Nova Scotia Hunting Forum banner
41 - 50 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
884 Posts
Youre absolutely right ! you could be stark naked in that camo blind and from 50 m away, NO ONE will see you...orange, blue, white or nekked..if you're in an enclosed blind and the deer is between you (in the blind) and a hunter..then what diff is color going to make ??
I would like to think that some pre season scouting by BOTH parties would reveal the evidence of others in the area. Cars parked in the vicinity on a loggin road is enuff for ME to keep driving past. Not all hunters...people are like that though in this new age of hunters. Respect, courtesy and common sense are a dying breed now...sadly !
I could spend the rest of my days posting about some of the so called ethical Hunters that I have met while hunting and the absolute bullchit they tried to pull off as to why they were standing or yet even more annoying ,four wheeling through the middle of the forest that our group was obviously hunting. I mean, when they go right by your hunting camp and vehicles, then up the only skidder track into the middle of the fresh cut ….. maybe hunters need to be sold a numbered flag with their hunting tags that need to be stuck into the ground as a way to claim your patch of hunting turf.🏕🛻

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Most kids from “hunting families”, are well schooled on firearms way before they are allowed to hunt. My 11 year old grandson is a hunting fanatic. His young life revolves around squirrel hunting. He knows gun safety because it’s constantly drilled in his head. This past January and February… we were in the woods a lot. Of course … if he saw a squirrel … I would hand over my 22 and let him have his fun. I could give a rats arse if it’s illegal or not (and I know it‘s not legal) … but what actual harm is he causing ?? He is learning to respect the firearm … he is learning marksmanship, and he is having fun. If kids are old enough to take the firearms safety course … they should be old enough to hunt. This kid just can’t wait until he’s old enough to hunt deer. He is using some of his hard earned money he saved to buy a grunt call … of all things. He’s ready … but not in the eyes of the government. Nova Scotia is such a backwards province.

·
Registered
14,910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
Don't know why some are stuck on the fact they have to use a rifle
Let them use their shotgun with buckshot or slugs and hunt under 16 over 16 allow the rifle. My first few deer were all with a 16ga and slug
In fact my old bud in his 70's who pretty much gets his deer every year has never owned a rifle that I can remember old 12ga gets them
Cheers

·
Registered
2,702 Posts
If you want the age limit, for hunting deer lowered, you need to put in the effort to get it changed. There used to be a lot of resistance, even within the hunting community. Not so many years ago (when I was a Director on the NSFAH Board - representing HWWA), resolutions were brought up and voted on (several times), to reduce the deer hunting age. It was voted down (majority vote) by other Directors (representing their respective club/association) - unbelievable really.
A couple "wins" over the years;
  • this one from NSFAH process - the reducing from 18 to 16 of companion moose hunters - cant apply for a tag at 16 however can be a companion hunter at 16.
  • this one from a meeting with a local farmers group where DNR were putting on a presentation - re nuisance wildlife - for some reason DNR had written that you had to be 18 to have a big game nuisance permit. After some discussion, DNR changed that to allow accompanied 16 yr olds to obtain a nuisance big game permit if all other requirements met.
The NSFAH used to have the govt's ear, at times - not sure where all that lies now. But always figured if enough people put in the effort to write/call/use social media to politicians, certain players at the Wildlife Division, etc something may change. It does work sometimes.

·
Registered
2,702 Posts
Received the answer from DLF -

the statement posted by MWO is correct. Here's the verification he (MWO) posted from the CO;

"Yes you do. Once general deer season opens most of the exemptions for hunter orange do not apply. You can read the regulations by searching Nova Scotia hunter safety and training. It’s section 13. Basically until the start of general deer season if you are deer hunting (bow, muzzle, crossbow) or bear hunting you do not need orange in a blind or sitting stationary. If walking you require to wear it. Once general deer opens you require it all the time"

Here's section 13, from the Hunter Ed & Safety Regs where it comes from;

(i) during any period of the open season for hunting under a deer hunting stamp (archery and muzzleloader) that does not overlap with the open season for hunting under a deer hunting stamp (general) in accordance with the Deer Hunting Regulations made under the Act,

(i) a person hunting bear under a bear hunting stamp who is hunting bear from a stationary standing or sitting position at or near a bait site, or

(ii) a person hunting under a deer hunting stamp who is hunting deer from a tree stand or blind;

Clause 13(2)(i) replaced: O.I.C. 2013-212, N.S. Reg. 235/2013.

this is the explanation I received from DLF;

section (i) under the bolded (i) re bear hunting is an example, DLF added, to try & provide clarification for hunters using a bear hunting stamp.

section (ii) under the bolded (i) re a person under a deer hunting stamp... is an example, DLF added to try & provide clarification for hunters using an Archery & Muzzleloader deer hunting stamp.

Further to this, DLF informed me they are working on improvements to the Summary (paper & on line booklet) for 2022.

·
Administrator
10,319 Posts
'They really need to address the book layout !! Your general tag is on the opposite page from the notches you need to cut out for month and day !! LOTS of folks have cut their tags out...then notched the triangles on the same page...which is wrong ! Pretty simple fix.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Yup it’s ridiculous you practically need to be a trained lawyer to read the instructions for our tags and hunting rules.

waterfowl is no better. With different start/end dates for ducks vs geese in different zones. And then different bag limits for black ducks on certain dates in different zones. Zone lines are rivers in places so sitting on the wrong bank makes you illegal, and if you sit on the right side but it falls on the other side you’re illegal again. I wish it was all easier to makes sense of.

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
I could spend the rest of my days posting about some of the so called ethical Hunters that I have met while hunting and the absolute bullchit they tried to pull off as to why they were standing or yet even more annoying ,four wheeling through the middle of the forest that our group was obviously hunting. I mean, when they go right by your hunting camp and vehicles, then up the only skidder track into the middle of the fresh cut ….. maybe hunters need to be sold a numbered flag with their hunting tags that need to be stuck into the ground as a way to claim your patch of hunting turf.🏕🛻
You want to talk about so called ethical hunters , how about the B.S Target shooters who get bored at their spot and go set up for a 2 hour , yes two fkn hours of blasting away and even using exploding targets , these blasts could be heard 2-3 kms away . I chitt you not this on a Saturday of opening weekend of general hunt . Go sit in a stand or blind you worked on since April-May with food plot / Mineral site on it then drag in 300 lbs of hand picked apples .

Lucky I had no cell service to call DLF , but then again our area has two wardens and ive met both One you can deal with very reasonable and get things done the other is just pure poison hes related to my son's GF as well my son works for DLF , even he had no cell reception that day and got NO WHERE when talked to a family relative whos a C.O. About that very situation , talk about being P%$$ed Offf !

Ethical hunters put that damm hard time in , not just two days before the season go slap a stand in and hope for the best , or having guys steal your fur of legally set traps , as you stated driving recklessly up the wood roads and beer / liquor containers littering the landscape with their garbage left behind . They are very same ones who will claim "oh that's this group or the other or some bunch from this or that place "

That's the type of crap you gotta deal with and guys and gals get pissy when you say sorry , no entry onto your private property without written consent , don't care what law says , stay off my land , after all that's when more pressing issues of theft , breakins , and damage occurs from unscrupulous individuals claiming to be Ethical Hunters .

As for the age limit of deer hunting , friggin right it should be lowered , my 3 kids had firearm safety drilled repeatedly over the yrs since they could walk , Ive dragged mine everywhere over last 24 yrs , even still I say to them watch your muzzle direction , safety on till time needed , know your target and what's behind it , watch direction you shoot ETC.
Hope when my time as Grandfather comes I get to do same with them as I did with my own and they teach their kids the same values I taught them as kids and even still as adults the things we share today .

Education is key and Hunter safety should be taught in school at the right age for those wishing to take the course, let the snowflakes go sit in the corner and twiddle their thumbs for all I care

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
You want to talk about so called ethical hunters , how about the B.S Target shooters who get bored at their spot and go set up for a 2 hour , yes two fkn hours of blasting away and even using exploding targets , these blasts could be heard 2-3 kms away . I chitt you not this on a Saturday of opening weekend of general hunt . Go sit in a stand or blind you worked on since April-May with food plot / Mineral site on it then drag in 300 lbs of hand picked apples .

Lucky I had no cell service to call DLF , but then again our area has two wardens and ive met both One you can deal with very reasonable and get things done the other is just pure poison hes related to my son's GF as well my son works for DLF , even he had no cell reception that day and got NO WHERE when talked to a family relative whos a C.O. About that very situation , talk about being P%$$ed Offf !

Ethical hunters put that damm hard time in , not just two days before the season go slap a stand in and hope for the best , or having guys steal your fur of legally set traps , as you stated driving recklessly up the wood roads and beer / liquor containers littering the landscape with their garbage left behind . They are very same ones who will claim "oh that's this group or the other or some bunch from this or that place "

That's the type of crap you gotta deal with and guys and gals get pissy when you say sorry , no entry onto your private property without written consent , don't care what law says , stay off my land , after all that's when more pressing issues of theft , breakins , and damage occurs from unscrupulous individuals claiming to be Ethical Hunters .

As for the age limit of deer hunting , friggin right it should be lowered , my 3 kids had firearm safety drilled repeatedly over the yrs since they could walk , Ive dragged mine everywhere over last 24 yrs , even still I say to them watch your muzzle direction , safety on till time needed , know your target and what's behind it , watch direction you shoot ETC.
Hope when my time as Grandfather comes I get to do same with them as I did with my own and they teach their kids the same values I taught them as kids and even still as adults the things we share today .

Education is key and Hunter safety should be taught in school at the right age for those wishing to take the course, let the snowflakes go sit in the corner and twiddle their thumbs for all I care
I agree Hunter Education and safey are key. The Hunter Safety Course should focus on Law and Safety, after that then teach Ethics. Ethics mean nothing if you have no clue what the laws are...

Reactions: Tyson10gauge
41 - 50 of 50 Posts