Nova Scotia Hunting Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Did they change the age to 14 for youth deer hunting?? in NS
I didnot think so but maybe they did and I missed it
Or is it a Only on the cape moment. We have a dude this morning all over face book with pics of his son and his son's deer that he shot and he is 14 years old and even states that
IMO he best get that off there. I am not on face book but the mrs showed and asked me this morning
I said I would double check in case I missed it but I cannot see it in the regs. I know it was talked about some years ago but did it ever happen

·
Registered
15,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nope didnt change that i know of
12 for small game
16 for big game
Both must be supervised by a responsible adult over 18
Thanks Exactly what the last regs I could find said
I hope someone sends him a note soon to get that off there
Cheers

·
Registered
15,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Every hunter should wear hunter orange when other hunters are in the woods for the safety of all participants.
Agree 100%
Anyone that thinks different has never been shot at
I told the story before brother and I walking out on a pole line at dusk back in the red checkered shirt days and the next thing a tree exploded about 4 feet in front of us BANG
Idiot on the top of the pole line shooting at us
He ran like crazy after we stepped out and started hollering
After that both of us full orange once we could get it even poop paper
Cheers

·
Registered
15,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
in my experience in dealing with govt's, these things usually take a while - contradictory stuff usually has to go through a few people.
IMO it is ridiculous that they don't provide accurate information to all especially instructors
Cheers

·
Registered
15,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
The Summary booklet is rather clear cut on the issue. However the Summary Booklet is not the act. Section 13 of the Act has one section (Sub Para) where it implies it is Ok to take the Orange off, while another section (Sub Para) states that it is not in overlapping seasons. Plus the CO In Kentville, which i placed his comment above, also states Hunter Orange is required. For us Trappers, in the General Rifle Season, we even have to wear Hunter Orange while in forested areas. To think that a Hunter in a blind or stand can go without it...well.... However most wear nothing but Camo these days...Looking forward to what Gary gets back..
Sounds like the unloaded muzzy debate to me :)
Clear but not clear once investigated further
Cheers

·
Registered
15,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
it could be in the pics they had their orange vest over their coat, and then during field dressing they took the coat off with the vest still on it. Possibility.

personally I have never had an issue with having to wear it. I don’t understand why anyone takes issue with having to. Deer are Color blind anyway, or mostly at least.

and Although it seems silly to need it while sitting way up a tree, that 10’ elevation only seems high when you are at the base of that tree. as Soon as you are on the other side of that field or cutting, 10’ up might look like ground level from there.

Back to the original topic I really wish they would lower the ages for hunting here. It’s a little ridiculous to have to wait until 16 to get a kid out deer hunting.
IMO they can kill you just as quick with a shotgun as a rifle so why different
Cheers

·
Registered
15,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
I don’t understand what your point is 3macs about me saying that having to wait until 16 is ridiculous. I may just be misunderstanding it but do you imply that kids are too dangerous to let them deer hunt younger? Or do you think the shotgun age of 12 is too young also?
No I am saying if they can hunt with a shotgun at 12 why not a rifle also. I started shooting shotgun and reloading for it at age 8 and never hurt any one
Cheers

·
Registered
15,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
Don't know why some are stuck on the fact they have to use a rifle
Let them use their shotgun with buckshot or slugs and hunt under 16 over 16 allow the rifle. My first few deer were all with a 16ga and slug
In fact my old bud in his 70's who pretty much gets his deer every year has never owned a rifle that I can remember old 12ga gets them
Cheers

1 - 8 of 8 Posts