Nova Scotia Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A 34-year-old woman was shot and killed in a hunting-related accident in Hebron on Saturday, the first day of the year that deer hunting with a firearm is permitted. Maine Warden Service spokesman John MacDonald said the incident took place this morning off the Greenwood Mountain Road, where the woman was about 200 to 300 yards off the road in a wooded area. The Warden Service is still trying to determine what the woman was doing in that area. The hunting party that the shooter was a part of called in the accident. MacDonald said this is the first fatal hunting related accident to occur in Maine in four years. No further details were immediately available Saturday afternoon.

http://bangordailynews.com/2017/10/28/news/mid-maine/woman-killed-in-hunting-accident-in-hebron/

Authorities have identified the shooter as a 38-year-old man who was part of a small hunting party that included at least one other person. He was being interviewed by the Maine Warden Service. John MacDonald, spokesman for the Maine Department of Inland Fisheries and Wildlife, said officials are still trying to determine exactly what the woman was doing in the area. Wardens say they don't know whether she was hunting or in the woods for another reason, the Sun Journal reported. "It looks as if she was alone, and we don't have any other witnesses on her behalf, so that's what's making it a little more difficult," MacDonald said. MacDonald did not immediately release the names of the woman or the hunter who shot her. He said more information would be released on Sunday.

http://www.pressherald.com/2017/10/28/woman-killed-in-hunting-accident-in-hebron/

·
Registered
3 Posts
This is really tragic for the person that was killed and her family and friends and will also have a profound effect on the life of the hunter involved. It is also the kind of thing that makes headlines and gives hunters a bad name so it affects all of us. Following proper safety checks before pulling the trigger is essential and it is a real pity that there will always be someone who will shoot without making sure he or she sees the quarry clearly. We all lose when these kinds of thing happen....

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Karen Wrentzel, 34, of Hebron was not hunting Saturday when she was shot in a wooded area off Greenwood Mountain Road, where she lived, according to the Maine Warden Service.

http://bangordailynews.com/2017/10/29/news/mid-maine/woman-killed-in-hebron-hunting-incident-identified/

Karen Wrentzel, 34, of 490 Greenwood Mountain Road in Hebron was identified by the Maine Warden Service Sunday afternoon as the victim of the hunting incident on her land in Hebron. The incident took place about 200-300 yards off Greenwood Mountain Road in the Oxford County town near the Minot town line at about 10:30 a.m. Autumn Banks of Lewiston, a longtime friend of Wrentzel, said Wrentzel recently moved into her grandmother's home on Greenwood Mountain Road to keep an eye on her and work on the land, which was posted ("No Hunting"). Jon Spofford of Hebron, Wrentzel's uncle, remembered his niece in a Facebook post; he said in his post that his niece was shot while on her own land.

http://www.pressherald.com/2017/10/29/woman-killed-in-hunting-incident-lived-in-hebron/

·
Registered
17,372 Posts
Karen Wrentzel, 34, of Hebron was not hunting Saturday when she was shot in a wooded area off Greenwood Mountain Road, where she lived, according to the Maine Warden Service.

http://bangordailynews.com/2017/10/29/news/mid-maine/woman-killed-in-hebron-hunting-incident-identified/

Karen Wrentzel, 34, of 490 Greenwood Mountain Road in Hebron was identified by the Maine Warden Service Sunday afternoon as the victim of the hunting incident on her land in Hebron. The incident took place about 200-300 yards off Greenwood Mountain Road in the Oxford County town near the Minot town line at about 10:30 a.m. Autumn Banks of Lewiston, a longtime friend of Wrentzel, said Wrentzel recently moved into her grandmother's home on Greenwood Mountain Road to keep an eye on her and work on the land, which was posted ("No Hunting"). Jon Spofford of Hebron, Wrentzel's uncle, remembered his niece in a Facebook post; he said in his post that his niece was shot while on her own land.

http://www.pressherald.com/2017/10/29/woman-killed-in-hunting-incident-lived-in-hebron/
Bad enough to happen but on your own private posted land I honestly hope the hunter gets the book tossed at him. The hunter had no business even being there then again maybe they have something stupid in their act like Nova Scotia

Real sad for the family

Cheers

·
Registered
789 Posts
I was thinking about the possibility of accidents on Saturday as I drove through Wentworth Valley. I saw a group of middle age to retired age people entering a trail for a hike or something. It wasn't part of a park. The weather is so warm we are getting an overlap between people entering the woods for different purposes, and only people there for one purpose need to wear orange. I don't blame the victim, but I'm just saying that with the warm weather there can be different things stirring in the woods that are not wearing orange.

It was Maine where my Dad went to take a leak off highway #9 many years ago, and overheard some hunters...

"Get anything?"

"No. But I got some good sound shots."

·
Registered
17,372 Posts
Understand you don't blame the owner but it sounds like

One has to wear hunters orange on their own private land that is posted for no hunting to be safe to be outside during hunting season

Think seriously about that one or maybe hunters should take a minute and make sure what they are shooting and even better stop hunting where they have ZERO permission to do so

IMO the hikers you mention have just as much right to be there in their street clothes as anyone hunting and shouldn't have to worry about any hunter picking them off because they don't wear hunters orange

Being a hunter and having a family that owned hecters for over 100 years we have seen it all with hunters and the funny part it is always deer hunters that give the problems

They seem to forget that just because they drove 30 minutes out of the city to get there that maybe someone lives behind those trees and they are not in the middle of no where like many think.Most also have no clue what that rifle they are carrying is capable of with respect to dangerous distances and getting that deer is the only focus

Also don't think for one minute we don't have sound shooters in Nova scotia

Cheers

·
Registered
3,325 Posts
It is beyond me .... whether wearing hunter orange or not.... how someone mistakes a human being for a deer. It boggles my mind. Is there something in their brain that triggers something and all you see or hear are deer ??? I’m 100%sure that every hunter in the woods can tell the difference between a human and a deer, but when you enter the woods in search of a deer.... your brain switches gears. I believe its a psychological thing. Most can deal with these mind swings... but there are a few that cant. They shoot at any sound or anything they see that somewhat resembles a deer. Take the time to make sure of your target and beyond. Never take for granted that being on your own private, posted land that you are safe. Maybe when hunting season approaches .... public announcements on the radio or in the newspapers telling the public that hunting season starts “ on Friday”.... the people might wear some blaze orange when entering the woods. Hunters certainly know when the season starts, but I’m sure a lot of the non hunters have no idea when it opens.

·
Registered
909 Posts
I pick off the lady in town and it is murder, I buy a deer licence put on some orange and pick her off on her own property and it is a hunting accident ???

Humm pretty easy way to get rid of someone one would think and IMO a percentage of these are just that

Cheers
Pretty obvious, you aren't allowed to hunt in town(unless it's another one of those stupid Maine laws, eh), so it wouldn't be considered a hunting accident.

·
Registered
17,372 Posts
Pretty obvious, you aren't allowed to hunt in town(unless it's another one of those stupid Maine laws, eh), so it wouldn't be considered a hunting accident.
Yep but they do it here anyhow you know what I am getting at. To me a hunting accident is I am hunting and I fire a shot and it hits something hard and the bullet comes back and kills me or my bud standing by me not some hunter that takes aim at some woman and kills her because he thought it was a deer

That to me is murder plain and simple and should be called as such with the same penalty as if it happened in town

Cheers

·
Registered
7,452 Posts
Tragic to say the least.Gotta agree with Bucky how can you mistake a person for a deer? What's a mature deer,3 feet tall?
I've seen people in the woods numerous times during hunting season and never shot a single one! I do explain to them that they should wear Hunter orange but most just don't see the need or want to waste their money on such things.They don't realize it may just save their life. WE AS HUNTERS MUST ALWAYS MAKE SURE OF OUR TARGET AND WHATS BEYOND !

·
Registered
476 Posts

·
Registered
7,452 Posts
3mac 1 - your one post up there makes you sound like an anti; anti hunting and anti city folk! I lived in the city my entire life and never shot anyone or trespassed.
You are right,hikers etc have as much right to walk through the woods as us.But most country folk know when hunting season is and the dangers of such.Most do wear Hunter orange while out in the woods ( their property or not ) because it's common sense to.No, they shouldn't HAVE too,but why take the chance.Times have changed,Joe, there's a lot of half azz hunters out there that just want to kill something,many shouldn't even be allowed to own a gun,but unfortunately they can and do.
ACCIDENTAL SHOOTINGS MAKE US ALL LOOK BAD.
Maybe the government needs to make it mandatory for all to wear Hunter orange while in the woods during hunting season,just like they made seat belts and bike helmets mandatory.Although I myself would be opposed to such a law it may just save a life here or there.

·
Registered
909 Posts
Yep but they do it here anyhow you know what I am getting at. To me a hunting accident is I am hunting and I fire a shot and it hits something hard and the bullet comes back and kills me or my bud standing by me not some hunter that takes aim at some woman and kills her because he thought it was a deer

That to me is murder plain and simple and should be called as such with the same penalty as if it happened in town,

Cheers
I may be wrong...again...but to me, murder means intent and maybe I'm wrong...again... but this doesn't sound like it was the hunters intent to kill that woman. If I'm wrong...again...then hang him. Hell, I'll buy the rope.

·
Registered
789 Posts
Understand you don't blame the owner but it sounds like

One has to wear hunters orange on their own private land that is posted for no hunting to be safe to be outside during hunting season

Think seriously about that one or maybe hunters should take a minute and make sure what they are shooting and even better stop hunting where they have ZERO permission to do so

IMO the hikers you mention have just as much right to be there in their street clothes as anyone hunting and shouldn't have to worry about any hunter picking them off because they don't wear hunters orange

Being a hunter and having a family that owned hecters for over 100 years we have seen it all with hunters and the funny part it is always deer hunters that give the problems

They seem to forget that just because they drove 30 minutes out of the city to get there that maybe someone lives behind those trees and they are not in the middle of no where like many think.Most also have no clue what that rifle they are carrying is capable of with respect to dangerous distances and getting that deer is the only focus

Also don't think for one minute we don't have sound shooters in Nova scotia

Cheers
The way I look at it, it isn't like figuring out who is at fault in an auto accident. Throw away that model. Think instead: accident prevention.

This type of thinking is strong in industries like aviation. There are protocols, flashing lights, strobes, air traffic control, safe practices like kneeboard check lists, etc. It isn't about figuring out who is at fault after, but about creating multiple layers of safety, and making sure "just in case" thinking is practiced.

People who hunt or hike often don't have this. Hikers go by nothing at all, just roam around in the woods - don't start forest fires, don't feed the bears, and don't get lost is all they go by. Hunters may or may not follow the rule to verify what you are shooting at. I'm thinking traditionally some hunters shot "in case" they got something. For example, a guy in Newfoundland who shot a pair of pink flamingos in the 1970's. The quote from him: "how would it come into your mind that they would be pink flamingos". So people give him a break because that sort of bird should never exist in Newfoundland. But as a hunter, I say he's an idiot because he shot at an unknown thing - probably a movement or sound. He obviously didn't identify the target very well. The other source is the old hunting regulations booklet someone shared here - it mentioned how many people had been injured or dead in the prior year and it was something like 18.

So I think our accident numbers are way down from 50 years ago or prior - combination of safety practices like unloading during transport and controlling muzzle direction at all times as well as blaze orange. In addition, I think alcohol and handling firearms is now a taboo more so than it was many years ago. For example, I recall my grandfather joking about his friend pouring rye on the ground to attract a moose with a sound like another moose peeing. I'm sure he valued the rye to not do that, but I can believe they had some rye with them as they hunted, and not just after sundown.

There are many hunters who have confidence that most hunters are solid and trustworthy people. But at the same time many of you have stories of very poor behaviours going on out there. Poachers, people ruining property, lying about land ownership, etc. There is enough room in the variations of people that there will always be some who shoot when they should not. And that is why everyone should wear orange outside in the woods this time of the year, whether they are in their right to not wear it has nothing to do with it. Do you prefer to be dead but within your rights? The case in Maine is very unusual, but the example I saw in Wentworth Valley was crown or woodlands full of hunters judging by all the stopped empty trucks. I know there is a group in Wolfville organized by the "We're Outside" store, and they advocate hikers wearing orange for this time of year. It is just a safe thing to do. Not everytime a person says "should" means there has to be a law. We're very sensitive to suggestions about additional laws as hunters and firearms owners, but this "should" can be suggested without some sort of regulation on it. It is more like "you should brush your teeth" - sensible advice for anyone to take up.

·
Registered
909 Posts
The way I look at it, it isn't like figuring out who is at fault in an auto accident. Throw away that model. Think instead: accident prevention.

This type of thinking is strong in industries like aviation. There are protocols, flashing lights, strobes, air traffic control, safe practices like kneeboard check lists, etc. It isn't about figuring out who is at fault after, but about creating multiple layers of safety, and making sure "just in case" thinking is practiced.

People who hunt or hike often don't have this. Hikers go by nothing at all, just roam around in the woods - don't start forest fires, don't feed the bears, and don't get lost is all they go by. Hunters may or may not follow the rule to verify what you are shooting at. I'm thinking traditionally some hunters shot "in case" they got something. For example, a guy in Newfoundland who shot a pair of pink flamingos in the 1970's. The quote from him: "how would it come into your mind that they would be pink flamingos". So people give him a break because that sort of bird should never exist in Newfoundland. But as a hunter, I say he's an idiot because he shot at an unknown thing - probably a movement or sound. He obviously didn't identify the target very well. The other source is the old hunting regulations booklet someone shared here - it mentioned how many people had been injured or dead in the prior year and it was something like 18.

So I think our accident numbers are way down from 50 years ago or prior - combination of safety practices like unloading during transport and controlling muzzle direction at all times as well as blaze orange. In addition, I think alcohol and handling firearms is now a taboo more so than it was many years ago. For example, I recall my grandfather joking about his friend pouring rye on the ground to attract a moose with a sound like another moose peeing. I'm sure he valued the rye to not do that, but I can believe they had some rye with them as they hunted, and not just after sundown.

There are many hunters who have confidence that most hunters are solid and trustworthy people. But at the same time many of you have stories of very poor behaviours going on out there. Poachers, people ruining property, lying about land ownership, etc. There is enough room in the variations of people that there will always be some who shoot when they should not. And that is why everyone should wear orange outside in the woods this time of the year, whether they are in their right to not wear it has nothing to do with it. Do you prefer to be dead but within your rights? The case in Maine is very unusual, but the example I saw in Wentworth Valley was crown or woodlands full of hunters judging by all the stopped empty trucks. I know there is a group in Wolfville organized by the "We're Outside" store, and they advocate hikers wearing orange for this time of year. It is just a safe thing to do. Not everytime a person says "should" means there has to be a law. We're very sensitive to suggestions about additional laws as hunters and firearms owners, but this "should" can be suggested without some sort of ,on it. It is more like "you should brush your teeth" - sensible advice for anyone to take up.
good post labradort, very well put, work safe, play safe, be safe. be alive. Such a sad and senseless event.

·
Registered
17,372 Posts
3mac 1 - your one post up there makes you sound like an anti; anti hunting and anti city folk! I lived in the city my entire life and never shot anyone or trespassed.
You are right,hikers etc have as much right to walk through the woods as us.But most country folk know when hunting season is and the dangers of such.Most do wear Hunter orange while out in the woods ( their property or not ) because it's common sense to.No, they shouldn't HAVE too,but why take the chance.Times have changed,Joe, there's a lot of half azz hunters out there that just want to kill something,many shouldn't even be allowed to own a gun,but unfortunately they can and do.
ACCIDENTAL SHOOTINGS MAKE US ALL LOOK BAD.
Maybe the government needs to make it mandatory for all to wear Hunter orange while in the woods during hunting season,just like they made seat belts and bike helmets mandatory.Although I myself would be opposed to such a law it may just save a life here or there.
So now I am an anti. :) Dam almost as bad as a city boy I guess as my grandma would say

Believe me you don't what the likes of me joining the anti's plus they don't need any help we are doing just fine screwing everything up with respect to hunting all by ourselves

Think about this over your coffee you have no right in canada to own firearms nor unless under a treaty have any right to hunt

You make up 3.5% as hunters of the population in Nova Scotia so why in the hell should the general public be forced to do anything because we want to hunt or it is hunting season

See years ago we had to hunt to eat so it was accepted not the case in 2017. It is nothing more here than another recreational sport

However it is one of the few if not only recreational sports that potentially endangers everyone in the general area not just the willing participants and that is how a high percentage of the general population sees it

So combine that with stuff like this that makes the news and papers from 2015 from our hunting buds plus there is a 2016 version also somewhere and ask your self where hunters stand. Pretty thin ice as I see it and some ask me why I am orange head to toe now

Year ago I took hunting for granted that it would always be there however to me now it a privilege to hunt in 2017 one in which I must follow every law or requirement exactly and make dam sure I do nothing to piss the general population off especially land owners or I won't be hunting too much longer. We just don't have the numbers of hunters or general support any more

Just my 2 cents

This was printed and on the news

There have been about 1,500 charges laid in relation to illegal hunting in Nova Scotia within the last four years and despite rules banning the practice people are still firing guns close to highways and buildings.

Information obtained data under the Freedom of Information and Privacy Act relating to incidents between January 2011 and October 2015. It shows the province issued about 2,077 warnings in addition to the charges.

Hunting regulations prohibit hunters from having a loaded gun in a vehicle and from firing within 30 metres of a highway. This means it's illegal to park along the side of the highway and shoot from the comfort of a vehicle.

Despite this, there were 66 charges tied to transporting a loaded firearm in a vehicle or a boat and 63 charges for discharging a gun or bow across or near a highway.

Fourteen of the charges for firing near a highway happened this year, with 10 convictions and one case that has yet to go to trial.

On yes hard to shoot anyone when you miss 30 yard shots :)

·
Registered
7,452 Posts
BIG MAC didnt say you were an anti said you sounded somewhat like one and was half joking bud.
Yes we are a very small portion of the general population and yes we are on thin ice when it comes to both hunting and shooting
No I dont want you joining the antis
AND US CITY BOYS ARE NOT ALL NUT CASES some of us have nothing against you country bumpkins!!!
Yes it is hard to shoot someone if you miss at 30 yds,guess I'm probably the only guy here that ever missed at close range
SO GO AHEAD- rub it in - rub it in- but you CANT get under my skin!!!! LOL ( or the only one willing to admit to it !)
Take care -JOE

·
Registered
17,372 Posts
BIG MAC didnt say you were an anti said you sounded somewhat like one and was half joking bud.
Yes we are a very small portion of the general population and yes we are on thin ice when it comes to both hunting and shooting
No I dont want you joining the antis
AND US CITY BOYS ARE NOT ALL NUT CASES some of us have nothing against you country bumpkins!!!
Yes it is hard to shoot someone if you miss at 30 yds,guess I'm probably the only guy here that ever missed at close range
SO GO AHEAD- rub it in - rub it in- but you CANT get under my skin!!!! LOL ( or the only one willing to admit to it !)
Take care -JOE
It's all good

take care :)

mKiiiAU.jpg

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.