Nova Scotia Hunting Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Pretty much every day there are illegal Pics posted all over those Hunting Groups. The biggest one for me is that it appears no one wears Hunter Orange anymore..

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
I know some people take it off for pics but id be willing to bet some dont wear it
I really do not buy that. Why take it off? Most of these folks are not wearing it at all, they Hunt in Camo...Some brag about it too... We are our own worst enemies...

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
you do not have to wear it in your blind.
You sure do Gary, after the start of the Regular Rifle season....it is obligitory..
Mandatory Hunter Orange
All persons hunting or attempting to hunt wildlife and any person
accompanying them while hunting shall wear a cap or hat and a shirt,
vest or coat of hunter orange or camouflage orange that is plainly
visible from all sides. This also applies to all rabbit hunters and
person snaring or trapping.
It does not apply to persons who are:
• in a tree stand or blind while hunting deer during a season when
deer hunting with a center-fire rifle is not permitted.
Note: The
periods when deer hunting with a center-fire rifle is permitted
include both the open season for hunting deer under a General
Deer Hunting Licence (last Friday in October to 1st Saturday in
December) and the Special Youth Season for Hunting Deer (1st
Friday after Oct 10th until the 2nd Saturday following).
• licenced furharvesters who are not on forested land and who possess

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
you do not have to wear it in your blind.
You sure do Gary, after the start of the Regular Rifle season....
Mandatory Hunter Orange
All persons hunting or attempting to hunt wildlife and any person
accompanying them while hunting shall wear a cap or hat and a shirt,
vest or coat of hunter orange or camouflage orange that is plainly
visible from all sides. This also applies to all rabbit hunters and
person snaring or trapping.
It does not apply to persons who are:
• in a tree stand or blind while hunting deer during a season when
deer hunting with a center-fire rifle is not permitted. Note: The
periods when deer hunting with a center-fire rifle is permitted
include both the open season for hunting deer under a General
Deer Hunting Licence (last Friday in October to 1st Saturday in
December) and the Special Youth Season for Hunting Deer (1st
Friday after Oct 10th until the 2nd Saturday following).
• licenced furharvesters who are not on forested land and who possess
So the question would be are the pics posted of hunters without hunter orange, posted during the primitive firearm season or during the centre fire firearm season?
So the question would be are the pics posted of hunters without hunter orange, posted during the primitive firearm season or during the centre fire firearm season?
The ones that i am seeing of late are all this week, last week taken with Rifle..There are lots of them, if you follow the Hunting groups on FB. I also know of a few, last year that received fines for it...

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
It certainly contradicts what I posred from the same Regs regarding Mandatory Hunter Orange. I do know folks that have been charged as well. Perhaps a call to a CO might be better advised? There is a CO on this form as well, perhaps he can chime in..

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
I sent am email to a CO I know. I will post up what he states..

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Here is his answer, I am leaving ihis name out of it. He is a CO out of the Kentville Office however....
Hi Lee

Yes you do. Once general deer season opens most of the exemptions for hunter orange do not apply. You can read the regulations by searching Nova Scotia hunter safety and training. It’s section 13. Basically until the start of general deer season if you are deer hunting (bow, muzzle, crossbow) or bear hunting you do not need orange in a blind or sitting stationary. If walking you require to wear it. Once general deer opens you require it all the time

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Actually Kevin if you read the Clause (1) right above what Gary highlighted it kind of covers that off...I will place that here (i) during any period of the open season for hunting under a deer hunting stamp (archery and muzzleloader) that does not overlap with the open season for hunting under a deer hunting stamp (general) in accordance with the Deer Hunting Regulations made under the Act, Our Regs suck, no question. Perhaps Gary should now get in touch with the Provincial Trg Coord at DNR and get that ironed out.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Magoo, AKA Gary, I agree. I think the entire situation is crazy. Hunting season, outside of Waterfowl/Coyote, should be Orange, We really never had any issues here with requirements until the "Jackie Bushman" generation of "Camo Hunters" got onboard. Now, it is a free for all. Even instruction is being given incorrectly. No fault of those involved, just that the regs are so intermingled and at times confusing.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
The Summary booklet is rather clear cut on the issue. However the Summary Booklet is not the act. Section 13 of the Act has one section (Sub Para) where it implies it is Ok to take the Orange off, while another section (Sub Para) states that it is not in overlapping seasons. Plus the CO In Kentville, which i placed his comment above, also states Hunter Orange is required. For us Trappers, in the General Rifle Season, we even have to wear Hunter Orange while in forested areas. To think that a Hunter in a blind or stand can go without it...well.... However most wear nothing but Camo these days...Looking forward to what Gary gets back..
IMO it is ridiculous that they don't provide accurate information to all especially instructors
Cheers

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Not many deer up in tree stands these days.
No, but there are lots of hunters getting down from those same stands in their camo heading out/in or even recovering Deer, in Camo, doing some awesome Selfies too..not to mention Ground Blinds which is a totally different issue...Then it would also depend on what elevation that stand might be in comparison to another Hunter coming along. Might appear at ground level to an unsuspecting Hunter from other directions. All speculation of course. The two key factors, safety then legality..No matter what answer Gary gets,(in reality the answer is already out there) most Hunters will wear Camo...Just the way the new generation has been told, taught, via media, TV, friends, ect..Like deer can see Hunter Orange..LOL

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
You want to talk about so called ethical hunters , how about the B.S Target shooters who get bored at their spot and go set up for a 2 hour , yes two fkn hours of blasting away and even using exploding targets , these blasts could be heard 2-3 kms away . I chitt you not this on a Saturday of opening weekend of general hunt . Go sit in a stand or blind you worked on since April-May with food plot / Mineral site on it then drag in 300 lbs of hand picked apples .

Lucky I had no cell service to call DLF , but then again our area has two wardens and ive met both One you can deal with very reasonable and get things done the other is just pure poison hes related to my son's GF as well my son works for DLF , even he had no cell reception that day and got NO WHERE when talked to a family relative whos a C.O. About that very situation , talk about being P%$$ed Offf !

Ethical hunters put that damm hard time in , not just two days before the season go slap a stand in and hope for the best , or having guys steal your fur of legally set traps , as you stated driving recklessly up the wood roads and beer / liquor containers littering the landscape with their garbage left behind . They are very same ones who will claim "oh that's this group or the other or some bunch from this or that place "

That's the type of crap you gotta deal with and guys and gals get pissy when you say sorry , no entry onto your private property without written consent , don't care what law says , stay off my land , after all that's when more pressing issues of theft , breakins , and damage occurs from unscrupulous individuals claiming to be Ethical Hunters .

As for the age limit of deer hunting , friggin right it should be lowered , my 3 kids had firearm safety drilled repeatedly over the yrs since they could walk , Ive dragged mine everywhere over last 24 yrs , even still I say to them watch your muzzle direction , safety on till time needed , know your target and what's behind it , watch direction you shoot ETC.
Hope when my time as Grandfather comes I get to do same with them as I did with my own and they teach their kids the same values I taught them as kids and even still as adults the things we share today .

Education is key and Hunter safety should be taught in school at the right age for those wishing to take the course, let the snowflakes go sit in the corner and twiddle their thumbs for all I care
I agree Hunter Education and safey are key. The Hunter Safety Course should focus on Law and Safety, after that then teach Ethics. Ethics mean nothing if you have no clue what the laws are...

Reactions: Tyson10gauge
1 - 12 of 12 Posts