kill it so theres no proof but it was a big cat with a long tail. Had another one run out in front of me on one of the back roads near Baddeck

·
Registered
3,420 Posts
I fully believe there were (maybe still) cougars in NS. Just from personal experience. To this day, I can't get the image out of my head. Mid 90's and I was walking back an old woods road. Saw this brown animal on the hardwood ridge walking parallel to me. Thought it was a deer. Then it comes down off the bank right towards me, and I realized it was a big cat. Bobcat I thought, until it seen me and whirled around and back up over the hill. The thing that will be forever etched in my mind, was the long tail. I started telling my story, and all of a sudden ... so and so saw it, and this one and that one saw it. It was seen by several people apparently. It's weird that no one is getting any pics nowadays. I believe there were a few around, but not so much anymore. Here's the "conspiracy theorist" coming out in me .... don't spit your coffee out Joe ... I believe some were introduced in various parts of the province by Lands and Forest to help control the deer population. Maybe mid to late 80's ?? Maybe thats why it states in our handbook, year after year, that it is illegal to kill cougars in NS. People swear that they have seen cougars. Surely, all those seasoned hunters must have known what they were seeing.

·
Registered
17,550 Posts
I fully believe there were (maybe still) cougars in NS. Just from personal experience. To this day, I can't get the image out of my head. Mid 90's and I was walking back an old woods road. Saw this brown animal on the hardwood ridge walking parallel to me. Thought it was a deer. Then it comes down off the bank right towards me, and I realized it was a big cat. Bobcat I thought, until it seen me and whirled around and back up over the hill. The thing that will be forever etched in my mind, was the long tail. I started telling my story, and all of a sudden ... so and so saw it, and this one and that one saw it. It was seen by several people apparently. It's weird that no one is getting any pics nowadays. I believe there were a few around, but not so much anymore. Here's the "conspiracy theorist" coming out in me .... don't spit your coffee out Joe ... I believe some were introduced in various parts of the province by Lands and Forest to help control the deer population. Maybe mid to late 80's ?? Maybe thats why it states in our handbook, year after year, that it is illegal to kill cougars in NS. People swear that they have seen cougars. Surely, all those seasoned hunters must have known what they were seeing.
You won't get that from me this time I agree with you
I seen one years ago 100% and there was one seen many times where we hunted in red islands, tore a horse to f'k one day and many seen it. In fact the old lady who lived on the land where I hunted said one day Joe you and Wayne best be careful up there deer hunting I am seeing a cougar now on the hill and the horse was torn up may be 4 miles down the road from her
DNR told us it was a pet that got away from chappel island where some first nations had them. I could never prove that one way or the other
And guess when all of this was and I seen mine mid 80's

·
Registered
3,870 Posts
I know some here on the Cape heard the story of Wolves ( Sterilized) that were released in the highlands with tracking collars on to find and locate if needed , many believed it was a hoax , many believed it to be true as means of testing the waters to control moose populations , What ever I've never seen or come across any evidence thru travels of the highlands , not saying it was true or false .

Now as for cougars , we spotted one about 18 yrs ago in the back side of Loch Lomond going up a river to a small water fall fishing and hiking the river on a family trip my wife had her 35 mm pocket camera and snapped just one pic of what we believed to be a young cougar . It came off a steep hill side , jumped over onto a big flat rock looked at us and growled with a scream only a cougar itself would make. My wife already had her camera out for pics of myself and the kids fishing and hiking , the cat turned and ran back up the same hill side into thicket where it came from . 2 hours from our vehicle up a back wood river where we hiked in from Grand Mira side.

My concern was for the kids and my wife , she got only one pic that showed 3/4 of the animal running , DNR was given a pic to prove what we seen and never heard anything more after that outta them only to state we should stay away from that area. ( would not confirm or deny its species ) We still hike that river , never a sighting after that . Must go thru the albulms to find a copy or the negative of those pics she took that day . Was not hard from what we seen myself our 3 kids and my wife all clearly seen it , we even compared our picture to the wildlife park cougars and no doubt what we spotted .

I for one believe its small population of animals once here but now believe it was once again a test to see how other predators would help control large game in Nova Scotia .

As for Wolves , DNA has been found in coyote populations , hence Coy Wolf term , average full size I get down on the Cape is 50 -65 lbs , even got called out by other trappers on a 62 lb specimen( Weighed in ) I shot with 22-250 . Just because some guys only get 30-55 specimens does not mean larger ones do not exist . I'm firm believer the Cape has it's own sub species , one time all we had was the lone wild dog that roamed from getting away and adapted to living in the wilderness , guys would look after that in their own way .

This is IMHO , My own observations and opinions .

·
Registered
882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I know they exist in southern New Brunswick because my brother and mother saw one at the back of our property in Riverview about 1970. So really not that that far from Nova Scotia as cougars have a large territory.

As you say, I find it hard to imagine numerous reliable people all being mistaken in what they saw over the years. Still, no one has trapped, run over, shot or even caught one on a trail camera so you have to wonder.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts