Nova Scotia Hunting Forum banner
21 - 40 of 50 Posts

Registered
MWO has left
Here is his answer, I am leaving ihis name out of it. He is a CO out of the Kentville Office however....
Hi Lee

Yes you do. Once general deer season opens most of the exemptions for hunter orange do not apply. You can read the regulations by searching Nova Scotia hunter safety and training. It鈥檚 section 13. Basically until the start of general deer season if you are deer hunting (bow, muzzle, crossbow) or bear hunting you do not need orange in a blind or sitting stationary. If walking you require to wear it. Once general deer opens you require it all the time

Yes this is the regulation that I was aware of but was hesitant to jump in as clearly there is some disagreement.

But what I don鈥檛 get is : do bullets, bolts or arrows know when the General Season begins? In other words why is it safer in blinds, stands, trees, etc. before GS? - or why is it not as safe once GS starts and thus the orange requirement? My head hurts 馃

Registered
Magoo, AKA Gary, I agree. I think the entire situation is crazy. Hunting season, outside of Waterfowl/Coyote, should be Orange, We really never had any issues here with requirements until the "Jackie Bushman" generation of "Camo Hunters" got onboard. Now, it is a free for all. Even instruction is being given incorrectly. No fault of those involved, just that the regs are so intermingled and at times confusing.

Registered
posted something here by mistake - its in the deer success thread. cant figure out how to delete it here, lol. Guess have to post something.
Gary three dots on right had side of post .Top Dot is edit. You can back Space if your post is short to remove it .If long, highlight entire post and select all then backspace. Now you do have to post something like 鈥淧ost Removed. Thanks

Registered
The Summary booklet is rather clear cut on the issue. However the Summary Booklet is not the act. Section 13 of the Act has one section (Sub Para) where it implies it is Ok to take the Orange off, while another section (Sub Para) states that it is not in overlapping seasons. Plus the CO In Kentville, which i placed his comment above, also states Hunter Orange is required. For us Trappers, in the General Rifle Season, we even have to wear Hunter Orange while in forested areas. To think that a Hunter in a blind or stand can go without it...well.... However most wear nothing but Camo these days...Looking forward to what Gary gets back..
IMO it is ridiculous that they don't provide accurate information to all especially instructors
Cheers

Registered
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
The Summary booklet is rather clear cut on the issue. However the Summary Booklet is not the act. Section 13 of the Act has one section (Sub Para) where it implies it is Ok to take the Orange off, while another section (Sub Para) states that it is not in overlapping seasons. Plus the CO In Kentville, which i placed his comment above, also states Hunter Orange is required. For us Trappers, in the General Rifle Season, we even have to wear Hunter Orange while in forested areas. To think that a Hunter in a blind or stand can go without it...well.... However most wear nothing but Camo these days...Looking forward to what Gary gets back..
Sounds like the unloaded muzzy debate to me :)
Clear but not clear once investigated further
Cheers

Registered
Not many deer up in tree stands these days.
No, but there are lots of hunters getting down from those same stands in their camo heading out/in or even recovering Deer, in Camo, doing some awesome Selfies too..not to mention Ground Blinds which is a totally different issue...Then it would also depend on what elevation that stand might be in comparison to another Hunter coming along. Might appear at ground level to an unsuspecting Hunter from other directions. All speculation of course. The two key factors, safety then legality..No matter what answer Gary gets,(in reality the answer is already out there) most Hunters will wear Camo...Just the way the new generation has been told, taught, via media, TV, friends, ect..Like deer can see Hunter Orange..LOL

Registered
it could be in the pics they had their orange vest over their coat, and then during field dressing they took the coat off with the vest still on it. Possibility.

personally I have never had an issue with having to wear it. I don鈥檛 understand why anyone takes issue with having to. Deer are Color blind anyway, or mostly at least.

and Although it seems silly to need it while sitting way up a tree, that 10鈥 elevation only seems high when you are at the base of that tree. as Soon as you are on the other side of that field or cutting, 10鈥 up might look like ground level from there.

Back to the original topic I really wish they would lower the ages for hunting here. It鈥檚 a little ridiculous to have to wait until 16 to get a kid out deer hunting.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
it could be in the pics they had their orange vest over their coat, and then during field dressing they took the coat off with the vest still on it. Possibility.

personally I have never had an issue with having to wear it. I don鈥檛 understand why anyone takes issue with having to. Deer are Color blind anyway, or mostly at least.

and Although it seems silly to need it while sitting way up a tree, that 10鈥 elevation only seems high when you are at the base of that tree. as Soon as you are on the other side of that field or cutting, 10鈥 up might look like ground level from there.

Back to the original topic I really wish they would lower the ages for hunting here. It鈥檚 a little ridiculous to have to wait until 16 to get a kid out deer hunting.
IMO they can kill you just as quick with a shotgun as a rifle so why different
Cheers

Registered
3macs1
IMO they can kill you just as quick with a shotgun as a rifle so why different
Cheers

Agreed 鈥︹︹.. and if you wanted to hunt bear in your tree stand or blind on Sept 13th this year with a .300 Winchester Magnum in camo then fill your boots. On Oct 29th all bets were off and you needed blaze orange in your tree stand or blind with the same weapon hunting the same animal. Can someone square that circle 猸 for me?

- and for the record I don鈥檛 hunt bear but I support blaze orange in all hunting seasons.

Registered
I don鈥檛 understand what your point is 3macs about me saying that having to wait until 16 is ridiculous. I may just be misunderstanding it but do you imply that kids are too dangerous to let them deer hunt younger? Or do you think the shotgun age of 12 is too young also?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
I don鈥檛 understand what your point is 3macs about me saying that having to wait until 16 is ridiculous. I may just be misunderstanding it but do you imply that kids are too dangerous to let them deer hunt younger? Or do you think the shotgun age of 12 is too young also?
No I am saying if they can hunt with a shotgun at 12 why not a rifle also. I started shooting shotgun and reloading for it at age 8 and never hurt any one
Cheers

Administrator
But deer do stand 50 m behind a camouflaged ground blind 馃槦
Youre absolutely right ! you could be stark naked in that camo blind and from 50 m away, NO ONE will see you...orange, blue, white or nekked..if you're in an enclosed blind and the deer is between you (in the blind) and a hunter..then what diff is color going to make ??
I would like to think that some pre season scouting by BOTH parties would reveal the evidence of others in the area. Cars parked in the vicinity on a loggin road is enuff for ME to keep driving past. Not all hunters...people are like that though in this new age of hunters. Respect, courtesy and common sense are a dying breed now...sadly !

Administrator
I agree 1000% !!! 12 yrs old you're more than capable . NOT everyone is , but for the most part they are.

I've coached enough young shooters at the HWWA's Woods and Waters Weekends for the past 9 yrs...LOTS of 12, 13..up to 16 yr olds are more than capable of harvesting a big game animal here in NS. A little range time and some self assurance and guidance is all any one needs...regardless of age !!

21 - 40 of 50 Posts