Nova Scotia Hunting Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Saw this article on Outdoor Life. Thought some on here would find it interesting. Based on the article, maybe some of the sightings of "wolves" in Nova Scotia are just that and not big coyotes.

·
Registered
3,797 Posts
Started to carry a 650 lb rated digital scale to weigh out Coyotes that are oversized IMHO, to show what weights they grow to as well keeping a log on weights of males vs females since shooting a 62.4 lb male with 22-250 few yrs back . Got called everything but a white man for saying its weight till it hit the scale both my residence and DNR scale .

It's to get that actual confirmation on oversized Coyotes thru DNA and get a non partizan true actual report to say what the % of Wolf Vs Coyote strain exists in over 60-70 lb individuals

·
Registered
2,899 Posts
always seems to be a few big ones around.

Found this, in the article, interesting;

At some point, both species interbred and that signature is carried in genetics,” says Webb. She also noted one coyote had a wolf ancestry of 89 percent. Interestingly, it was one of the smaller animals in the study, a 27-pound female. Adult male Eastern coyotes typically weigh between 45 and 55 pounds.

·
Registered
17,024 Posts
For sure . I remember that documented 65 pounder in pei and this monster on the rock

Ewen Whiteway of the Outdoor Supply Store, was also skeptical when Fleming phoned him, until it was brought to the store and weighed in at between 81-83 pounds.

“Man it was a giant. It was something like on steroids,” he said. “It might have wolf into him.”

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The biologists have said for many years that eastern "coyotes" are a mixed breed of western coyotes, domestic dogs and some have included wolf in the mix. So I guess it shouldn't come as a big surprise that over time more of them carrying wolf DNA would find their way here.
Makes me wonder if DNR guidance on human-coyote interaction will change if more of them are larger and more aggressive. And, how long it will take DNR to admit wolf-coyotes are here.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts