Nova Scotia Hunting Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Watch out for a Moultrie A-5 on the cheap. I know it's already a cheap one but some turds walked away with one of ours last night on the Aylesford rd fire lane. Said camera can be identified by the gasket around the motion sensor, which had come loose, had been reapplied with black silicone and it definitely does not look factory. I HATE PEOPLE.

I would also direct anyone to not hunt this area of the valley. Very very overcrowded with people roaming around constantly looking for an easy kill, probably from the seat of the truck. Had many people drive up on our site (3 in one morning) and literally see us in the blind, and like this one retard, continue to drive up into the area, making all kinds of noise, stop and scan the area and be a complete turd and say "well, I guess I'll leave you be" after being awkwardly unsocial.

Wow, can you believe this guy. You guess you'll leave us be??? No please. Stick around. If all your noise hasen't drove off any deer please feel free to shoot the first one that pops out. We don't mind.

On our way out today after an incredibly disappointing season it was blatantly obvious to see how many just roam from spot to spot looking for that easy kill. Or looking for stuff to steal, or just acting stupid. Our first major dusting of snow revealed the same vehicle tracks going in and out of every single turn off from the main fire lane. including where we were set up. I understand it's a free country but It would be nice to not see someone on the trail cam walking all over your set up, scapes, bait etc. Fellow hunter respect is hard to come by around here.

Thanks for listening.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Sorry to hear about the trail cam and the Hollywood hunters. I am so fortunate to not have to deal with this crap. I hunt on my own land with zero hunters there. ....well, other than me. There are some very inconsiderate people out there.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Sorry to hear about cam it really sucks to know another supposed hunter took your cam. Just happened to me recently. To bad you couldn't buy a licence to hunt thieves might make them think twice. Not much you can do head up and carry on. Good luck

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Kingrancher, I am so jealous you have your own land. I would love to have the same. Hopefully in the future. Until then I will try to ask permission to hunt someone's land to get away from the disappointment. Thanks for the support from yourself and Huntcb. I agree Huntcb. If there was a licence for that I would be sure to buy a tag.

·
Registered
631 Posts
One of the reasons I don't like snow. It's unfortunate because snow is great for deer movement but there are so many unethical people around that love to follow tracks and find your blind. It's then all down hill from there!
I don't blame you for going on the cheap. You feel bad enough without them walking away with a $600 Reconyx!

·
Registered
907 Posts
YA I agree with ya deertroy1, But unlike some others, thats one camera I would never leave in the woods under any circumstances, unless of course it was on my own private land and in a place I knew for sure no one else was around. Even then I'd have a hard time doing it I think lololol

JW

·
Registered
494 Posts
After months of hard work this was absolutely crushing to witness. I started scouting for deer on those firelanes late august and after 2-3 weeks of hard work many miles on the atv, and many miles walking through choppins and forest, I finally found a few spots with good sign. The best spot was where mooseknuckles trail cam was finally stolen on the Thursday before general season closed. The other spots were over run by bear and other hunters early on in, which was not to bad because this spot was an absolute honey hole. The only down side is that it's easy to access. I kept a close eye on it for weeks making sure that no one went up there. If someone had of we would have pulled up shop and moved on. Being new to deer hunting and new to deer season on those firelanes, we had no idea the amount of traffic, and greasy road side hunters that would eventually over run and ruin a spot that showed promise of 2 guys getting their first deer.

Opening day of the season came upon us and that's where it all began, rolling up 30 min before sun up there was camper parked at the entrance to the logging road to our spot. Not a single foot print or mark pre-season, but once the season opened there were weekly visitors, than those weekly visitors turned to daily visitors, and finally the visitors turned into low life thieves (hope there house burns down). The weeks leading up to the season had resulted in 4 shooter bucks, 2-3 spikes, and a handful of doe eatin over 500lbs of apples. After the season got going we maybe got 5 pics of deer and multiple pics of guys walking over the pile.
We did try setting up various other sites, just couldn't find where the deer got pushed back to. I learnt my lesson the hard way for next year, no apples, go where no lazy SOB will walk in, ruin your season, and steal your shit, and hide the trail cam. There rant over, it's going to take a few weeks and a few bottles of rum to get over this season, but hey at least we got to try bear for the first time, and rumnog season is upon us. We'll get 'em next year MOOSEKNUCKLES (camel toes ugly cousin).

·
Registered
907 Posts
I feel for ya man.. But I'm just going to throw this out there for what's it's worth. When I lived in your area years ago,, I used to take my Canoe and paddle across some lakes or stills and get away from the majority or hunters. I have set up on Islands and found those places very productive. Yes Deer will swim out to an island to get away from predators etc. Believe it or not, I've often been quietly paddling passed some islands and would bump the paddle against the canoe (purposely in a good spot) and have had deer stand up to see what all the noise was about. You may think this is far fetched but I'm telling you the truth. If I was in your area, i'd still be doing it today. So there is the answer to your problem, Put the apples in your canoe make a trip once a week to keep the deer interested and your good to go when the season opens.

Cheers

JW

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
Took a nice 8 point one year on a very small island...it was only an island part of the year as it is a dam controlled lake. Usually an island during the fall...waist deep to cross to it......I spotted a buck from off island and took an 80 yard or so shot to get it...then got soaked wading to the island but was happy...and cold...to do so. Have checked this spot a hundred times since but despite tracks I have never seen one there again...but a few years later a friend and I were having a lunch on the lake shore when a hunter appeared around the shore...he had blood on him and I asked if he needed help...he said no thanks but he would be right back...needed to get his canoe so he wouldn't have a long drag...yup...he shot a very large 9 point on the same island...he had walked to it as the water was only knee deep at this time...we helped him load it from the canoe to his truck when he returned.....just a matter of timing....sorry for the interlude....now back to regular programing.

Butch

·
Registered
3,395 Posts
When access is easy to you ,its easy for everyone else too,albeit it doesn t give anyone any right to steal your stuff or purposely aggrevate you either.This is an all to regular occurence going on and the unfortunate part is that one has to expect this behaviour and plan for it by taking measures of stealth,the best way is to make it harder for them by making your location accesabilty part of your set up choice,remember these slobs arent into effort or work so maker hard for them ,get back and away use a gps and access your spot from different directions to lessen the trails.None of this guarentees this wont happen again but will contribute to the lessening of the odds of it and increase your odds for success perhaps!

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
You're right HW we need to expect that there are scumbags who will steal cams and should take measures to protect our property. For me I normally have another cam hidden away which would have caught the thieves but had recently removed it. Also, this cam wasn't on the private property which I hunt on (with permission) so another measure is to stick to the private property. As far as locks go - well that won't stop these thieves (as you mentioned on another post).

·
Registered
155 Posts
I am familiar with this area and hunted it several years ago and this post does not surprise me one bit . It's twiddle dumb twiddle dee and if ya go farther west it's even worse.

·
Registered
494 Posts
We did have another camera set up about 20ft away but it was a long 10 second walk up a hill so the thieves never found it. Again I hop their tree catches on fire and their house burns to the flipping ground (children unharmed, they don't know their parent(s) are pieces of shit). We had 6 vids on that cam and were praying we would catch the culprit but it only took videos of the snow fall.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Had nothing stolen but sounds a lot like where I was set up. People always in and out with vehicles or walking, some drove right over my apple pile others just stop and have their back to my camera (same guy a few times) so I cant see who they are, people driving by the fields behind me to get an easy road shot on a deer. Kinda ruined my spot for me this year. I feel you pain, put time and effort into my area year round spend lots of money and just to have people ruin it like that is a killer. Pulled out last week and changed spots for next year.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts